Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

To all the Fitbit users

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

I read this this morning and thought I would post it here.

Has anyone here had any skin problems from using their FitBit?

Is Your FitBit Messing with Your Skin?

by Ramona Emerson 

Getty ImagesGetty ImagesWhile wearable exercise trackers have finally gotten chic enough that you might actually want to wear them in public, rashes are just never going to be on-trend, as some FitBit Force users have recently discovered. Some users have reportedly come down with nasty cases of contact dermatitis under their exercise trackers.

The itchy, red skin reaction, which is a form of eczema, can be caused by either irritation or allergic reaction, according to dermatologist Doris Day. "The band isn't very breathable, and anytime you have moisture and friction you can get a rash," says Day. "I see the same thing under wedding rings." To soothe this kind of irritation, Day suggests alternating the bracelet from wrist to wrist.

The other possible culprit? A nickel allergy. "Contact dermatitis can be a result of an allergy to one of hundreds of things, but nickel, which could be present in a metal clasp such as this, is a common allergy," says dermatologist Francesa Fusco. Parts of the FitBit are made with stainless steel, which contains traces of nickel. "If this is the problem, you can't wear it," says Day. "It just won't work for you."

Another good way to avoid rashes? Common sense. "A reaction like that doesn't happen in five seconds. It happens when you persist in wearing the device that you're reacting to," says Day. "There's common sense involved in life."

But FitBit isn't splitting hairs about who bears the rash responsibility. The company is offering full refunds to anyone who has experienced skin irritation caused by the device.

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Nope...I have not had any issues at all wearing mine...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Mi_Chelly
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I have the One, I have it either on my bra or in my pocket. I chose not to get the wrist worn one after a trail use of a friend's I found it recorded every hand movement I did. My friend also never had an issue with wearing her's all the time. Not sure if it is the new ones, but her flex never gave her a problem, and she wore it constantly for a year and a half. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Interesting...thanks for sharing!

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:03 AM

oh, Super. Maybe we should just return ours now. 

My husbands was defective out of the box, and the BS about emailing back and forth is getting really irritating. After the email that they sent some time late last night I was thinking we should tell them we're returning them both. And I know I have metal allergies. :(

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I don't like to wear anything rubbery on my wrists, things like watches have given me rashes in the past. I have the fitbit one i think it is called i clip it on my shirt, bra, pants etc and I like it.

Tatiana7
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I have the FitBit Force.  No skin problems to report.  It doesn't seem to have any metal on it aside from the port that is on it used to charge the device.  I also remove it for showering.  I don't wear it super tight on my wrist, so it can move a bit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)