Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge Day 6: How Clean Is Your Diet?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 59 Replies
2 moms liked this

Welcome to Day 6 of the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge

Simply put, clean eating is choosing more of the healthiest and best options from each of the food groups and eliminitating or cutting out the processed and/or not so healthy options.
This means eating fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats and cutting back/removing refined grains, added sugars, and foods processed with chemicals.

Here is a list of healthy food staples you can stock your kitchen/pantry with.

Produce:

• Apples
  • Avocado
  • Bananas
  • Bell peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Clementines
  • Cauliflower
  • Grapefruit
  • Grape/Cherry tomatoes
  • Green beans
  • Leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach)
  • Lettuce
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions
  • Oranges
  • Pears
  • Snow peas
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Sugar snap peas
  • Summer squash
  • Tangerines
  • Tofu
  • Zucchini

Meat/Seafood:

• Fish fillets (cod, halibut, haddock, sole, tilapia, salmon)
  • Ground turkey/chicken (at least 90% lean)
  • Pork tenderloin
  • Scallops
  • Shrimp
  • Skinless chicken

Dry Goods:

• Beans
  • Brown rice
  • Healthy cooking oils (olive, grape seed)
  • Lentils
  • Nut butters
  • Oats
  • Quinoa
  • Seeds (Flax, chia, pumpkin, sunflower)
  • Vinegar (balsamic, red wine)
  • Whole-grain pastas

Refrigerated:

• Cheese (reduced fat)
  • Cottage cheese (low fat)
  • Eggs
  • Hummus
  • Milk (skim for cows milk, soy or unsweetened almond)
  • Ricotta cheese (part skim)
  • Yogurt (nonfat Greek)

Frozen Foods:

• Edamame in the pod
  • Frozen fruits (no sugar added)
  • Frozen fish fillets
  • Frozen vegetables (no added salt or sauces)
  • Turkey/veggie burgers

Breads:

• Whole grain mini pitas
  • Whole grain wraps
  • Whole grain sandwich thins

Here is a sample list of foods/ingredients you may want to cut back on.

• white/wheat rice
  • white/wheat pasta
  • white/wheat bread
  • flour/baked goods
  • sugar substitutes
  • high-fructose corn syrup

You don't have to have everything on the list at once. Choose your favorites and the ones you will use most often. Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with nutrients and available year round.
Make sure you are reading nutritional facts and ingredients when shopping.

How 'clean' is your diet? How often do you eat cleanly?

What healthy/whole foods have you incorporated into your diet?

What are some of your favorite whole foods?

Have you eliminated or cut back on processed foods?

happy new yearOne member who signs up for our New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign Up for the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card and Bonus Prizes Too!

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livndaybyday
by Alicia on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never gotten into the whole clean eating fad. I can see how it is good for you, but I just don't have the time, money, or energy to make things from scratch.
Larsbug
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM

ugh pasta is a staple in this house... it's the one thing I can get my kids to eat

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM
We started eating cleaner last year! We still have a ways to go, but each month we eat a little cleaner. :)
friendlymom48
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I have been eating clean since Jan 2! I would say I eat this way 95% of the time. I feel so much better and I am already seeing a difference.
ripemango
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM

i question the notion that something processed n packaged like tofu could be classified as clean, but that's just my opinion.

I do eat tofu and it's about time for me to make some miso soup just talking about tofu. yumm

I believe in eating healthy food but to be frank I question this list. People in Asia eat white rice daily and are some of the healthiest people on the planet. IMO, it all comes down to portion control and ultimate calorie consumption.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM
I have cut back on processed food a lot. I rarely eat it anymore. I try to stick with meats and fresh veggies.
eevers55
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I never thought of myself as a clean eater, but after reading this list, it's fairly dead on as to what I keep in my pantry/cupboards. The only thing I can't get rid of is pasta. We don't have it very often, but growing up Italian, it's just part of my diet. I don't eat it nearly as often as I used to (nor as often as my grandmother tells me I should lol) but when I do, it's either whole grain or I make it myself.
We don't eat beef or pork in our house and turkey very rarely (as I can't stand the flavor of ground turkey) Most of our meals are either chicken or fish, and I've been incorporating at least one meatless meal a week, which on some weeks has turned into two. We love lentils and I'm snacking on edamame right now for lunch.
I always thought clean eating was well outside my budget, and I suppose sometimes it is (to be able to keep fresh fruit and veg in the house constantly is rather hard, especially in a northern state in the winter) but we seem to do alright.
I can make more of an effort to get my husband on board. He works so much and often picks up meals on the go. He's been at least trying to stick with sandwich shops to get more veggies in, but maybe I can convince him to make his sandwich a salad every other time, or, when he has access to refrigeration, to bring lunch.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I eat many of those! Yes, I have eliminated processed foods. I eat many fruits and vegetables. I cook from scratch using real ingredients.

lunyuny
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I am proud of me I have many of the items above :) I am learning and experimenting with different ways of preparing. It has been fun and tasty
MamaSarah1104
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I'm really trying to make these the main staples, but I'm doing it slowly because I think we will stick to it better
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)