Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New here and need motivation

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi All,

I need/want to lose about 10-20 pounds.  I'm 5'11 and have not weighed myself in months.  My guess is that I'm around 155.  I do realize that is within the 'normal' range of what I should weigh, but I feel so frumpy.  My weight is not distributed well, and I have a lot of extra belly hanging around (like a muffin top). None of my work pants fit, and I just feel bad about myself all the time.  I'm a single mom to a 7 year old, so going to the gym is out.  I have an elliptical at home, and just purchased a Jillian Michaels video.  I just can't find the motivation.  Any tips to get started?  Any healthy meal planning ideas?  I can tell you that my major issue is wine.  My short-term goal is to decrease my intake of wine and increase my water intake.  When I have wine, I get munchy...and it's usually late at night.  My long-term goal is to have a normal workout schedule, and to firm up my core.  I've read a lot of your stories, and you are all very inspiring!

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Welcome!

Motivation's a tough one.  It really has to come from within.  What motivates each of us varies, and it changes over time.  I always suggest writing out WHY YOU want to lose the weight and get fit.

Which Jillian video did you get?  Many of us have used her stuff.  I'm a big fan of her videos!

For meal planning, I generally do 1-2 weeks at a time, and I've even written out a few weeks' worth, and rotated between them.

I get a lot of ideas from Clean Eating magazine.  They have some stuff on their website (cleaneatingmag.com) for meal planning, recipes, etc.

It sounds like your plan to start with decreasing the wine and increasing the water will make a big difference!  Think about how much better you'll feel with that change alone.  You may find that you get better quality sleep as well.

You don't need a gym to lose weight!  I've lost most of my weight outside the gym, and even when I DO have gym access, I do more stuff at home or on runs.  I involve my 5 year old in a lot of my workouts, which is great, because now fitness is fun and NORMAL to him.  He LOVES Jillian Michaels videos!

I have a couple of journals you might like.  Take from them what you will.

General weight loss tips

What's been working for me

Clean eating

Good luck with your journey!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

awilson2112
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!  I have read through your posts/journals, and you are very inspiring!  I am working with baby steps for the next few days.  My small achievement today is that I have already consumed 20 oz of water, and plan to have at least that much more. 

I purchased Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism.  I tried a few from the library, and found they were a bit too intense for my level right now.  I read great reviews about this one so decided to start there.  I'm hoping to give it a shot tonight.

Cooking is going to be one of the biggest hurdles for me.  I'm such a lazy meal planner! I'm hoping to make a menu for the week tonight.  I may try a couple 'clean' meals, too.  My main goal for the meal planning is to have a lunch made so I can just grab and go in the mornings.  Otherwise I end up going somewhere for lunch, which is bad for the waistline and the wallet!

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome!

Motivation's a tough one.  It really has to come from within.  What motivates each of us varies, and it changes over time.  I always suggest writing out WHY YOU want to lose the weight and get fit.

Which Jillian video did you get?  Many of us have used her stuff.  I'm a big fan of her videos!

For meal planning, I generally do 1-2 weeks at a time, and I've even written out a few weeks' worth, and rotated between them.

I get a lot of ideas from Clean Eating magazine.  They have some stuff on their website (cleaneatingmag.com) for meal planning, recipes, etc.

It sounds like your plan to start with decreasing the wine and increasing the water will make a big difference!  Think about how much better you'll feel with that change alone.  You may find that you get better quality sleep as well.

You don't need a gym to lose weight!  I've lost most of my weight outside the gym, and even when I DO have gym access, I do more stuff at home or on runs.  I involve my 5 year old in a lot of my workouts, which is great, because now fitness is fun and NORMAL to him.  He LOVES Jillian Michaels videos!

General weight loss tips

Clean eating

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I'm glad you liked my posts!  Thank you!

Great job on the water!  Keep increasing it slowly.  The goal is to get to half an ounce per pound of body weight (so, for example, 75 oz for 150 lb person).  That's not including water consumed during workouts.

I haven't tried that video, but I hope you like it!  30 Day Shred is another good starter.  Some people can't get through it all at first, and that's okay.  Just do your best, and keep pushing forward.  Make that first fitness goal getting through the workout!  Set a goal, too, of working out X number of days a week (some people do well with streaks, like doing something every day for as many days as possible, some do better starting with working out 3 days per week- do what works best for you).

Eating clean doesn't have to be complicated.  You can go through some of the meal plans and see some stuff that speaks to you.  A lot of those are pretty simple.

I love to do leftovers for lunches.  I'm gone a lot (I'm a nursing student), so I need something easy and healthy, and definitely cheap!  I make sandwiches sometimes, too.

Here's an easy clean recipe I LOOOOVE (as does my hubby- he begs for these!).

Break out the crock pot, too!  This chili recipe is easy, makes great leftovers, and is wonderful on a cold winter day!

I like those websites for some recipes.  I also like thegraciouspantry.com.

Quoting awilson2112:

Thank you so much for your reply!  I have read through your posts/journals, and you are very inspiring!  I am working with baby steps for the next few days.  My small achievement today is that I have already consumed 20 oz of water, and plan to have at least that much more. 

I purchased Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism.  I tried a few from the library, and found they were a bit too intense for my level right now.  I read great reviews about this one so decided to start there.  I'm hoping to give it a shot tonight.

Cooking is going to be one of the biggest hurdles for me.  I'm such a lazy meal planner! I'm hoping to make a menu for the week tonight.  I may try a couple 'clean' meals, too.  My main goal for the meal planning is to have a lunch made so I can just grab and go in the mornings.  Otherwise I end up going somewhere for lunch, which is bad for the waistline and the wallet!

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome!

General weight loss tips

Clean eating

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

awilson2112
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Well, I just finished my first Jillian Michaels workout. Holy moly, I'm out of shape! I've had 40+ oz of water today, too. Hoping to get outside and ride my bike tomorrow.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Take a picture of yourself in your bra and underwear, or a bikini. One each from the front, side, and back. I'm a big believer in photos as motivation, as another poster brought up yesterday, because mirrors lie. No one really knows what they look like until they see themselves in a photo.

awilson2112
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Good idea! How often should I take a picture to see the difference?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Take a picture of yourself in your bra and underwear, or a bikini. One each from the front, side, and back. I'm a big believer in photos as motivation, as another poster brought up yesterday, because mirrors lie. No one really knows what they look like until they see themselves in a photo.

awilson2112
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Had a great 6.5 mile bike ride this afternoon! Hoping to keep up the momentum.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN