Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

change of attitude

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

I was watching "My 600-lb. Life" last night and this thought struck me:  the people that were successful in weight loss were the ones that changed their attitude toward food.  Instead of focusing on food as an enjoyment/comfort to them, they looked at it as sustaining fuel. (does that make sense?)

Have you experienced a change in attitude toward food?  Not necessarily the same attitude, but any change?  Do you think that is helping you to stick to your eating plan?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

My birthday is coming up and I have no desire to have the typical cake and ice cream.  None.  If we have any it'll be for the rest of the family but I'm not going to buy it...someone else will have to if they want.  I just don't want any of it.

blueeyedpixie
by Sarah on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I recently started reading about GMOs and that has completely turned me off processed food. I switched my family to GMO free clean eating and I couldn't be happier:) I also started counting calories and every time I start to reach for something now I ask, do I want to waste my calories on this? that makes me think twice before mindless eating:) it's changed my way of thinking about food so much. and I love it:)
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this

The results in lab tests for GM foods are pretty scary!  GM foods are banned in so many other countries, why not ours???  Simple:  $$$ talks

Quoting blueeyedpixie: I recently started reading about GMOs and that has completely turned me off processed food. I switched my family to GMO free clean eating and I couldn't be happier:) I also started counting calories and every time I start to reach for something now I ask, do I want to waste my calories on this? that makes me think twice before mindless eating:) it's changed my way of thinking about food so much. and I love it:)
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM
No I still think of food as something to enjoy. I only eat things I love to eat and I looooove eating :D
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM
I am similar to both responses - since I've been eating "cleaner", I've noticed my cravings for cake, candy, and sodas have just about disappeared. As I've educated myself on how to prepare and cook healthier meals, my attitude has been more "teach them what they need, not just what they want". Each of my kids has a day where they are responsible for the snacks and meals. We talk about nutritional values (vitamins and nutrients and how they benefit us) as well as recipes. It's something my littlest (9) and my oldest (14) enjoy doing together - which is probably the only thing now that the age gap is more defined. Where it used to be "let's make cupcakes!" It's now "name all the ingredients in this fruit/veggie smoothie!".
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:27 AM

I have changed my attitude...good point!

christina122952
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:16 PM

i do not have a problem with food, i need to motivate to lose the baby weight/

harveysmom713
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Since I started on the plan I am having very few sweet cravings. I'm dragging my family along on this journey to healthier eating.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

While there are some foods that I like to sit down and savor, like a perfectly cooked steak with pink peppercorn butter, or a holiday meal I slaved over for hours, or the rare occasions I can sit for a fabulous lunch with friends, the majority of the time I don't see food as anything other than fuel to sustain my body. I don't focus on it, and when I don't, the less I desire it.

My Mom always used food as a reward. She still does. She has been overweight her entire life, and is a chronic yo-yo dieter. She would do good for the whole day food wise, then "reward" herself with a treat for doing so well. Rewards for good grades, scholastic achievements, and sporting events all were food-centric, and usually fast food. I think this is a very backwards mentality. It's part of a larger societal problem, the "I deserve this because....." attitude. Food is not a prize be won. It's not a reward. It's something you need to survive. It's a basic, primal need, and we'd all be better off just recognizing it as such. 

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM
I love food but my new focus is to remember how food affects my energy and my metabolism.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)