Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Edited: Is it crazy to want to lose so much weight?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM
  • 25 Replies

I want to drop 100 pounds by the end of the year and I know that will require complete dedication. In February I will be joining the Y because they have childcare (they are getting it built and that is when it will be open) so that I can work out without worrying about plowing through my child or landing on top of him. I can actually use equipment too which I hear is good.

Anyways, does it sound like an unobtainable goal? I weigh 335 so in my head it seems completely possible just because of how overweight I currently am.

Thank you everyone for your support! I have actually never been very good at setting smaller goals because I tend to get more frustrated if I don't reach them than if I just set a bigger goal and reach it, or get close to it. My plan is to step on the scale once in the beginning to get my weight and then not get back on a scale until this year is up. IMO the scale is more discouraging than anything else because of the bumps you tend to hit but, from what I have been told, you usually don't start having issues with that until you are just trying to lose those last few pounds.

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I don't think it's a crazy goal.  Attainable?  yes.   Realistic?  Maybe.  Weight loss isn't easy and you're talking losing nine pounds a month, average.  It can be done, but you'll deal with things like plateaus, and probably other life issues like illness/injury, holiday parties, stresses, etc. 

I DO think you can do it, just don't lose sight of your goal, and realize that a year is a long time!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Losing 100 lbs is totally do-able, not sure if you can do it in that time frame though.  Go for 20 then another 20 an another... and don't put a time frame on it.  I think that can be dangerous, or can de-rail you if you don't like what the scale is saying at a particular time...and I guarantee-that day will come (when the scale doesn't show you what you want to to see).  I wouldn't want you to give up because you aren't meeting a huge goal fast enough.

You want it to be forever, so take it slowy and have the big goal, but also make a lot of smaller ones and leave time out of it :)

cherokeegoddess
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I understand how you feel. i want to lose about 60 lbs by march. i've exercised, eating right. so far i've lost 9 lbs since the beginning of the year. all i have to say is if you believe it you can achieve it. i've been sick, stressed, death in the family. just don't lose sight of your goal. I stil worked out even though i didn't feel well just not as much as usually do.  i even got  glass jars and marbles to track my goal. one has lbs to lose and the other is lbs lost. good luck and keep the faith. as long as you have support from others friends, family and even strangers. YOU CAN DO IT!! :) 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM

9 pounds in 3 weeks is GREAT!

I love the marbles & jars idea!

Quoting cherokeegoddess:

I understand how you feel. i want to lose about 60 lbs by march. i've exercised, eating right. so far i've lost 9 lbs since the beginning of the year. all i have to say is if you believe it you can achieve it. i've been sick, stressed, death in the family. just don't lose sight of your goal. I stil worked out even though i didn't feel well just not as much as usually do.  i even got  glass jars and marbles to track my goal. one has lbs to lose and the other is lbs lost. good luck and keep the faith. as long as you have support from others friends, family and even strangers. YOU CAN DO IT!! :) 

cherokeegoddess
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I can't remember where i got it from. either pinterest  or a friend posted on facebook. i was like wow i need to do that so that way i know how much i can account for. lol  it's a good thing i love fruits and vegetables i prefer them over meat anyday lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

9 pounds in 3 weeks is GREAT!

I love the marbles & jars idea!

Quoting cherokeegoddess:

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Good luck!

Efebbo07
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this
That goal is very attainable you just have to be committed to making it happen. I am working with a friend right now who has that similar goal and so far she's down 23 pounds in just 2 months. I think this month will be really good for her. I agree that making the smaller goals works better...20 # at a time. This gives you the reassurance you are getting there !! You can do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Not crazy. Just make sure you understand hat there WILL be bumps in the road and as long as you KEEP GOING, you'll hit it. <3

Wheepingchree
by Jessica on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:36 PM
I think realistic. I weighed 305 the day before my daughter was born. 268 before pregnancy. Baby turned 3 months this past Sunday and I weigh 258. Because I can't think in big numbers (seems scary to me), I do small goals. Right now I'm working on getting under 250. My next goal will be to get to 235, which is what I weighed when my husband and I got together 7 years ago. Then once I get to 200, I'll work on a definitive number from there.
You CAN do this. Feed your body good, whole foods and exercise at LEAST 6 days/week. We're all here to support you.
1LovelyAngel
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM

what did you do to lose that soo quickly. That's nice.

Quoting cherokeegoddess:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)