Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How Do YOU Avoid Emotional Eating?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

Bra Stops Emotional Eating Because We Apparently Can't Do It Ourselves

by Emily Abbate

LingerieAhhh, emotional eating. I think it's safe to say that you, your best friend, your sister's mother-in-law, heck -- everyone you know: they've all been there. Whether it's a bad day at the office or a frustrating fight with the man in your life -- there's comfort knowing that there's always that trusty best friend waiting for you at home in the back right corner of your pantry (or better yet, your freezer). Well get this: Microsoft is helping to develop a bra that tells women when to stop eating. Yes, I'm serious.

This is how it works: the bra holds an EKG sensor near the heart, so whenever the readings reach levels indicative of high-stress, the bra sends a message through a mobile app (appropriately called EmoTree) that sends the user an alert that they may be at risk of overeating.

So let me get this straight: The bra essentially senses when you're freaking out? Shoot, I'd be getting text messages ALL the time.

But on a serious note -- I think as women we owe it to ourselves to search out some other outlet besides a bra/a text message combination to curb emotional eating. Let's be serious: if you enable your emotions to REALLY get the best of you that often, so much so that you feel like you have to invest in some sort of device to stop it, well, that's a problem.

A better solution? Talk to your friends. Talk to your coworker. Talk to SOMEONE. The best thing you can do for yourself when you're feeling stressed and upset is get out your feelings. Sure, you can still indulge in that extra special sundae. But believe-you-me, that sundae will taste better if you feel like you've expressed your concerns by the last spoonful instead of holding it all in, 1,472 calories later.

But hey, 10 points for creativity, Microsoft.

Are you a big emotional eater?

How do you avoid emotional or stress eating?

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
Ready for Fall:)
Yesterday at 7:15 PM
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I have alot of emotional stress.

These are the things that are really helping me.

1)I have started journaling this as well as what I eat.

2)I try to avoid people places and things that trigger emotional eating.

3)I try to stay postive and focus on my goals.

4)I keep healthy snacks around me.So if I do binge I binge healthy..lol..

5)I avoid eating out as much as possible.I have no idea whats in the food.Lack of control.

jlinville30
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I eat when I am stressed or just bored and tired but I have learned that the best way for me to curb that habit is by cross stitching and since I have like 2 projects in the works my hands are rarely idle so I ain't grabbing junk food to eat anymore.

srehman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I don't keep trigger foods in the house. (Every once in a while I will bring in cookies [oreos] for dd lunch or treat, but it's very seldom). By not having these things here I don't have anything to binge on.
I will drink water or just stay frustrated. Lol but eating or over eating no. I've even stopped eating at buffets completely. It's so easy to get stressed out before going to eat and the. Eat 4000 calories and not realize it.
Liz132
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don't know if this is a healthy way to deal with this problem or not but if I feel like I want to eat because I'm bored or stressed I drink a cup of tea or coffee instead. Going out for a walk or doing some work in my garden helps too I usually feel much better after spending some time out doors.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Will power
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
This. Sometimes I get so stressed out and overwhelmed that it takes everything in me not to reach for the junk food.

Quoting atlmom2: Will power
atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I don't buy it.

Quoting SexyDiva19: This. Sometimes I get so stressed out and overwhelmed that it takes everything in me not to reach for the junk food.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
My brother and son are junk food addicts lol Chips, cookie, soda etc

Quoting atlmom2: I don't buy it.

Quoting SexyDiva19: This. Sometimes I get so stressed out and overwhelmed that it takes everything in me not to reach for the junk food.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Tell them no. A lifestyle change for the better for everyone. No one needs junk.

Quoting SexyDiva19: My brother and son are junk food addicts lol Chips, cookie, soda etc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM
lol no one is my household is trying to lose weight except me so it's hard to dictate what they eat. My brother and my son are both skinny sticks lmao Having a high metabolism both of them could eat 10 pizzas and not gain a pound.

I unfortunately was not blessed with high metabolism along with my PCOS. I'm trying to find the right combo of foods to eat to help move along my weight loss. I am not losing well at all

Quoting atlmom2: Tell them no. A lifestyle change for the better for everyone. No one needs junk.

Quoting SexyDiva19: My brother and son are junk food addicts lol Chips, cookie, soda etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)