Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Oh Crap...

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

I was doing my best.  I was exercising every day, eating less, drinking more water.  I was losing weight and feeling good.

And then... the stomach flu hit!  And then... DH, the kids and I went away for a couple of days for some R&R and some Christmas shopping!  And then... well I just haven't been able to motivate myself to get moving again.  HELP!

On the plus side, the stomach flu cause me to lose 8 lbs in a matter of two days and I've managed to keep 3 of it off thus far.

Words of encouragement needed!

Suggestions on how to stick with it when you are away from home, staying in hotels and eating out would be greatly appreciated (we are going away again sometime after Christmas for a couple of days and I don't want everything to fall apart again).

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

When eating out the foods are extremely tempting and the portions are immensely huge.  What I've done is stick to chef salads or else split my meal with DH or one of the kids.  I avoid desserts for myself and just ask for a bite or two of dessert from DH. 

Hotels usually have pools.  Swimming is great fun exercise, and if you take the stairs instead of the elevator that will give you some good leg work.

HAVE FUN!

mrsary
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I have no idea!
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I can't help you...I've been makin food for friends and neighbors and am guilty of making my gifts smaller than intended because IM EATING IT ALL!!!!
And I haven't been to the gym since last week due to finals and now I'm fighting a sinus infection.
Just lovely.
Good luck!
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM

This is really good advice. I will usually make use of the hotel gym (usually just a few weights and treadmill) and the pool as well.

Quoting michiganmom116:

When eating out the foods are extremely tempting and the portions are immensely huge.  What I've done is stick to chef salads or else split my meal with DH or one of the kids.  I avoid desserts for myself and just ask for a bite or two of dessert from DH. 

Hotels usually have pools.  Swimming is great fun exercise, and if you take the stairs instead of the elevator that will give you some good leg work.

HAVE FUN!

srehman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this
If eating out I try to google the restaurant and their nutrition. Then I eat accordingly. Ask for it to be cooked in light oil, no sauce or sauce on the side. Enjoy yourself but don't go overboard by eating like someone who never had bread before ;-) if you go to an Italian place ask them to hold the bread/rolls etc. Ask them to modify your order (as mentioned above). And drink water and not any alcohol. (I am a fruity drinker...margarita, daiquiri etc). Or ask for a glass of wine at the end of your meal.
Good luck! Have fun momma! Try not to stress either!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

When I am staying in a hotel, I'll generally look for a hotel with a kitchen if at all possible, then I can cook still.  You can also look at menu nutrition info online and plan ahead that way.

Even if I don't have a kitchen, when I arrive at a new place, the first thing I do is head to the grocery store and stock up on things like fruit and veggies and snacks that are healthy.  I like to at least have a mini fridge.  Then I can get milk and some Kashi Go Lean cereal or something like that, too.  Even a little peanut butter (Whole Foods usually has a grinder, and you can make a small amount).

I'll ask at the front desk about running paths, and take a look on Google for ideas.  Great way to explore a new city!  I had a great time on early morning runs in Seattle earlier this year.  I stopped in at the hotel gym as well, and on other trips, I've used the pool.  They're rarely long enough for laps, but the water can be good resistance for some exercises.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

kirbymom
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I try to limit the amount of food I eat. And I try not to eat at bedtime. Drink iced lemon water. It keeps me from drinking the dark sodas and caloried drinks.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM

These ladies have some great ideas...good luck!

MooNFaeRie30
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 5:30 AM

I have the loseit! app on my phone and it helps me because it has a TON of restaurants around the country so I can till log when I am not home and i See what I am eating so it helps me stay ficused.

3Xthelove
by Heather on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM
All excellent ideas! Hope they helped and you are feeling better!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)