Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Smoothies

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

I always read about people replacing breakfast and lunch with smoothies and I am wondering how you make them healthy. Just because the smoothies I have grown up with are nothing but fruit so I am clueless on how to make them without them tasting like complete poo. I was doing protein shakes for awhile but my doctor said those were really bad for your body so I stopped doing them and just started eating special K, oatmeal or eggs for breakfast and a veggie sandwich or salad for lunch.

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM
I change up what I make, but generally I do a smoothie for breakfast. I'm not big on eating in the morning, so it's a way for me to "eat" without having to force feed myself, lol. I have a Ninja, so I'll usually throw some frozen blackberries, a banana, a big handful of spinach or kale, and some orange juice in an individual cup and blend. I do a tropical one, too, with pineapple, banana, coconut milk, and spinach or kale.

Sometime I do a lunch one if I'm crunched for time and I throw more veggies in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wheepingchree
by Jessica on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:20 AM
My go-to smoothie is 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons of almond butter, 2 REALLY large handfuls of kale, and a frozen banana. Sometimes will use peanut butter, if I'm wanting something sweeter.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I drink a smoothie daily using my nutribullet. 

Spinach or a Kale mix ( kale, spinach, chard), carrots, sometimes I add broccoli, frozen cherries, frozen raspberries, sometimes frozen peaches, a banana and either cashews/almonds or flaxseed. I also add 10 oz water.

Protein shakes are not very useful for your body unless you are pulling a lot of weight...our bodies only need about 55-65 grams of protein typically. I would ditch the Special K honestly...there really isn't much redeeming about it as it is highly processed. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:50 AM

I love these posts as I get good ideas for smoothies:)  I'm getting into them for breakfast myself.  This morning I made a smoothie with a banana, frozen peaches, frozen berries, frozen mango/pineapple, lowfat vanilla greek yogurt, squash and water.  It's tasty! 

Lzabierek
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:09 AM

I have a smoothie everyday for lunch. It really helps with weight loss. For a single serving I do : 1 orange, half an apple, 5 strawberries, 1 banana & about 2-3 big handfuls of spinach.

amberlynn1218
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I like to make them for breakfast because that tends to be the meal I NEVER have time to eat. I would not do the Special K ones either. They have tons of additives in them.....I used to drink them and never really knew much about them other than that they tore my tummy up sometimes. I have a Nutribullet as well. It comes with a lot of great smoothie recipes with it.

Raindancerx
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Thank you for all of y'alls awesome suggestions ladies! I will definately start trying these out!

srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I do a protein shake after my workout. I make at home. It's protein powder, original unsweetened almond milk and blueberries.

A lot of people I've talked to use Greek yogurt to make a smoothie with any kind of fruit and veggie.

I stick with one protein shake daily after my workouts, I feel like I push pretty hard so, it gives me a little extra calories and some health benefits :-) as I have a hard time getting in all of nutrients.
Raindancerx
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I hate eating breakfast and lunch which is why I was doing the protein shakes. But I used organic milk and the chocolate powder one and ice. They were very filling but, here recently.. Like 3-4 months ago, I found out that milk is actually bad for you even if it is skim and organic so I have been phasing it out of the house. Problem is no one likes almond milk or rice milk or hemp milk here so it has been difficult. I feel like it is an acquired taste which is why it has been so slow.

Quoting srehman: I do a protein shake after my workout. I make at home. It's protein powder, original unsweetened almond milk and blueberries.

A lot of people I've talked to use Greek yogurt to make a smoothie with any kind of fruit and veggie.

I stick with one protein shake daily after my workouts, I feel like I push pretty hard so, it gives me a little extra calories and some health benefits :-) as I have a hard time getting in all of nutrients.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)