Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Genetics and body?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hey all! 

During the festive season I had noticed something in my family.... I ll start from Xmas eve..

xmas eve: my partner and I hosted a get together for friends and family, friends of mine came over 6 months pp and as small as ever( 54kg)! On top of this my sis in law was over as well she 1 year pp and had just won a modleing completion(50kg)... Myself 8 months pp and have been stuck at 60 kg for months now... Despite working out with weights 5-6 days per week and eating impeccably.

Xmas day: started the day with brunch at my partners family, they are all slender and fit, me however being the biggest of them all. We then made our way to my family lunch.looking around I had never noticed before that the only people there that were not of the valumpious variety where not even related!? Therego, myself being the smallest of my family...and yet the biggest in my partners?

my question to you all today is in your opinion how much is body size and shape determind by genetics? Does any one have similar stories? Would love to hear on how others have coped... Because honestly I'm not coping too well.

love to you all during the holiday season xxx 

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loramartin418
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

my brother is tall and super skinny but so is his dad... i swear he can eat until he explodes and never gain weight but he cant gain muscle either... 

me on the other hand i am a foot shorter than him and 60lbs heavier... my father is heavy as was his entire family and our mother is short... 

genetics play a big part but so does lifestyle. i have the build to be smaller IF i ate correctly and worked out regularly. (my daughter btw has the tall skinny jeans... so jealous) the majority of my friends are smaller pp and it sooo sucks but honestly i cope by reminding myself that only i can change the numbers on my scale... my dad always said if you dont like something about yourself change it!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM
4 moms liked this

It's really about 10% genetics, and most of that determines distribution more than size.  Think pear versus apple versus hourglass.  But you can build muscle, focusing on the areas that you want to make larger to balance youself out.

However, if you look at the eating habits of families that are larger than more slender, you'll see a big difference.

I come from a big Italian family, and I'm one of the smallest people in my family now that I've lost weight.  But everything surrounds food- weddings, travel, anniversaries, graduations, birthdays, funerals, it's always the food that comes first.  It's no shock that everyone in my family is large.  But families I've spent holidays with or attended funerals or weddings for where people are slender, the food is much less a part of things.

I think a lot of people WANT to blame genetics, and justify things, where lifestyle changes would make a big difference if they would take a good hard look.  It took me a good 30 years to get there myself, but really, my portions were huge and I ate for the sake of eating.  I had to get real.  Now I'm the thinnest I've been in my life.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaRahRah
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Thank you for your reply :).   I completely agree with your dad if u don't like something change it, however in my case I am doing all can in my lifestyle to change it, even though I am "small" in my fam I and "curvier" in my partners... My question is is there a limit for how much you can lose( before being unhealthy) and dose this number change due to gentics?

MamaRahRah
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Love your advice music ! I m feeling better already from the replies thank you everyone I guess I am having a moment of weakness, lossing the weight slowly is quite disheartening 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Quoting MamaRahRah:

Thank you for your reply :).   I completely agree with your dad if u don't like something change it, however in my case I am doing all can in my lifestyle to change it, even though I am "small" in my fam I and "curvier" in my partners... My question is is there a limit for how much you can lose( before being unhealthy) and dose this number change due to gentics?

Yes.  Some people do have larger frames than others, or are more dense.  For example, at 155 lbs, I'm a size 6.  But many people at 155 lbs are much larger.

The most common way nutritionists figure out your IBW (ideal body weight) is to add 5 lbs for every inch over 5' to 100 lbs (so for 5' tall, 100 lbs, for 5'1", 105, and so forth), plus or minus 10%.  So for me, at 5'4", my IBW is 108-132.  However, I still feel like 132 is on the really low end for me (my original ultimate goal was 134, half my original body weight, but I'm just losing until I feel like I'm "done" at this point). 

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I can understand that!  It's a lesson in patience for sure!  We all have those weak moments, where it feels like we just want the weight to be GONE!  But stick with it.  It'll happen!!  :)

Quoting MamaRahRah:

Love your advice music ! I m feeling better already from the replies thank you everyone I guess I am having a moment of weakness, lossing the weight slowly is quite disheartening 

Suzanne

MamaRahRah
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You are an angel music xxx  thank you for the encouragement 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I think genetics plays a huge roll. I won the genetic lottery in my family, and they will all tell you so if asked. My mother is a large woman. Even at her thinnest, she's a large woman. She isn't that tall at 5'7", but it is physically impossible for her to get below 160 pounds and a size 12. She's just a big boned woman, with broad shoulders and very large calves. My brother and sister are carbon copies of my mother. My sister can lose weight, but it's a struggle for her, and she can't get below a size 12 either, no matter how much effort she puts in. 

I'm 5'9", but I got my Dad's small framed Irish genes. It's very difficult for me to get OVER 160, and a size 12 is the largest I have ever been, post-partum. I look nothing like my siblings.

It's hard for my mom and sister sometimes I think, they make comments to me that make me feel bad sometimes that it's so much harder for them to try to get and stay healthy. 

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I was skinny till I was 30 and pregnant. I am 5 ft 2 and was 105 or 110. Now I am over 50 and trying to lose 70lbs just to get to the top of my weight range.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

It's really about 10% genetics, and most of that determines distribution more than size.  Think pear versus apple versus hourglass.  But you can build muscle, focusing on the areas that you want to make larger to balance youself out.

However, if you look at the eating habits of families that are larger than more slender, you'll see a big difference.

I come from a big Italian family, and I'm one of the smallest people in my family now that I've lost weight.  But everything surrounds food- weddings, travel, anniversaries, graduations, birthdays, funerals, it's always the food that comes first.  It's no shock that everyone in my family is large.  But families I've spent holidays with or attended funerals or weddings for where people are slender, the food is much less a part of things.

I think a lot of people WANT to blame genetics, and justify things, where lifestyle changes would make a big difference if they would take a good hard look.  It took me a good 30 years to get there myself, but really, my portions were huge and I ate for the sake of eating.  I had to get real.  Now I'm the thinnest I've been in my life.

I totally agree with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN