Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What running plan worked for you to increase your 1 mile time.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

Today I took a fitness test at school and I ran just a little over 9 minute mile.  Not too bad but I wanted to hack up a lung!  This is a 16 week class and my goal would be to either do a smooth 9 minutes at the end or even 8 minute mile without feeling like I am going to die (like I did today).  I have seen a lot of suggestions in magazines and such but I am more interested what you found worked for you, and how often.

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I run randomly lol... But intervals and sprints are what you need. If you want to run an 8 minute mile you need to work on getting a 2 minute or under per lap on a track. I am working in getting bringing my 1:47 lap down to a 1:43 and maintaining it for 1.5 miles. I need to run more often and do speed work too. How often do you run? 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Ada has great advice!  I'm a runner as well but a long distance runner:)  Good luck!

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I'm a little old school - I just run. As your body gets used to running, you will increase your endurance, increase your pace, and progress. When I started back to running I took my dog and he dragged me for a little over two miles it took about 40 minutes. Now we can do it in a little under 20 minutes, we run side by side, and we usually have to stop to see what is going on in the canal a couple of times. ;-)
First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Interval sprints! I dropped my two mile PT test time by doing 30:60s and 60:120s. You walk for 60 or 120 seconds, then SPRINT for the 30 or 60 seconds. Your time will drop fairly quickly if you do this twice a week. Try to get as many rounds in as you can, keeping it to around 30 minutes. 

Mom2aPrincess61
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I'm a distance runner. I can do 5-7 miles easy but it's at about a 9:30 pace
srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM

This and:

Well, I listen to music. So, when I'm running/jogging whatever (usually in about a 5-6) I will walk until the chorus comes on and then gun it 6-7. For the whole chorus and towards the end of the song.
that's my plan :-)

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Interval sprints! I dropped my two mile PT test time by doing 30:60s and 60:120s. You walk for 60 or 120 seconds, then SPRINT for the 30 or 60 seconds. Your time will drop fairly quickly if you do this twice a week. Try to get as many rounds in as you can, keeping it to around 30 minutes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)