Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What method works for you?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM
  • 48 Replies

Do you count calories?  Count carbs?  Only eat certain foods?  Count points?  Do you journal your food?  What method for weight loss/maintenence works for you?

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:31 AM
3 moms liked this

I tried counting calories, but I'm too busy to keep it up for long.  I did try Weight Watchers points...same problem.

What has worked for me for 3 years is to eliminate grains/grain foods and sugars, and watch my carb intake (I don't count them anymore.)  This works for me because the high carb foods also tend to be high calorie foods.  I stick with LOTS of veggies, lean meats (or sometimes not), low-glycemic fruits as a treat, and nuts & seeds.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM

What kind of nuts do you like?  I'm currently into almonds.  My son is highly allergic to peanuts so I don't eat them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I tried counting calories, but I'm too busy to keep it up for long.  I did try Weight Watchers points...same problem.

What has worked for me for 3 years is to eliminate grains/grain foods and sugars, and watch my carb intake (I don't count them anymore.)  This works for me because the high carb foods also tend to be high calorie foods.  I stick with LOTS of veggies, lean meats (or sometimes not), low-glycemic fruits as a treat, and nuts & seeds.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I like almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, Brazil nuts.

Peanuts are a legume, not a true nut, and they are susceptible to carry aflatoxins.  I don't eat them.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

What kind of nuts do you like?  I'm currently into almonds.  My son is highly allergic to peanuts so I don't eat them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

cc5112
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM

I don't count calories or carbs. I am awful at it. Instead I follow the P90X diet plan in phase 1 or 2. It basically guides you to eat a cup of carbs in a meal ( breakfast , lunch or dinner). In phase 1 it's only 1 serving/cup for the day for 30 days thenin phase 2 it's 1 cup of carbs in each meal. If you take a look, it's pretty much the recommended serving for many carbs ( not all). Carbs that are recommended are the typical complex ones like brown rice,steel cut oats, multigrain, etc. The serving size for vegetables is usually 2 cups. It's easier for us to follow a plan this way. 

How about you , Darby? What works for you?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't count calories or carbs.  I focus on eating veggies, protein, and fruits.  I do eat almonds, nut butter, and some dairy such as greek yogurt.  I eat very little processed food and pretty much zero glutten.  This is all new to me as I've just changed my diet drastically over the past week or so.  I'm MUCH less bloated and have WAY more energy.  I also don't get on the scale.  I have a tendency to get mega obsessed so the further I stay from numbers the better I do:)

Quoting cc5112:

I don't count calories or carbs. I am awful at it. Instead I follow the P90X diet plan in phase 1 or 2. It basically guides you to eat a cup of carbs in a meal ( breakfast , lunch or dinner). In phase 1 it's only 1 serving/cup for the day for 30 days thenin phase 2 it's 1 cup of carbs in each meal. If you take a look, it's pretty much the recommended serving for many carbs ( not all). Carbs that are recommended are the typical complex ones like brown rice,steel cut oats, multigrain, etc. The serving size for vegetables is usually 2 cups. It's easier for us to follow a plan this way. 

How about you , Darby? What works for you?

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Calories. I try to eat decent mostly, but I still eat cake, ice cream or whatever as long as it fits in my day.

that way I don't feel deprived, and I've lost 83lbs now doing it

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Weight watchers, meetings. I count points but at the same time try to eat healthier than some of the foods they recommend like I refuse to eat fat free cheese or their chemically loaded low points junk. Except for their ice creams once in a while I'm not gonna lie they are delish... I eat carbs but try not to eat more than one piece of bread a day and don't eat that much rice etc anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bc19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:07 AM

After trying WW, and a few other diets I can pretty much tell you how much calories are in what lol. So I just keep an inner tab on whether I was over or under for the week/day. I try to eat a lot of protein, if I add some kind of protien to each meal it helps me to get full faster. And I try to stay away from breads, pastas, and high sugar foods that aren't fruits.

blueeyedpixie
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM
I count calories on fitness pal. I calculated how many protiens, carbs and fat I should have but I don't keep it super strict. as long as I'm under my calories and pretty close to the others I'm happy... I eat clean so most days I don't eat all my calories because it's so much food lol
mjmorrison
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

You may laugh, but my dh bought smaller diameter plates. It looks lie a full meal when you are eating, but the portions are smaller.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)