Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What helped you? *UPDATE 1/13/14*

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 17 Replies
Few questions while I'm waiting for our towns New Years Celebration to begin in a few hours.

1.) Does anyone have PCOS? I was diagnosed with it 9 months ago but ended up moving out of state before I could even wrap my head around it. I seen one doctor up here one time who didn't even do anything (exam or ultrasound) and told me I didn't have it. How do you lose weight? Its hard and near impossible (which leads me to 2 that kinda goes in hand with this)

2.) Did you ever just eat and eat and eat? Constantly HAVE to have something sweet or you just get headaches and kinda black out ?(you see black in front of your eyes for a few seconds before it clears) I've been tested numerous of times for diabetes but they say my levels are perfect. I eat until I feel sick. Hate myself for eating all of it. Get depressed and eat more. Its a cycle I cannot seem to break out of and I want to. I'm tired of clothes getting tighter and tighter. I'm tired of feeling like crap. I'm tired of not being able to run and play with my 16 month old daughter because I'm so out of shape. I walk a lot. I walk roughly 5-8 miles every night at work depending on work load. But nothing it coming off. How did you get yourself to stop the vicious cycle of constantly eating? I am an emotional eater which helps none.

I'm 5'6 and 255. I need to change this if I expect to be around much longer for my daughter.

Thank you in advance. (: Happy New Years!!

**UPDATE**
so I had my doctors appointment today (1/13/14) and it was a real let down. He said he's "experienced" with PCOS and said that I don't have it. I asked him why he said that and his response was "you have a child that you carried to term with no problems, you have a period every month even though its heavy, you do not have male pattern body hair and you do not have severe acne" so I challenged him and asked what about the cysts on my ovaries, what about the acne all over my body, what about my HEAVY periods, what about my inability to lose weight, what about my depression.... his response? "You have to have EVERY symptom to have PCOS" So he sent me for blood work to check my thyroid levels and is putting me on birth control to 'regulate my hormones and make my symptoms less noticeable.' it was a waste of a $40 copay.
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

It sounds like there's a lot more going on than PCOS. The over eating could be a medical issue, but the more likely cause is emotional/mental. I'm not saying that it's all in your head or that if you just want it badly enough, you'll stop eating so much. Trust me, I've been there. Maybe seeing a therapist in conjuction with getting in to see a new doctor about PCOS (or finding out what the real medical issue is if it isn't PCOS).

Ptitchou
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Your sugar craving could be a vitamin deficiency. Do you take a multi vitamin? Maybe seeing a nutritionist would help design a nutrient rich diet to ensure deficiencies are taken care of?
dixiemommy2012
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I never thought of seeing a therapist /: they make me feel uneasy. His would I even go about getting/finding a nutritionist. Would a doctor recommend me one?

Quoting rockinmomto2:

It sounds like there's a lot more going on than PCOS. The over eating could be a medical issue, but the more likely cause is emotional/mental. I'm not saying that it's all in your head or that if you just want it badly enough, you'll stop eating so much. Trust me, I've been there. Maybe seeing a therapist in conjuction with getting in to see a new doctor about PCOS (or finding out what the real medical issue is if it isn't PCOS).

dixiemommy2012
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I would like to say I do... but I don't. The only vitamin deficiency that I have/had is/was a vitamin D deficiency But it was only like a point or 2 lower than the range.

Quoting Ptitchou: Your sugar craving could be a vitamin deficiency. Do you take a multi vitamin? Maybe seeing a nutritionist would help design a nutrient rich diet to ensure deficiencies are taken care of?
rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM

A therapist can help you work through the mental side of the issues you face. There's nothing to feel uneasy about. Your doctor could recommend a nutritionist if you asked, but my best advice would be to find one on your own. That way you can screen their credentials yourself and get references from their other clients.

Quoting dixiemommy2012: I never thought of seeing a therapist /: they make me feel uneasy. His would I even go about getting/finding a nutritionist. Would a doctor recommend me one?

Quoting rockinmomto2:

dixiemommy2012
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
OK... thank you (:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

A therapist can help you work through the mental side of the issues you face. There's nothing to feel uneasy about. Your doctor could recommend a nutritionist if you asked, but my best advice would be to find one on your own. That way you can screen their credentials yourself and get references from their other clients.

Quoting dixiemommy2012: I never thought of seeing a therapist /: they make me feel uneasy. His would I even go about getting/finding a nutritionist. Would a doctor recommend me one?

Quoting rockinmomto2:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome and good luck...these ladies have some great advice:)

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a huge mental aspect to weight loss, so like another poster suggested maybe see a therapist.  It isn't a bad thing to do but you dependency on food and your emotional eating cab be brought on by stress and even your frustration at PCOS and the complications attached to it.  You can see a therapist to talk about it and even ask for a recommendation for a nutritionist. 

Support is really important when it comes to losing weight.  Whether it be from friends and family, professionals or even on-line.  It helps a lot. 

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
All of the ladies before me have addressed the possible mental side to your over eating. I am a recovering stress binge eater..so I get it. It is a very hard struggle to over come..and I would imagine speaking to a professional would help a lot.
as for the PCOS..I have it as well as endometriosis. Yes it makes the weight loss more difficult..but NOT impossible. You just have to take care of yourself, eat right (lots of prprotein,veggies, fruit and and health dairy..and stay away from too much sugar and the bad grains. Lots and lots of water) being active is a key component to treat your illness. The weight loss is possible..you just have to keep at it. I'm down 70+ lbs. If I can lose weight...anyone can. I'm the worst 'dieter' ever.
(((HUGS)))
The best thing you can do is research, research, research...it is the key to good health..well that and putting the information into practice! Good luck!
srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree that if you feel like it's an emotional issue or any other stress issue or issue in general for the over eating the. Seek professional hell for sure.
I have PCOS. I was diagnosed 13 years ago . Yeah. I know.
It's hard to deal with, bc your hormones are up and down, sugar levels fluctuate, and nothing is truly constant when you have PCOS. I was tested for diabetes and they told me the same thing, not diabetic. But the problem with PCOS is that the pancreas doesn't actually process sugar the way it truly should. So, Even though a fasting glucose test comes out normal doesn't mean your levels don't drop. They do. It's part of PCOS. So, the binge eating could be do to an imbalance of some kind, if it's not an emotional or other type of issue. Namely sweets and breads is what I constantly wanted. Now, for weight loss with it. It's soooo hard. It truly is. But let me tell you where I started and learned most of my healthy eating habits from. South beach diet. Yup. It's great for people bc it only takes smaway carbs for 14 days and that is to get it "out of your system". Then you introduce them back in. It's a great program for people who have PCOS. Also, find another dr. Not all drs believe that PCOS is an actual disease. So, please find another and talk to them about going on metformin or another type of drug like that. Start with a small dose. Metformin is a diabetic medication, but it's also used for women who have PCOS bc like I mentioned, the sugar levels fluctuate with women with PCOS.
Wow. I hope this helps. Sorry it's so long winded!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN