Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Will breastfeeding hinder my weightloss goals?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM
  • 20 Replies
Anyone ever lost a substantial amount of weight while breastfeeding? Did bf make it harder to accomplish?
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I found the BF helped my weight loss along wonderfully.

Wheepingchree
by Jessica on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends. I've been doing well losing and I nurse my daughter. Was 305 the day she was born and weigh 258 three months later. I feel like I've been losing pretty slowly over the last 6 weeks, but I'm losing inches pretty quickly. If you're eating well and exercising several times a week, I imagine your body will change, even while breast feeding.
SouthernBiscuit
by Leslie on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I seem to be the opposite. I have been overeating because I'm so dang hungry all the time! Now I've started a diet and hope I can get rid of all this extra weight pretty effectively. I know I can't cut my calories too low while bfing.

Quoting squeekers:

I found the BF helped my weight loss along wonderfully.

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Many women find themselves losing weight easily because breastfeed by itself burns between 200 and 500 calories daily.  Add in proper diet and exercise.

On the other hand, some women seem to hold onto the weight while they are nursing and as soon as they stop it melts right off.  It just depends on what your body chooses.

Kazmira222
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I didn't manage to breast feed long enough to lose any weight. :( I just seem to keep gaining weight no matter what I do. I blame my birth control.
ncbirdie
by Robyn on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM

You could look into FAM as a form of bc.  I haven't used anything else since my son was born and have only gotten pregnant when I was trying.  If you're interested, you can check out fertilityfriend.com for a crash course, but to really get a handle on it I would get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Quoting Kazmira222: I didn't manage to breast feed long enough to lose any weight. :( I just seem to keep gaining weight no matter what I do. I blame my birth control.

asaffell
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM

You might have to play with your calories a little more but you can do it! I eat around 1800 a day, minimum of 1600, and a few days a week, I probably eat closer to 2100 calories and I've dropped all of my pregnancy weight and working through the stuff I had before I got pregnant (four pounds in the last week!). Just make sure you're drinking enough.

Kazmira222
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Well I have the nexplanon and I like it a lot. But I think that it has changed my body a bit. I just flat out don't wanna be on BC but my mom won't let me not be on it. Even tho I don't have a bf.. I don't even sleep around! :/

Quoting ncbirdie:

You could look into FAM as a form of bc.  I haven't used anything else since my son was born and have only gotten pregnant when I was trying.  If you're interested, you can check out fertilityfriend.com for a crash course, but to really get a handle on it I would get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Quoting Kazmira222: I didn't manage to breast feed long enough to lose any weight. :( I just seem to keep gaining weight no matter what I do. I blame my birth control.

srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM
When I tried I thought I lost weight easier.
mbskii
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Yes, it definitely helped!  A lot of mini meals are good to keep you from getting too hungry while breastfeeding.  It does raise your metabolism for sure which is always a plus. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)