Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Help!!!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 23 Replies
I'm Type 1 Diabetic and i can't stop eating and y sugars are wack because i get hungry and my nutritionist wants me to be on a non fat diet and i only weigh 138!!!! I can't possibly eat like a bird!
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM
How long have you been diabetic?

First off, you dont need to eat like a bird. You need to do some research (Google is your friend!) and you need to sit down with your nutritionalist and tell them how you feel, or get a new one. Your nutritionalist can be a lifesaver, or, dead weight.

You need to eat "healthy". And you need to eat lots of little meals. That's something that should be explained from the beginning. No processed foods - think "clean" eating. Whole grains, fresh or frozen veggies, lean meats. I know you're supposed to be "non-fat" but you have an amazing amount of options available to you and really, with a little research you'll learn what is available to you AND you will be feeling a lot better.
Ricanmami88
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Since i was 10 and thanks :-)

Quoting mybratsmom: How long have you been diabetic?

First off, you dont need to eat like a bird. You need to do some research (Google is your friend!) and you need to sit down with your nutritionalist and tell them how you feel, or get a new one. Your nutritionalist can be a lifesaver, or, dead weight.

You need to eat "healthy". And you need to eat lots of little meals. That's something that should be explained from the beginning. No processed foods - think "clean" eating. Whole grains, fresh or frozen veggies, lean meats. I know you're supposed to be "non-fat" but you have an amazing amount of options available to you and really, with a little research you'll learn what is available to you AND you will be feeling a lot better.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
No fat? That does not sound right...non fat products have more sugars in them than full fat products as a whole. Healthy fats should not raise your insulin...those would include olive oil, butter, coconut oil, ghee, avocadoes,nuts and nut butters...starchy items I can understand but fats I don't.
I would definitely speak with your nutritionist and get clarification asap. I do not know enough about Type 1 to be much help...it just sounds off about the fats.
Ricanmami88
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Yeah it didn't seem to make sense thanks for the info

Quoting mcginnisc: No fat? That does not sound right...non fat products have more sugars in them than full fat products as a whole. Healthy fats should not raise your insulin...those would include olive oil, butter, coconut oil, ghee, avocadoes,nuts and nut butters...starchy items I can understand but fats I don't.

I would definitely speak with your nutritionist and get clarification asap. I do not know enough about Type 1 to be much help...it just sounds off about the fats.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I agree here....good luck!

Quoting mcginnisc: No fat? That does not sound right...non fat products have more sugars in them than full fat products as a whole. Healthy fats should not raise your insulin...those would include olive oil, butter, coconut oil, ghee, avocadoes,nuts and nut butters...starchy items I can understand but fats I don't.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If you are diabetic you need to stay away from any food that has "fat free" on it's package. When a company removes the fat from a product they jack up the sugar to get the taste where they want it. Fat free foods have two to three times more sugar than full fat food products. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a diabetic and have turned totally away from what the diabetic nutritionist told me.  She told me the same thing:  non-fat, lots of whole grains (lots of carbs), fruit juice (100% sugar), and cut way back on meats/poultry/fish (0 carbs in those foods.)  I was to be sure to get 130g of carbs a day.  She even told me to keep regular soda on hand for when my blood glucose levels dropped too low...she said honey (natural glucose/fructose) wasn't adequate.  I about fainted...there's much more in soda than SUGAR that I wanted to avoid.  I tried it her way for two months and my blood sugars (with meds and insulin) were uncontrollable, well within the 300 - 400 range.  Anyway...

CARBS turn to glucose in our bodies....we need to avoid eating many carbs no matter if they are complex or simple.  Did you know that the very first prescription for early diabetic treatment was a low carb diet?  The diet recommended avoiding breads, pasta, and cereal along with sugary fruits.  Watch your carb count, and stick to 60 to 80g of carbs a day or whatever your body/insulin can handle.  My doctor totally agrees with this (he's new school thinking....)

When cutting carbs, you're also cutting an energy source for your body.  So, the next preferred choice is fat, a more efficient fuel when compared gram for gram to carbs.  Eat healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, full fat coconut milk (unsweetened stuff), nuts (not peanuts), fatty fish such as tuna/salmon/mackerel, real cream and butter, avocados (think guacamole, pureed as a base for non-dairy puddings, in salads, on tacos.)  By eating more fats, you'll also feel full longer.

Google paleo or primal diet...it's done WONDERS for my blood sugar control and overall health and energy levels.  JERF!  (just eat real food)

Andrewsmom70
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Focus on lean proteins and veggies (green lettuces, broccoli, green beans, yellow squash/zucchini, cabbage, other types of greens, etc) if you eat those foods, you'll stay fuller longer and get more bang for your buck so to speak. Using healthy oils to prepare your foods will be good for you.

Some fruits and some carbs are ok but only in moderation. 

Ricanmami88
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM
That whole paragraph my nutrionist said the exact same thing thank you so much for the useful info my sugars are in that range too my sugats weren't bad before but all the sudden they don't want to cooperate and i don't want to be giving myself so much insulin.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm a diabetic and have turned totally away from what the diabetic nutritionist told me.  She told me the same thing:  non-fat, lots of whole grains (lots of carbs), fruit juice (100% sugar), and cut way back on meats/poultry/fish (0 carbs in those foods.)  I was to be sure to get 130g of carbs a day.  She even told me to keep regular soda on hand for when my blood glucose levels dropped too low...she said honey (natural glucose/fructose) wasn't adequate.  I about fainted...there's much more in soda than SUGAR that I wanted to avoid.  I tried it her way for two months and my blood sugars (with meds and insulin) were uncontrollable, well within the 300 - 400 range.  Anyway...

CARBS turn to glucose in our bodies....we need to avoid eating many carbs no matter if they are complex or simple.  Did you know that the very first prescription for early diabetic treatment was a low carb diet?  The diet recommended avoiding breads, pasta, and cereal along with sugary fruits.  Watch your carb count, and stick to 60 to 80g of carbs a day or whatever your body/insulin can handle.  My doctor totally agrees with this (he's new school thinking....)

When cutting carbs, you're also cutting an energy source for your body.  So, the next preferred choice is fat, a more efficient fuel when compared gram for gram to carbs.  Eat healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, full fat coconut milk (unsweetened stuff), nuts (not peanuts), fatty fish such as tuna/salmon/mackerel, real cream and butter, avocados (think guacamole, pureed as a base for non-dairy puddings, in salads, on tacos.)  By eating more fats, you'll also feel full longer.

Google paleo or primal diet...it's done WONDERS for my blood sugar control and overall health and energy levels.  JERF!  (just eat real food)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Low carb is the answer....low to moderate carb intake.   If you need more ideas for what to eat or how to do it, I can try to help.

Quoting Ricanmami88: That whole paragraph my nutrionist said the exact same thing thank you so much for the useful info my sugars are in that range too my sugats weren't bad before but all the sudden they don't want to cooperate and i don't want to be giving myself so much insulin.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)