Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge Day 4: Accountability is the Key!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM
  • 68 Replies

Welcome to Day 4 of the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge!

Accountability is a large part of successful weight loss. Doing one or both of these things will help to keep you on track in your journey to a  healthier you!

1.) Each day, log what you ate and how you exercised!

Tracking your food intake and excercise each day and will help you stay focused and motivated as you work each day to reach your weight loss and fitness goals.(You can use a journal or an online site to do this)

Research supports that people who track their food intake stay on their diets/plan longer and lose more weight than those who do not.

• It gives you an opportunity to look back at your week’s progress at a glance.
  • You can check to see if you ate the recommended servings from each of the food groups.
  • You can check to see if you exercised each day.
  • When your weight loss motivation falters you can see what went wrong. That gives you time to fix the problem before it gets out of hand.
  • If you reach a plateau in your weight loss journey, you can look back on a particularly good week and reproduce it!

2.)  Find a weight loss, workout or accountability partner.

Having support is critical to any weight loss journey. You need someone who will listen and understand you. Finding someone who has similiar weight loss goals can help with motivation and accountability.

• PLAN: Once you have your buddy, set goals and schedule accountability sessions. Motivate each other and provide support.
  • FOLLOW THROUGH: Make sure you are following through with your buddy. Try to 'meet' with your weight loss buddy a minimum of one time per week. Update each other on where you are currently at, keeping each other accountable for any setbacks that may have taken place. Be sure to be open and honest about any challenges you have recently faced. Above all remember to honor the setbacks as well as celebrate any successes you experience along the way.
  • SUPPORT: It's important to support each other no matter what you are dealing with as your weight-loss buddy can be your sounding board if things get tough. Verbally expressing what you are experiencing is a healthy way to de-stress, instead of resorting to behaviors that may possibly hinder your efforts to lose weight.
  • BEHAVIOR CHANGES: Having a weight-loss goal can be a challenge. With the help of a weight-loss buddy, motivation is at the ready for when you are struggling to meet your goal. Like an athlete having a coach, utilizing a weight-loss buddy can take your journey to a whole new level of performance. By being kept accountable, a weight-loss buddy can aid you in forming sustainable behavior change, which can benefit you long after you reach your goal.

Do you log what you eat and when/how much you exercise?
If not, will you try to start doing it everyday?

Do you have a weight loss buddy/accountability partner?
If not, what type of support system do you have?
Who, if anyone other than yourself, are you accountable to in your weight loss journey?

Click here to find a Weight Loss Buddy:
Looking For a Weight Loss Buddy - 2014

Click here to visit our Weight Loss Journal forum:
Weight Loss Journals

Here's a post to help you get started:
How to Start a Weight Loss Journal

happy new yearOne member who signs up for our New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign Up for the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card and Bonus Prizes Too!

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM
No i do not log how much i eat and exercise.
lunyuny
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
My mom and son Re working together on healthier choices. As far as working out I am on my own. I am finding it hard to get started. One more day saying is what has me where I am. I need to get going
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I have tried to track it before. It worked, but I ended up not eating very healthy. This time I just want to focus on eating healthier.
othermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I used to keep a food journal and need to start again

Favymom
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I do not log what I eat on but I will start that today:)
northernmommy
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM
I find it difficult to track some home made foods on some online food trackers. Unless I can enter in all the ingredients and serving sizes I have a hard time knowing if what comes up in a search is accurate cause there can be large discrepancies between different entries. My biggest challenge is actually eating enough and now my metabolism is in the tank.
eevers55
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I do logs on myfitnesspal
It really holds me accountable when I have to see/list what I ate.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I log on not so much what I eat, but what kind of food I eat: as monday = chicken....tuesday=beef....wednesday=fish....

I keep track of what vegetable and fruit I eat daily.

I mark during the week, what days and for how long I work out.

My best emotional support is HERE AT CAFEMOM! Thanks!
mamasparatress
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I use MYFITNESS PAL app.  I love using it.  It helps me to keep track of what I am eating. 

I have a couple of friends who I go walking with and also have them as friends on myfitness pal. 

My 8 year old is my biggest cheerleader!! She pushes me!! 

TristanMitchael
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM
I use a app to log what I eat.

Its more useful to have a partner but its really hard to find a reliable one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN