Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do you think it's more expensive to eat healthy?

Is your grocery bill more expensive when you buy fresh produce and healthier 'green' or organic products?
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
Kermitthemom23
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM
See, I always wondered about canned being cheeper. Ive found I can get much more fresh for the same $$. If I have extra I can freeze most for later.
And fruit just needs to be bought in season. Right now that means pears and cutie oranges.

Quoting SweetPoison:

I have a food budget of about 500 a month for a family of 5.

We can't afford to always buy fresh produce and such because it gets expensive up here. Hell grabes are almost $4 a lb!!

We stock up on meat (the leaner the better), lots of canned veggies and fruits, and when we can afford it the fresh stuff.but for us it's more important to make sure that $500 dollars can go far and in that case sometimes we have to settle for the unhealthy stuff because it's gonna last us longer.

SweetPoison
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:18 AM

haha we buy cuties like they go outta style!! we loe them..

most of the fresh we buy is like lettuce, green peppers, oranges, apples, cucumbers and stuff..

peaches and pears were ok with in the can

Quoting Kermitthemom23: See, I always wondered about canned being cheeper. Ive found I can get much more fresh for the same $$. If I have extra I can freeze most for later.
And fruit just needs to be bought in season. Right now that means pears and cutie oranges.

Quoting SweetPoison:

We can't afford to always buy fresh produce and such because it gets expensive up here. Hell grabes are almost $4 a lb!!

We stock up on meat (the leaner the better), lots of canned veggies and fruits, and when we can afford it the fresh stuff.but for us it's more important to make sure that $500 dollars can go far and in that case sometimes we have to settle for the unhealthy stuff because it's gonna last us longer.

Retrokitty
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Frozen is also a really good option for a budget. It is cheaper than fresh and (depending) is usually just as healthy as fresh veggies and fruit if you were to freeze them yourself. Canned is still cheaper though depending on sales.

Quoting SweetPoison:

mmtosam06
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Nope not at all

poeticrose09
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

Jensep
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Snacks and stuff are more expensive than fresh produce! I do not really shop the "inside" isles. I buy a lot of organic too, and my grocery bill is pretty low 

Siare
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Eating healthy is more expensive, period. If it's not then you're clearly doing something wrong. It's just designed that way. Pasta, bread, boxed foods, etc are fillers and junk. They're cheaply made and have long shelve lives. Fresh foods are expensive because they cost more to ship in faster, so that you get them before they rot. Granted, you should try to go to farmers markets but being a farmer pays cheaply anyway for the amount of work put into it. They have bills to pay, so yes, prices will still be higher @ farmers markets than for packaged boxed foods in the store.

Groceries is an expense that you shouldn't be stingy with. 

Jensep

We are gluten free & dairy free too! We used to be egg free, but my son is ok with egg now! 

Quoting poeticrose09: Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

Mandallyn
Agreed. It cost a LOT more for us to buy pre-packaged food than it does for me to cook our dinners. I don't buy fresh though, I tend to let it go bad, so I buy frozen.

Quoting michiganmom116:

poeticrose09
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:34 AM
How do yoy do it. I feel like im drowning in information and lackbof ideas. Everything ibhave tried nut butter wise has tasted awful too

Quoting Jensep:

We are gluten free & dairy free too! We used to be egg free, but my son is ok with egg now! 

Quoting poeticrose09: Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)