Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Diets that work

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM
  • 13 Replies
What diet or lifestyle change have you been on that works and doesn't zap your energy? How much did you lose and what is your exercise routine?
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

lower carb-high fat/paleo-primal has been the only diet/lifestyle that helped me to lose weight, keep it off, and have plenty of energy while doing it (and I'm 47 years old).  I reached my goal weight easily, without counting calories or measuring my food and without a regular exercise routine (although I'm sure the weight would have come off faster if I had.)  When I did exercise in a specific routine, it was HIIT.

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't follow any "diet" when I first started losing.  I simply cut back on the things I knew I shouldn't be eating (sweets, high fat/calories) and increased those things I should be eating.  I worked really hard on portion control.  I worked really hard on stopping when I am satisfied.  I worked really hard on learning to say "no" to more food when I didn't need it.

I started exercising right away.  I was in the gym 4-6 days a week for 60-90 minutes.  Alternating between strength days (weights + cardio) and cardio only.

There are 2 parts to this that have made me successful for the long run (I lost 100 pounds in 2 years...have kept off for a full year now):

First: I didn't alter my diet so much that I am eating foods that I hate all the time.  I actually have a diet that I can stick with for life.

Ssecond: I realized that I am a stress eater.  And exercise drastically reduced my need/desire to stress eat.  So instead of eating calories when stressed, I burn calories when stressed.

I had issues with energy when I did start counting calories.  I would obsess about being as low as possible---so I underate.  And had the exhaustion and was downright nasty.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

A two week Atkins induction, followed by a lifestyle, (not a DIET), of Paleo/Primal eating. 

I can't lie, for the first 5 days you feel like you've been run over by a mack truck and you jones for a piece of bread like a crack addict does for a rock, but if you can make it past day 5, you are golden. It does get easier. Day 3 is the worst. You need support. 

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Low fat low calorie balanced diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmaylove013
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I started eating clean, little to no processed foods, cut out junk (I will indulge every now and again. 

Ive lost 20 pounds and 17.5 inches in the last 43 days. (Yes I started right before the holidays so even with all the temptations and treats i still lost all that weight and actually increased my energy. 

gee22
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I can't remember what it's called, but it's the diet where you eat normally for five days and cut your calories dramatically (like 500 calories for the day) for two days, whether those days be two consecutive or not.  I only did it for two weeks because I got a bad cold which messed me up, but I lost 5 pounds in those two weeks.  :o)  I thought it would be harder than it was, but when I did it, it wasn't that bad.  I ate veggies that were mostly water (cucumbers, watermelon) and tuna, stuff that didn't have a lot of calories and before I knew it, I was satisfied and the day was over!   I plan to start again in another week since I'm better and the kids will be back in school so my routine will go back to normal. :o)

momlovestorun
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Eat real food and workout.
tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM
This..oh and drink water!

Quoting momlovestorun: Eat real food and workout.
plexusgirl73
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I am an ambassador for Plexus. I found Plexus a couple months ago and decided to join at the end of November. I lost 14 lbs and 23.75" in 4 weeks plexus is different because it stabalizes blood sugar and glucose levels which in turn deplete sugar cravings. I absolutely love it. I have energy I stopped taking 3 different needs for fibro and RA. Heck I don't even drunk coffee anymore. I was the biggest yoyo sister out there hcg, body for life, Atkins, Herbalife. You name it I tried it. I'm so thankful to find something that is all natural no chemicals no jittery stimulants and most of all it works
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I count calories.  Found out my bmr here and go with that range. I eat a variety of things- including junk food and have lost 80 lbs so far (wanna go about 5-10 more).

I do a lot of zumba, and also some pilates- piyo- belly dance  *I do need to get more weights in my life this year

it has taken about 21 months to lose that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN