Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I'm so lost

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM
  • 16 Replies

I admit, I am completely lacking in knowledge when it comes to exercise.  I understand that cardio gets your heart rate up.  But I don't really know the difference between cardio, areobic, and strengthtraining.  Aside from walking, I have a workout dvd program called Dance Off the Inches Latin Dance Party.  It has 3 discs; Sizzling Salsa, Red Hot Cardio Party, and the third disc has Total Body Tone With a Twist and Slim & Sexy Dancer's Abs.

I'm trying to utilize My Fitness Pal to pay attention to what I eat and how I'm exercising.  Thing is, I don't know how to log these dvds. It doesn't have them listed like they do with various brands of food.  When I type in "dance" for the database it offers me line dancing; dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist; dancing, ballroom, fast; dancing, ballroom, slow; dancing, general; belly dancing.  Would any of those discs count as aerobics (general, high impact, low impact)? 

I just have no clue and feel so lost.

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Welcome to the group!  MFP is only going to give you an estimate of calories burned during exercise.  Most accurate way is to get a heartrate monitor with a chest strap.  Cardio is running, jogging, walking, biking, swimming, aerobics, kickboxing, dancing, etc.  Honestly, I would calculate dancing and aerobics as general aerobics.  You can use high impact if its a hard one.  Strength training is using your body weight or actual weights in your workouts.  Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, etc.  

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Thanks. I'm good with estimates for now. I can't get any sort of extra equipment at this time.

So, the Dancer's Abs and the Toning would be considered strength training since you use "salsa bars" to do the exercises?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  MFP is only going to give you an estimate of calories burned during exercise.  Most accurate way is to get a heartrate monitor with a chest strap.  Cardio is running, jogging, walking, biking, swimming, aerobics, kickboxing, dancing, etc.  Honestly, I would calculate dancing and aerobics as general aerobics.  You can use high impact if its a hard one.  Strength training is using your body weight or actual weights in your workouts.  Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, etc.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I would log that as circuit training.

Quoting ncbirdie: Thanks. I'm good with estimates for now. I can't get any sort of extra equipment at this time.

So, the Dancer's Abs and the Toning would be considered strength training since you use "salsa bars" to do the exercises?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

amberlynn1218
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that a heart rate monitor is the best option. I bought mine off of Ebay at a decent price. But that would give a better estimate of calories burned. Plus, even if you can't get one right now, you're working out so you know you are burning something!! :) 

srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM
You don't have to use weights to strength train. You can use your own body weight, but repeating Darby on this it would be squats, lunges, push ups, chin ups etc. Just try to go lower on your squats and lunges.
But yes, count the dancing as cardio as Darby said. With the weights I would probably count it as a more intense cardio. I wouldn't count it as strength though.
Good luck momma! And welcome! There's great advice on here!
KikiKia
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM

A HRM would give you exact calorie burn.  I do not exercise without mine.  I use LoseIt and I dance using my kids's dance video games.  The category "Dancing, General" is usually accurate in my case when I compare it to my HRM. 

I got my HRM as a weight loss reward.  I got the Polar FT7

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Decent price or not, it is not possible.  DH got laid off in August.  It is not essential, therefore it is not going to get bought.

Quoting amberlynn1218:

I agree that a heart rate monitor is the best option. I bought mine off of Ebay at a decent price. But that would give a better estimate of calories burned. Plus, even if you can't get one right now, you're working out so you know you are burning something!! :) 

Phylis419
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM

you can also do a search for on much one burns with certain dvd's etc and add them in to the site ... :-D

Quoting ncbirdie:

I admit, I am completely lacking in knowledge when it comes to exercise.  I understand that cardio gets your heart rate up.  But I don't really know the difference between cardio, areobic, and strengthtraining.  Aside from walking, I have a workout dvd program called Dance Off the Inches Latin Dance Party.  It has 3 discs; Sizzling Salsa, Red Hot Cardio Party, and the third disc has Total Body Tone With a Twist and Slim & Sexy Dancer's Abs.

I'm trying to utilize My Fitness Pal to pay attention to what I eat and how I'm exercising.  Thing is, I don't know how to log these dvds. It doesn't have them listed like they do with various brands of food.  When I type in "dance" for the database it offers me line dancing; dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist; dancing, ballroom, fast; dancing, ballroom, slow; dancing, general; belly dancing.  Would any of those discs count as aerobics (general, high impact, low impact)? 

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for the idea.  I found this site that says that a 125 lb woman doing vigerous aerobic dance for an hour will burn approximately 509 calories.  I got to thinking that if I only knew the formula I could figure it out for my own stats.  So I did a search for the formula, but found this site that had a calculator.  It offers aerobic dance in casual, moderate, and intense.  I just don't know how I would classify those videos.  I think they're both pretty intense, but I'm also extremely out of shape and need to take multiple breaks during the video to catch my breath.  I think that the Red Hot Cardio Party is supposed to be a little more intse than the Sizzeling Salsa video, though.

Quoting Phylis419:

you can also do a search for on much one burns with certain dvd's etc and add them in to the site ... :-D

Quoting ncbirdie:

Phylis419
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

cool ... don't over do it ... if you need to take a break in between then take the break - that's very important ... go slow and then build up until you're not so out of breath.

Quoting ncbirdie:

Thanks for the idea.  I found this site that says that a 125 lb woman doing vigerous aerobic dance for an hour will burn approximately 509 calories.  I got to thinking that if I only knew the formula I could figure it out for my own stats.  So I did a search for the formula, but found this site that had a calculator.  It offers aerobic dance in casual, moderate, and intense.  I just don't know how I would classify those videos.  I think they're both pretty intense, but I'm also extremely out of shape and need to take multiple breaks during the video to catch my breath.  I think that the Red Hot Cardio Party is supposed to be a little more intse than the Sizzeling Salsa video, though.

Quoting Phylis419:

Quoting ncbirdie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN