Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How to get your child to gain weight

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 11 Replies
So recently I've noticed my daughter has lost a little weight. She's 7 and tall for her age. We recently moved and my fiance and I put her in a karate class that she absolutely loves. She's a very picky eater and only wants to eat certain things and very little. With her doing karate she's lost a little weight. I started giving her pediasure and making her eat her food and more of it. Is there another form of drink like pediasure that can make her gain some weight.
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM
My daughter is naturally on the thin side. She's 14 though, and already has her monthly, and had a fainting episode once (too many) from a busy day and her not eating well so now I make her drink a smoothie at least once a day. She's not big on meat (I told her she needs to research her planned diet and let me know how she intends on getting proper nutrition BEFORE I allow her to become a vegetarian) and is very active. I use frozen mango, orange juice, protein powder, spinach and ginger in hers. She also likes strawberries spinach, orange juice, protein powder and blueberries. If she has an all day event (she plays golf and often goes to swim parties) I make her drink one with her breakfast - usually orange juice, banana, protein powder, oatmeal...whatever concoction possible.
I try not to over-worry with my daughter. I've voiced my concerns to her doctor but she's healthy and rarely sick (maybe a cold once a year!) and active. We just try to give her healthy options in the house and I pack her healthy snacks for when she's out and hope that she eats and makes good choices when she's not with me.
If you're really concerned talk it over with a pediatrician and try the smoothies. Kids vary so much and once their in school it's so hard to keep track of everything they are and how busy they are.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM

After reading the ingredient list for Pediasure  http://abbottnutrition.com/brands/products/Pediasure, I would/have NEVER give(n) it to my kids...but that's my preference.

My kids are encouraged to ditch the processed and junk foods (which they do since I don't keep it in the house) and enjoy things made from nutritious whole foods.  We're not afraid of fats like real butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and full-fat foods.  Coconut milk (full-fat) is great for making smoothies with frozen fruit or nut butter and cocoa powder.  I keep snacks like hard boiled eggs, cheese, veggies & homemade dip, grain-free muffins, fruit, and even homemade potato chips (baked with olive oil, like kale chips) handy. 

My failure-to-thrive child has grown (finally) after we changed to eating this way.

hismrsramirez86
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Thank You very much I will definitely try the smoothies :)
atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Keep offering all foods, not just what she will eat. What does the doctor say. Where is she on the charts for height and weight??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Welcome to the group!  My son is primarily fed through a feeding tube and he used to get Pediasure through it until about 3 months ago.  Now he's on Compleat Pediatric...it's a special formula just for g-tubes and it's just fruits, veggies, and meats....no added sugar or preservatives.  He does much better on it and it makes him less bloated.  He does eat baby food by mouth though....he's making progress!

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Thanks for asking this, have the same prob with my youngest, last time he had the flu he lost weight and was so skinny it was terrible. I mean he is just thin now but I worry if he was to get sick like that again.

hismrsramirez86
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM
The doctors consider her overweight because she's tall for her age she gets mistaken for an 8yr old. She just turned 7 so shes a pretty tall girl.
BDSMI
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
We add protein powder to his almond milk make Smoothies using whatever on hand my son wasn't even on the charts he was so under weight in one year working with a nutritionist he has gone from 55 lbs to 90 lbs he is 14
mrsary
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Long as she is healthy she will gain weight with age.
eevers55
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Make your own smoothies with whole fat milk/yogurt. We do greek yogurt with protein when my daughter needed to gain weight.
But she's also 3.

I also made a lot of healthy carb meals. Lentil tacos, homemade chili, homemade spaghetti sauce with wheat pasta & bread. Things I know she'll eat that will fatten her up, but without all the salt and sugar and stuff from canned products.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)