Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do I calculate this?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I have a heart rate monitor that does a calorie count, but when you input details it only asks your age and gender, not weight. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't weight have something to do with caloric burn?

I used it at work today. I am a stable hand and do 5 hours of toting 38 water buckets (full to the brim), cleaning stalls (I do 8, and the riding ring), lugging a wheel barrow of grain, and 50 lb bags of sawdust. I also walk back and forth about 20 times turning horses out to pasture and bringing horses in. I also sweep a lot, and do some dusting as needed.

According to my hrm I only burned 410 calories in that time, which is crazy. I burn 350 in an hour on the treadmill. Ugh, anyone know how to do the math on this?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM

The HR monitor you have...does it have a chest strap?  Those are the most accurate.  What brand is it?  Yes, it should ask for your weight...it's not accurate if it doesn't take into account your weight.  

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM

That is not accurate for 5 hours worth of hard labor. It's just not..

HRM are ONLY meant for workouts and should be used with a chest strap. If you invest in something like a bodymedia fit, bodybugg or Fitbit you will have an all day long calorie burn.  I have used a bodybugg in the past and liked it. I just got tired of paying for the subscription so I bought a Fitbit Flex. It is worn on the wrist like a bracelet and I have found it to be very accurate for me. Dh just got a Fitbit Force- basically a flex but it will show the calorie burn on it, unlike the flex. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Sportsline, and no chest strap, just a watch.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

The HR monitor you have...does it have a chest strap?  Those are the most accurate.  What brand is it?  Yes, it should ask for your weight...it's not accurate if it doesn't take into account your weight.  

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

What I have is a sportsline watch, DH bought it for me. I know it's not possibly correct, I did way to much for it to only have burned 410 calories. I was like, this is ridiculous. I will check into some of these things.

Quoting mcginnisc:

That is not accurate for 5 hours worth of hard labor. It's just not..

HRM are ONLY meant for workouts and should be used with a chest strap. If you invest in something like a bodymedia fit, bodybugg or Fitbit you will have an all day long calorie burn.  I have used a bodybugg in the past and liked it. I just got tired of paying for the subscription so I bought a Fitbit Flex. It is worn on the wrist like a bracelet and I have found it to be very accurate for me. Dh just got a Fitbit Force- basically a flex but it will show the calorie burn on it, unlike the flex. 

Mi_Chelly
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I have a sportsline watch that I bought, didn't get the one with the chest strap, just the watch. It works only when I am working out, but for just day to day recording, I do fitbit one. I like it better then the wrist ones since I move my arms A LOT and it would count my "hand talking" as steps, so I was averaging over 10K steps when I spent most of my days sitting... 

But for all day measurements, you should look into something else. I would compair my sportline to my fitbit during workout times and they would be pretty much even, as long as I constantly did the manual reads on my heart rate from my pulse. If I didn't do regular reads (every two to four minutes), I would notice several hundred calorie difference. 

Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, I JUSTrealized I wasn't using the HR part. I kind of forgot I was supposed to touch it every few minutes. Which I'm not sure I have time for, I barely have time to catch my breath, let alone touch a HR spot every few minutes. I'm buying a chest strap.

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

I have a sportsline watch that I bought, didn't get the one with the chest strap, just the watch. It works only when I am working out, but for just day to day recording, I do fitbit one. I like it better then the wrist ones since I move my arms A LOT and it would count my "hand talking" as steps, so I was averaging over 10K steps when I spent most of my days sitting... 

But for all day measurements, you should look into something else. I would compair my sportline to my fitbit during workout times and they would be pretty much even, as long as I constantly did the manual reads on my heart rate from my pulse. If I didn't do regular reads (every two to four minutes), I would notice several hundred calorie difference. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Yeah, it's not accurate then.  I'd get one with a chest strap so you know for sure.  Good luck!

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Sportsline, and no chest strap, just a watch.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Mi_Chelly
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Quiet honestly, after realizing my fitbit kept my calorie count just as well, if not slightly better, I quit using the Sprortline watch because I would have to stop my exercise for 5 seconds everytime I did the HR, otherwise it kept erroring on me. Not very helpful. Now, I just tend to use it strickly as a watch when working out so I am not constantly glancing at my phone.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Yeah, I JUSTrealized I wasn't using the HR part. I kind of forgot I was supposed to touch it every few minutes. Which I'm not sure I have time for, I barely have time to catch my breath, let alone touch a HR spot every few minutes. I'm buying a chest strap.

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

A Year to a New Me:
Blog | Fitbit | SparkPeople | Fitocracy | Endomondo | MyFitnessPal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)