Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do they do it?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
  • 17 Replies
How do the contestants on The Biggest Loser lose so much weight without starving themselves?

I mean I know they are monitored closely but when losing weight you are advised to only lose 1-2 lbs per week. Why?
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM
BUMP!!
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM

They exercise for about 4 hours a day minimum... They don't eat processed food... Subway helps sponsor it so they get to eat that for an episode... But Jillian  told a magazine that they don't keep white flour, white sugar or butter in the house for them. Read they eat a lot of asparagus before a weigh in because its a diuretic. They dehydrate themselves before weighing in... Like the last 24 hours to shed the water weight. One article I read said that they also wear tons for layers of clothing while working out to sweat more... But we only see part of it and they would not show that on camera. Also from the one week we also see they take caffeine pills... So who knows what else they take supervised.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/health-on-the-small-screen/former-extreme-makeover-weight-loss-edition-cast-member-blows-whistle-on-shows-practices/

the link above is one guy explaining the unhealthy side of Extreme Weight Loss the show.

If you ever seen the show I Use To Be Fat on MTV... Where young adults use their summer before college or high school to lose weight... The one trainer Joey Gloor got some people to lose as much as 100 pounds or something high like that... He said in an article that those clients were working out as much as 6 hours a day!!!

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Yea I loved that show. I stool sometimes watch it in MTV.com Thanks for the link. I'll check it out

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/health-on-the-small-screen/former-extreme-makeover-weight-loss-edition-cast-member-blows-whistle-on-shows-practices/

the link above is one guy explaining the unhealthy side of Extreme Weight Loss the show.

If you ever seen the show I Use To Be Fat on MTV... Where young adults use their summer before college or high school to lose weight... The one trainer Joey Gloor got some people to lose as much as 100 pounds or something high like that... He said in an article that those clients were working out as much as 6 hours a day!!!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM

No problem... The shows are meant to inspire people... But you have to think of is... Those contestants literally are making working out and nutrition a full time job... Real life doesn't happen that way. So you make changes and aim for the 1-2 pounds.... My one triangle once told me you aim for one and anything more is bonus.

Quoting SexyDiva19: Yea I loved that show. I stool sometimes watch it in MTV.com Thanks for the link. I'll check it out

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Several former contestants have come out against the show, saying that what they were forced to do was essentially unsafe, and that they did, indeed, starve themselves. The show has unethical practices, and 90% of the contestants gain back their weight, in full. 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Random fact... You are inspiring... And knowledgable ^_^

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Several former contestants have come out against the show, saying that what they were forced to do was essentially unsafe, and that they did, indeed, starve themselves. The show has unethical practices, and 90% of the contestants gain back their weight, in full. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time, you made me smile. Thank you. :-)

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Random fact... You are inspiring... And knowledgable ^_^

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I refuse to watch it because I'm SURE they do some pretty unhealthy things to lose the weight for the show.

I think it gives really unrealistic ideas of how fast you can lose weight and I won't watch it for those reasons

MrsMelisG
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I lost 40 lbs in 10 weeks and I did NOT starve myself. I actually ate more then I have ever eaten before and I work out and actually liked it.  I did not lose as much as they did in a short time but for me 40 lbs was drastic and I never felt better.  If you want information on what I did just message me :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)