Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do you think it's more expensive to eat healthy?

Is your grocery bill more expensive when you buy fresh produce and healthier 'green' or organic products?
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Replies (161-168):
poeticrose09
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I thought I got some but it turned out to be soynut butter oops which is gross in my opinion. Im going to have to try some though. I have heard that a lot of people like it. 

Quoting cupcake_mom: Have you tried sun butter. We don't have allergies in the family at all but i read about sun butter on here and wanted to try it. My kids love it. I didn't think it was too bad either. Just tasted like sun flowers

Quoting poeticrose09: How do yoy do it. I feel like im drowning in information and lackbof ideas. Everything ibhave tried nut butter wise has tasted awful too

Quoting Jensep:

We are gluten free & dairy free too! We used to be egg free, but my son is ok with egg now! 

Quoting poeticrose09: Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM
If you like reg sunflower seeds, the just salted ones, then you should like it :)

Quoting poeticrose09:

I thought I got some but it turned out to be soynut butter oops which is gross in my opinion. Im going to have to try some though. I have heard that a lot of people like it. 

Quoting cupcake_mom: Have you tried sun butter. We don't have allergies in the family at all but i read about sun butter on here and wanted to try it. My kids love it. I didn't think it was too bad either. Just tasted like sun flowers

Quoting poeticrose09: How do yoy do it. I feel like im drowning in information and lackbof ideas. Everything ibhave tried nut butter wise has tasted awful too

Quoting Jensep:

We are gluten free & dairy free too! We used to be egg free, but my son is ok with egg now! 

Quoting poeticrose09: Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

Teascha
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM

It is for us. I can only budget $30-$40 a week for food for a family of 5. I buy what is on sale only, unfortunately that is usually junk. I can take $1 and buy 3-4 apples, or I can take it and buy a pack of lunch meat (.39), some ramen (.12) and a loaf of bread (.50) and feed my children for a couple lunches. For me it is just survival right now.

poeticrose09
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Good to know I shall try it.

Quoting cupcake_mom: If you like reg sunflower seeds, the just salted ones, then you should like it :)

Quoting poeticrose09:

Quoting Jensep:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Syphon
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Not trying to argue but where do you live?  Most placed I've lived you can find local organic pretty close by.  I currently live in S. FL and have lived in CT, MA, and NJ

Quoting psychessun:

if you live in an area where you can do that, good.  sometimes the cost of driving all over the place to buy local is much more than spending a few more bucks at the store.

Quoting Syphon:

Buy local.  I buy local organic and it's less expensive than reg produce in the grocery store.  Also buy in season.

Quoting psychessun:
  • i don't buy crap food, but when i buy organic instead of regular evil GMO it's twice the price.  Organic potatoes cost $6 for 5lbs, the same size in the poison variety costs $3.  A gallon of organic milk is $7, regular is $4.  we do have some local providers that although they're not "orgainc" they are natural, less processing, blah blah, so it kind of splits the difference to go wtih that.

for example, organic eggs cost over 5 dollars here, but the "natural"  eggs from a local area farm offered in the grocery store are less than 3, and the yolks are really bright, they taste fantastic and they have really hard shells.  seems like whatever they're doing is producing some really good eggs.

kidslovemom
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:41 AM

The other day I paid 13 for a pizza and 12 for a salad with chicken etc on it for me.  The pizza could feed my whole family (4 people x 2 slices each) so I could have fed my family for $13 but instead the meal was $25.  Not concerning grocery shopping but true comparison.  When eating out, I think it's more expensive to eat healthy.

coliemamiof2
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:57 AM
4 people: DH, DS, DD, & myself - which I'm also pregnant.
Sometimes we don't eat everything & it will roll over to the next week & we won't buy it that week (like the nuts, seeds, beans, & coffee, ect will last us 3 weeks or so, but the fruit will most likely be gone, along with veggies).
& yes, I love trader joe's! :)

Quoting lga1965: That is,a ton of food ! How many people in your family ? We had three kids and we could not possibly eat that much every week !

Yikes !

Anyway, Trader Joes is wonderful and not expensive.

Quoting coliemamiof2: I spend about $100 a week on all organic items at trader joe's, this includes:

- fruit: bananas, pears, apples, tomatoes, lemons & limes, berries (usually strawberries) & oranges

- vegetables: kale, spinach, onions, garlic, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms (sometimes carrots & potatoes)

- raw/unsalted seeds & nuts

- dry beans/canned beans

- whole wheat bread

- yogurt & cheese

- other things: kale & spinach dip, guacamole, green juice, blue corn tortilla chips, peanut butter, & coffee.

I will usually get at least 1 item of meat once a week or every other week, like ground turkey, turkey bacon, chicken, or lean beef for DH.

I eat mostly vegan, but DH & the kids eat mostly vegetarian - however, DH still loves his meat, so I do like to treat him sometimes for being healthy..or else he gets cranky & starts the whole, "I should have never agreed to this...& I want meat now."

If you think about it tho, a pound of regular bacon runs from $4-$7...mattering on market, company, ect ect but a bag of fresh spinach or a bag of black beans can run you from $2-$4...how is that not cheaper? Healthier is cheaper, as long as you know how to use it to your advantage & you are shopping at the right places.
xcrystal88
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

No, I think its about the same. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN