Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I am so lost....

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM
  • 34 Replies
2 moms liked this

So..I have always been over weight, and I have always wanted to lose some weight but I just haven't had the motivation to do it. Well My family and I went to the mall a couple of days ago and I weighed myself in the bathroom. I almost cried...I weighed 229.2 lbs. I have never weighed this much! except when I was pregnant, this was the motivation I needed i'm just lost and don't know what to do...what kind of workout program should I choose? What kind of diet should I go on? Should I go to the walking track down the road with my ipod or should I definately NOT do that because everyone will just laugh at my fat self walking? I know I can't go to a gym because I have 4 children, 3 of them are with me 24/7. I am embarassed to work out when my husband is home, so should I just not do it on his off days? or suck it up and deal with it? I have very low self esteem, and I am a very shy person. I'm hoping that once I start dropping some pounds I will feel better about myself. Any ideas or tips from y'all would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry this is so long. I just don't have anybody to really talk to about this...THANKS :)

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM
4 moms liked this
You have to start somewhere. Every journey has a starting point. You sound like you've had your "light bulb" moment and are ready to begin. Get up and get moving. Take that walk. No one is going to comment on you, and even if they did you'd never know. Go ahead and work out at home. Your husband married you, there is no reason to be embarrased.

Don't be self defeating. It will get you no where. You have to fight for change, it isn't going to happen on it's own, and you have to stick with it or you'll never see results. Start TODAY. You can do this. Don't let poor self esteem trap you in your current body.
skybluchick
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

this.........i know the feeling all to well of not wanting to work out infront of ppl but girl you do need to start some where weather it be out side walking or at home with your husband there you never know he could be your biggest support system i just started working out yesterday and it felt amazing i did mine while my S/O was busy doing other things and acted like he wasnt even there but i know he seen me hes even trying to give me ideas on where i can start....but you got this and always remind your self not to give up even if you dont see resaults right away or even if you get stuck along the way some times you will hit a wall and you just need to mix it up some times

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: You have to start somewhere. Every journey has a starting point. You sound like you've had your "light bulb" moment and are ready to begin. Get up and get moving. Take that walk. No one is going to comment on you, and even if they did you'd never know. Go ahead and work out at home. Your husband married you, there is no reason to be embarrased.

Don't be self defeating. It will get you no where. You have to fight for change, it isn't going to happen on it's own, and you have to stick with it or you'll never see results. Start TODAY. You can do this. Don't let poor self esteem trap you in your current body.

MsStaceyu
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Do you have a YMCA in your area?  They offer childcare for different age ranges.   I think a lot of them are waiving joining fees this time of year.

AubreeGrace17
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Why don't you try doing some workout DVDs? I like doing the Biggest Loser ones or Jillian Michaels.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to start somewhere.

Don't focus so much on everyone else, but rather on your journey.  Everyone has a starting point, but the key to it is just picking up and going.  Take a walk around the track.  It's a fantastic start!  It's how many start off.  No one will comment on you or how you look - everyone there is there for the same reason.  Go ahead and work out at home.  Don't feel ashamed about it when it comes to your husband.  He married YOU and you know what, one of the sexiest things about someone is their drive to improve themselves and their health.  

Results won't happen on their own. YOU have to make them happen.  Having a defeatist attitude will get you nowhere.  You have to believe in yourself and your journey.  It may not happen overnight, but it WILL happen.  You CAN change your body and the way you feel about yourself!

cntrdmom
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM
I used to be seriously embarrassed for anyone to see me workout. Well recently I have a workout buddy. She comes over and we workout with the 30 day shred. The kids join us. Since I'm not the only one doing the workout it seriously helps.
And speaking from experience, I used to feel ashamed seeing someone larger than me running. I'd think, "there's someone doing something about their weight and I may look smaller, but I'm not in good shape. They can probably outrun me because they get up and do something." Now I do run 3-4 times a week minimum. When I see someone significantly overweight out running or walking I think "good for you!"
muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Join livestrong.com - it's free and its awesome! Start reading labels, get some workout DVDs. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred got me back into shape quick after both kids. Go for a run around your neighborhood, do yoga! Anything you can do at home... If you don't want to talk to people at a gym just bring ear buds.

Ps- your self esteem will skyrocket after the first time you run a me without stopping.
andrea96
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I doubt anyone would laugh at you. A lot of gyms have childcare. I'm a member of the YMCA, and the kid zone has both morning and evening hours during the week. It's free with my membership. I used to be a member of 24 hour fitness; it also had a childcare area but charged a small fee.

I think the joining fee for our Y is currently $10 until the end of January. Another thing I like about the Y is that they have a program to help you get started working out, and it's not a ploy to sell you personal training like a lot of other gyms. At least, that's the case with my local Y. It's a very friendly gym with people of all ages and fitness levels.

If I ever work out at home, I shut myself in a room so that I can work out in private. Mostly because the kids will interrupt me if I don't.

Try different things - walking, work out videos, a gym - and figure out what you like to do. I have discovered I don't really like videos; I much prefer to run outside or work out at the gym. But, the videos are nice to have as a backup.

momof2cuteboys
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

No one is going to make fun of you for making yourself better.  Go for a walk around your neighborhood or that local track.  There a lot of challenges on Pinterest you can start with too.  Don't feel bad if you can only do one set.  It is one more set than you were doing right? 

I also like myfitnesspal.com it is free to join and you can track your excercise and calories.  It is super easy. 

momof2cuteboys
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM

oh and don't get discouraged.  Our bodies like to keep our weight at a constant state.  So losing it can be hard.  There is a period where your body will want to keep that fat even if you are done to 1000 cal... It takes a little bit for your body to get on board with the changes.  What you really want to focus on is inches as opposed to lbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)