New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge Day 18: 150 Calorie Snack Options
Welcome to Day 18 of the New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge
Snacks are the fuel your body needs between meals that provide you with energy.
In order to keep your body properly fueled, make sure you are eating several times a day, a few hours apart.
The importance of snacking include:
- Small frequent meals, instead of 3 large meals a day mean your blood sugar remains steady
- Snacking keeps your metabolism running constantly
- Snacking prevents you from overeating at mealtime
- Intense hunger can cause you to make unhealthy food choices at mealtime
Below are healthy snacking options that are 150 calories or less!
- Apple and Peanut Butter: 1 medium apple sliced with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Red Grapes and Almonds: 1 cup Red grapes with 11 almonds
- Strawberries and Yogurt: Half a cup non-fat Greek yogurt topped with one teaspoon of honey and half a cup of strawberries
- Granola Bar: 1 Trail Mix granola bar
- Cucumber and Cheese: 1 small cucumber sliced with three tablespoons of cream cheese
- Turkey Wrap: 2 ounces of thin sliced turkey, 1 thin slice of provolone wrapped in a large romaine lettuce leaf
- Pistachios: 48 Pistachios, unsalted
- Tuna Salad Wrap: Make a reduced fat tuna salad wrapped in a lettuce leaf
- Peas and Hummus: 1 cup snap peas with 3 tablespoons of hummus
- Oatmeal and Almonds: 1 packet of plain instant oatmeal, sprinkled with cinnamon and 6 chopped almonds
- Skewers: 1 cube of watermelon, 1 small cube of feta, 1 slice of cucumber on each of 5 toothpicks
- Popcorn: 2 1/2 cups
- Fruit Smoothie: 1 peeled seedless orange with 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup low fat milk, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract; blend
- Sweet Bruschetta: 2 toasted whole grain baguette slices with 2 tablespoons part skim ricotta and top with mixture of 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
- Loaded Peppers: 1 cup red bell pepper slices topped with 1/2 cup warmed spicy black beans and 1 tablespoon of guacamole
- Edamame: 1 cup unshelled edamame
- Chocolate Banana: 1 small banana paired with a 1 half ounce square of dark chocolate
- Stuffed Tomatoes: 8 halved grape tomatoes stuffed with 1/4 cup part skim ricotta, 1 tablespoon of diced black olive and a pinch of black pepper with 2 whole grain crackers.
Do you snack? What do you snack on?
Does snacking help you to stay on track and within your caloric needs?
Share your healthy snack options with us!