Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What Fitness Trends Annoy You?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 15 Replies

5 Popular Health Trends We Hope Don't Come Back in 2014

by Emily Abbate

Tough MudderIf I had a nickel for every person I knew who is planning on starting a diet come January 1, I'd be totally rich. Not to sound like a Debbie downer because I'm right there with 'em, but it's just so common these days. Whatever happened to the other resolutions? You know, the "I want to floss more often" or "I pledge to not take shots at the bar" kind of things?

Regardless, it's safe to say that healthy resolutions are probably the most common, so if you're going to make one, you better make 'em count. 2013 was the year of many health and fitness fads, most of which many of us wish never existed. In order to guide you appropriately, check out our list of 5 health and fitness fads that shouldn't continue to 2014:

1. All extreme races: You know what I'm talking about, don't you? The Tough Mudder, the Spartan Race, the Viking Run (or whatever they call it these days). I get it, you're super tough. But tell me how participating in an activity where racers are given an electric shock is a GOOD idea? Looking for a real adrenaline rush? Attempt tackling the crowds of tourists on Fifth Avenue during the Christmas season.

2. Going gluten-free just because: There's no doubting you know someone who has jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon. The second a few celebs swore that going gluten-free has helped them lose weight, the next second everyone and their best friend's aunt's ex-husband are trying out the latest craze. Please, if you don't need to exile gluten from your diet, don't. It makes finding restaurant reservations super hard.

3. Pole dancing: I can't be the only person who thinks that the videos posted to my newsfeed of a friend of mine trying out new pole dancing moves are awkward, right? Sure, it's a fun one-time thing to try with girlfriends, but this pole dancing trend has gotta go.

4. Gas mask training: Yes, gas mask training exists, and man is it creepy. Just last week I saw a man running on the treadmill wearing a massive mask! Last time I checked, we weren't on the verge of an Apocalypse. There's gotta be some other way to "strengthen your lungs" without battening down the hatches circa World War II.

5. Juicing: A juice every once in a while, sure -- go balls crazy. But why on earth has juicing gotten to be this "cool" trend? Why on earth do women and men everywhere subject themselves to five-day cleanses just so they can get Instagram likes? See a nutritionist, talk about eating clean and healthy, then let me know if you'd rather juice instead. I have a hunch that having food as an option will always prevail.

What fitness trends annoy the hell outta you?

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachbodyMom77
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Pills... Fitness doesn't come in a bottle. It comes from hard work and healthy eating. Also, being skinny doesn't make you "fit".
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Shakes pills and gimmicks. Although the gluten free thing I get. Not just gluten free though but I'm leaning more paleo so I'm eliminating gluten on top of other processed garbage
Reina13
by Reina on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Juicing. Bleh. I get wanting a smoothie, but juicing all the time is completely different and it cannot be good for you.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM
6 moms liked this

What annoys me?  Close-minded people like the writer that make fun of someone else's choices of activity/diet for weight loss.

I may not agree with someone's choice to use pills or shakes, go vegan, or run for hours each day, but that's not MY business.  MY business is finding what will work for me.  Yes, I'm grain-free.  Yes, I eat red meat.  Yes, I eat low-carb.  ALL of it is for my health, and ALL of it has been beneficial for me.

....and I'd LOVE to participate in a Spartan or Tough Mudder race! 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM

the juicing/ shakes fanatics

OH and the wraps too

*what is with the gas mask thing? WEIRD

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I do gluten free just because... And because my coach recommended it. It works for me.

I want an elevation mask for running... Not a gas mask. It helps train your breathing... It's been proven some of the best runners come from high altitude areas... Hence the masks help mimic it. 

Adventure races etc are awesome motivations for some to train for... Not crazy or annoying.

Pole dancing is hard as hell... I wouldn't do it personally but hey I do acroyoga and it might seem crazy to some.

I don't understand the desire to juice.. But I have had a friend go from 400 to 240 lbs by juicing and running. I don't knock his process... It works for him.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I will echo the shakes and wraps. Oh, those stupid wraps. "You aren't losing weight, you're losing inches with them". *Facepalm*

Fairierose81
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I agree with Michiganmom on this article, to me, reflects more on the author than the if the trends are bad.  I do pole dancing and have for going on 3 months now.  It and anti-gravity silks are the only excercises I've not gotten bored with so why should I need to find something else because she won't edit her settings on her newsfeed/for that friend?  It has already made a big difference in my strength.

wahmx3
by Shelley on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Pills, potions and lotions which include wraps.....really the only thing that works long term is eating healthier, watching portion sizes and exercising (if that includes pole dancing, then go for it, I don't see anything wrong with it).

heavensent423
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I am an extreme runner love it I have limited my gluten because found out that has what has messed with my liver . I find low carb to be harmful but hey if you go by the blood type diet type o is not suppose to have carbs. The point is to find what works for you and run with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN