Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think it's more expensive to eat healthy?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 168 Replies
Is your grocery bill more expensive when you buy fresh produce and healthier 'green' or organic products?
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM
6 moms liked this

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

shajdinyak
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Wow! We spend $150 a week:(

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthernBiscuit
by Leslie on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Wow! $150 a month?? I would love to know how you manage that. We spend on average $120 a week. We are a family of 4. Kroger is where we normally shop.

Quoting michiganmom116:

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I, too, would love to know your secret michiganmom.

cocoroo
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I but a lot of fruits and veggis, just not organic.  I buy most of my produce at Trader Joes.  For a family of 5, I think I spend about $175/week.  That includes my children's lunches for school.  I'm not really sure though, because I don't shop on a weekly basis.

Blue369
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow my budget is $250 a week for a family of 5 and I have a hard time some weeks. I do have twins in diapers and I buy all most all organic. That also includes paper products and all household items. I think it also depends on where you live. I live in New York. I also do meal planning and we are almost completely clean eating, I do buy greek yogurt for kids (chobani and stoneyfield) that is not plain.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Not at all. I spend only a little but more a month than before and that's mostly because my kids are older and eat more, now, lol. I used to spend $150/2 weeks...now it's more like $200/2 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I have found that eating healthier is cheaper (like Rhonda).  I spend about $60 a week and I have a family of four and three large dogs.

calebsmommy05
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope. It has been less or about the same. I do buy some "crap stuff"(all purpose flour, sugar, baking supplies). Otherwise, it is lean meats, dairy and tons of produce. I meal plan a lot.
asaffell
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Negative - it's so much cheaper than eating out and buying junk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)