Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge Day 2: Get Moving

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM
  • 88 Replies

Welcome to Day 2 of the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge!

The more you move each day, the more calories you'll burn!

Get up and go for a walk (or run if you're up for it)!   Take a break each day - whether it's at lunch time, early in the morning or in the evening and find a little time to walk. 

On average 20 minutes of walking equals one mile. See if you can work up to walking an hour a day - even if you split it up into 3 - 20 minute walks.

If the weather's bad, you may want to go for a walk in your local mall (just resisit the urge to stop every few feet to shop!:) There are also plenty of walking/marching in place videos online you can watch as well.

Tip: When you go out for a walk (or run), in addition to burning calories, the cardio is also helping to keep your heart healthy!

Do you walk or run regularly?  
Will you walk today? 
Do you think you can start walking everyday - or almost everyday?
What other activities do you do during the day?

happy new yearOne member who signs up for our New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign Up for the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card and Bonus Prizes Too!

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSarah1104
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM
I've been trying to go to the gym 5 days a week and I usually start and end on the treadmill
proudmomof2653
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I just came from the gym doing 3 sets of 20 on the hip abductors,abdominal and the hip abductors machines this month is all about strength training in the gym

luvmychicks
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Today there will be no walking outdoors due to weather, but, as soon as toddlers are down for nap I plan on doing a video. I may make older kids join in to get them moving as well. I find it difficult to do any exercising with older kids home but I need to get it done!

_abeauty92
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
No walking outdoors for me /:
It's very cold and I would have to bring my 14month old DD & that's a no no .

However , I do 1hr cardio 6x a week
In addition to this challenge I can compromise to add an extra 20min of brisk walking on the treadmill or indoor track (:
letstalk747
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

walking today

mlmmom509
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Due to disability I am unable to walk long distances, but I just finished up breakfast and am getting ready to do the physical therapy I am allowed to do. It's not much but at least I'm moving right? :) 

MamaCat1121
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM

lunch time walk here we go! Then the boys are doing one with me tonight

shadowspirit07
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I walk a lot. We live in a downstairs/basement apartment so in order to do anything we usually have to go upstairs. I try to walk a lot for exercise, and at this time of year I also shovel snow which is good exercise as well. I want to add yoga to my exercise routine, I have a yoga mat and DVD but I have been lacking motivation.

Angel Baby Dec 2013, Fur babies: Onyx (cat), Tigger (cat), Clara (dog)

Love is Friendship caught on Fire

wedding tickers

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I do run every week.  I'm training for a half marathon in Feb!

SevenFromHeaven
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I walk a lot as I'm constantly training for charity events, plus I have a dog that requires walking, and my kids walk to and from school each day!

~~~~~~~~~~
Sarah-Jean
Wife since 2000
Mad Mum of 5 boys and 2 girls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)