Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do you think it's more expensive to eat healthy?

Is your grocery bill more expensive when you buy fresh produce and healthier 'green' or organic products?
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
lovemymini
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM
I spend around $1000 a month feeding a family of 3 because I buy organically.
Retrokitty
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:07 AM
I find it cheaper if you plan it right. Also it helps if you take advantage of farmer markets, local meat dealers, and growing your own garden.
nocalmegan
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:09 AM
We spend about 600$ a month and eat 75% organic
srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM
I am glad to hear that some spend 120-150$ a week! I spent 300 on two weeks but that included diapers and wipes and formula from SAMs! Soooo....we are okay! Lol

I do meal plan. But I am going to be a lot more strict with it. From now on I will make sure I have everything I need and buy what I do need plus and then stick to it. (We've done
Impromptu before which is a little more costly)
supermama322
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM
idk I have nothing to compare it to. we've always shopped and eaten healthy
Kermitthemom23
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Eating organic, gluten and dairy free kicked the grocery bill sky high.
In general we eat very little junk and keep yhe budget of $120/wk for 5 & 2 dogs.
We dont eat much organic or natural meats cause of cost, but other than that we do very well
And yes a dedicatef junk food trip for picnic lunches can cost me 1/2 weeks groceries just for 1 meal!
srehman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:11 AM
I love our farmers market! I can buy about 20-25$ worth of fresh veggies for an entire week! Can't do that at the main stores!

Quoting Retrokitty: I find it cheaper if you plan it right. Also it helps if you take advantage of farmer markets, local meat dealers, and growing your own garden.
SweetPoison
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I have a food budget of about 500 a month for a family of 5.

We can't afford to always buy fresh produce and such because it gets expensive up here. Hell grabes are almost $4 a lb!!

We stock up on meat (the leaner the better), lots of canned veggies and fruits, and when we can afford it the fresh stuff.but for us it's more important to make sure that $500 dollars can go far and in that case sometimes we have to settle for the unhealthy stuff because it's gonna last us longer.

Karen_S
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Some things are more expensive, some are less.  Organic produce is generally more expensive than the non-organic. But a pound of bulk rolled oats is a lot less than than a pound of processed cereal. And food made from scratch is usually both healthier and cheaper than pre-made, highly-processed foods.  It just takes time and planning...buy on sale, make batches to freeze when ingredients are cheap, plan meals carefully so you don't waste any food because you didn't eat it fast enough, etc.

rhiannonaisling
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Yes, in my area it is more expensive to feed a family of 5 a diet with lots of fresh produce and green or organic products than to get the crap. I spend between 400 and 600 a month depending on if I need staples or not. If I got healthier foods I would be spending about 1000 a month. I tried it I ended up blowing our entire months food budget on 2 weeks worth of food and we had to rebudget our pay for the next 2 months to make up the difference.

However, to be fair, this may be in large part due to the numerous food allergies that I and my children have (no one is allergic to the same things) and to the fact that one of my children and I myself have sensory issues so we end up with more expensive produce than we might otherwise have had to get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)