Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge Day 2: Substitute Healthy Options

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM
  • 75 Replies

Welcome to Day 2 of the Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge!

3500 calories equal one pound. A typical holiday meal averages 2500 calories! The best way to stay on track is to eat within your calories and maintain portion control. You can also make holiday dishes lower in calories and fat by substituting traditional ingredients for healthier options.

Here are a few tips to cutting down the calories in your holiday dishes.

• For recipes that call for heavy cream, substitute for skim milk or fat-free half and half
  • Use egg substitutes or egg whites whenever possible
  • When baking, use olive oil instead of butter. Or to completely cut out the fat, use applesauce or mashed bananas in place of oil.
  •  Use cocoa powder instead of chocolate in baking for that rich chocolate-y flavor without all the calories and fat
  • Use low fat versions of mayonnaise, sour cream and yogurt when making dips
  • Make homemade salsa and baked tortilla chips to serve instead of store bought
  • Use low sodium, low fat broths when making soups

What substitutes do you use when cooking/baking?

Do you have any healthy option holiday recipes to share with us?

Bonus: Stay Fit Activity - Get outside and play with the kids. Whether it is building a snowman, making snow angels or sledding with the kids, playing outside will burn a lot of calories.  If you do not live in a climate that has snow, you can still find a lot of outdoor activities to do with your kids. You can click here to see how many calories you burn doing various activities.

snowgirlOne member who signs up for our Holiday  Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Our Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge and WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laura1204
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I tend to use low fat dressings when making my dishes. I use ff sour cream and gluten free mushroom soup when i make my cheesy potatoes. You cant tell in the taste at all.

jlinville30
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I use the more natural of sweetners because I have to use less then is required in a receipe.

Fuchia05
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I try to use the natural sweeteners instead.

AromaDrops33
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Low fat dressings, low sodium options, instead of oil I use applesauce
chandlerjsmom
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I try and use the low/ non fat versions of sour cream and yogurt.
HisAngel91
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I use Splenda and other sweeteners that is ok for diabetics.
NWP
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I actually prefer cocoa powder over chocolate in desserts. Plus we cook with yogurt instead of milk or cream in baked good. I try to fill up on lots of veggies and avoid the complex carbs

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I bake with flax eggs, I use almond milk in place of milk or cream, and sometimes sub applesauce for butter, although sometimes it just doesn't work. I always pick low sodium broths, and if I can get away with it I use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't do much for substitutions. I prefer real food in moderation vs chemically altered versions. That said my thanksgiving meal consisted of green beans sautéed in a splash of olive oil with garlic and almonds, sweet potatoes mashed and seasoned with nutmeg and cinnamon then baked, turkey, homemade cranberry sauce. The only fattening dish was my potatoes with cream cheese, cheese and sour cream. But I made a small batch 5 lbs of potatoes for 15 people). So the potatoes were my only splurge! I had a normal sized serving and was satisfied.

Honey in place of sugar, or other applesauce in place of a fat are my only real subs. But I refuse to use low fat/fat free etc versions of things because they are processed.
Roomfor1more
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Low fat dressings, natural sweeteners & bake rather than fry things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN