Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Getting a personal trainer certification!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm looking into it, but there's SO many different places that offer online certifications. Which ones are the most accredited? Anyone look into this before?

TIA!

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM

ACSM is one of the best. It is who I was going to go through when I had planned on getting certified. The books cost me $200+...the webinar was $200+, in order to take the test it was going to be $275 if I remember correctly...and to join the ACSM it was $100...you have to get recertified every 3 years and you have to take 45 credit hours of classes in those 3 years to be able to retest..it's definitely not a "cheap" career when it comes to certification. I wish I could still go for it..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could use my GI bill for that one. I'm looking at ISSA, which takes my spouse education benefits, but I don't know if that one is widely accepted by gyms.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!! I really appreciate it. I already find myself a coach to many women in my neighborhood and family and I really love everything I watch these amazing people accomplish. I really want to make it a second career :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

ACSM is one of the best. It is who I was going to go through when I had planned on getting certified. The books cost me $200+...the webinar was $200+, in order to take the test it was going to be $275 if I remember correctly...and to join the ACSM it was $100...you have to get recertified every 3 years and you have to take 45 credit hours of classes in those 3 years to be able to retest..it's definitely not a "cheap" career when it comes to certification. I wish I could still go for it..

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could use my GI bill for that one. I'm looking at ISSA, which takes my spouse education benefits, but I don't know if that one is widely accepted by gyms.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!! I really appreciate it. I already find myself a coach to many women in my neighborhood and family and I really love everything I watch these amazing people accomplish. I really want to make it a second career :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

I'm not sure if you can or not as it is not an actual degree..just a certification... I would "assume" that if you went to school and got an actual Exercise Physiology degree the GI Bill would be used as it is only gotten through college. 

I had the same experience where I was constantly being asked for help and advice...I still get asked even though I'm no longer able to pursue my dream. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

aprilsalcro
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Oh no mama. I didn't know you ain't going through it anymore. What happened if you don't mind sharing?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I battled a string of injuries last year that forced me to have an MRI done on my back. It turns out that I have a bone spur in the top of my spine at the base of my neck, bulging disks in my lumbar and a form of arthritis in my lumbar called facet arthropathy. My Ortho and Physical Therapist told me that I will never run without pain again and that I just cannot be a PT since I can't demonstrate form with weights...I am not supposed to use weights on my back/neck...

Quoting aprilsalcro: Oh no mama. I didn't know you ain't going through it anymore. What happened if you don't mind sharing?

Quoting mcginnisc:

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM
The GI Bill is super picky! I'm going through a regular community college to achieve my paralegal certificate while waiting to receive an associate in paralegal studies. Wouldn't pay for one class, even though I go full-time.

Call your local gyms and find out what kind of requirements are needed to be a trainer in their gym. My local gym requires a bachelors in kinesiology as well as various certifications.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Quoting mcginnisc:

I'm not sure if you can or not as it is not an actual degree..just a certification... I would "assume" that if you went to school and got an actual Exercise Physiology degree the GI Bill would be used as it is only gotten through college. 

I had the same experience where I was constantly being asked for help and advice...I still get asked even though I'm no longer able to pursue my dream. 

First_One_8_18
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Thanks for all your advice!! I start my certification program as soon as it gets approve by tuition assistance, which should be early next month!!!! I went with ISSA to start and plan to do the childrens' fitness and exercize therapy next!! :D I'm so excited! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN