Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge Day 18: 150 Calorie Snack Options

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
  • 50 Replies

Welcome to Day 18 of the New Year,  New You Weight Loss Challenge

Snacks are the fuel your body needs between meals that provide you with energy.
In order to keep your body properly fueled, make sure you are eating several times a day, a few hours apart.

The importance of snacking include:

• Small frequent meals, instead of 3 large meals a day mean your blood sugar remains steady
  • Snacking keeps your metabolism running constantly
  • Snacking prevents you from overeating at mealtime
  • Intense hunger can cause you to make unhealthy food choices at mealtime

Below are healthy snacking options that are 150 calories or less!

• Apple and Peanut Butter: 1 medium apple sliced with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Red Grapes and Almonds: 1 cup Red grapes with 11 almonds
  • Strawberries and Yogurt: Half a cup non-fat Greek yogurt topped with one teaspoon of honey and half a cup of strawberries
  • Granola Bar: 1 Trail Mix granola bar
  • Cucumber and Cheese: 1 small cucumber sliced with three tablespoons of cream cheese
  • Turkey Wrap: 2 ounces of thin sliced turkey, 1 thin slice of provolone wrapped in a large romaine lettuce leaf
  • Pistachios: 48 Pistachios, unsalted
  • Tuna Salad Wrap: Make a reduced fat tuna salad wrapped in a lettuce leaf
  • Peas and Hummus: 1 cup snap peas with 3 tablespoons of hummus
  • Oatmeal and Almonds: 1 packet of plain instant oatmeal, sprinkled with cinnamon and 6 chopped almonds
  • Skewers: 1 cube of watermelon, 1 small cube of feta, 1 slice of cucumber on each of 5 toothpicks
  • Popcorn: 2 1/2 cups
  • Fruit Smoothie: 1 peeled seedless orange with 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup low fat milk, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract; blend
  • Sweet Bruschetta: 2 toasted whole grain baguette slices with 2 tablespoons part skim ricotta and top with mixture of 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
  • Loaded Peppers: 1 cup red bell pepper slices topped with 1/2 cup warmed spicy black beans and 1 tablespoon of guacamole
  • Edamame: 1 cup unshelled edamame
  • Chocolate Banana: 1 small banana paired with a 1 half ounce square of dark chocolate
  • Stuffed Tomatoes: 8 halved grape tomatoes stuffed with 1/4 cup part skim ricotta, 1 tablespoon of diced black olive and a pinch of black pepper with 2 whole grain crackers.

Do you snack? What do you snack on?

Does snacking help you to stay on track and within your caloric needs?

Share your healthy snack options with us!

happy new yearOne member who signs up for our New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign Up for the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card and Bonus Prizes Too!

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friendlymom48
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM
I usually have an apple mid morning and either a yogurt or string cheese in the afternoon. Those are the regular snacks that I have. I also enjoy dipping veggies in hummus and eating other fruits.
quietmomma
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

These are some good ideas.  I just started WW and find myself starving between meals and not satisfied at all....which most likely means I am going to cheat and binge on something unhealthy.

lunyuny
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My snacks have been a small apple celery sticks and almonds. Thanks for the ideas above I will be using some
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM

fruit smoothie, handful of nuts, peanut butter on celery, cucumber, carrots sticks, red pepper.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM

You should plan on snacks. Healthy ones. That's always been part of WW. Why aren't you having snacks?

Quoting quietmomma:

These are some good ideas.  I just started WW and find myself starving between meals and not satisfied at all....which most likely means I am going to cheat and binge on something unhealthy.

quietmomma
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM

2 reasons:  I don't know what to eat for a snack that will be satisfying, and I feel like I can't "afford" the points for snacks!

Quoting SweetLuci:

You should plan on snacks. Healthy ones. That's always been part of WW. Why aren't you having snacks?

Quoting quietmomma:

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I try to keep fruits and vegetables on hand for snacks and the other thing I keep handy is boiled eggs.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

You need to plan snacks, go through the list, find something that you have on hand, like fruit or veggies, and eat it, otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail. Take points away from meals and add it to snacks. Eat something that you have planned for your next meal, then don't eat more of it when the mealtime comes. What do you have planned for lunch?

Quoting quietmomma:

2 reasons:  I don't know what to eat for a snack that will be satisfying, and I feel like I can't "afford" the points for snacks!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting quietmomma:

quietmomma
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I don't know--I bought some lowfat cottage cheese yesterday hoping to eat that for snacks or meals.  I also have some soup that I could eat. Maybe hardboiled egg?

Quoting SweetLuci:

You need to plan snacks, go through the list, find something that you have on hand, like fruit or veggies, and eat it, otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail. Take points away from meals and add it to snacks. Eat something that you have planned for your next meal, then don't eat more of it when the mealtime comes. What do you have planned for lunch?

Quoting quietmomma:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting quietmomma:

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Any of those would be good. It will get easier if you plan what you're going to have ahead of time. Just write it down. Then you can see how many points you'll use, and you won't have to think about it. Good luck. Ask your WW leader for help. They are great with ideas.

Quoting quietmomma:

I don't know--I bought some lowfat cottage cheese yesterday hoping to eat that for snacks or meals.  I also have some soup that I could eat. Maybe hardboiled egg?

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting quietmomma:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting quietmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)