Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do you think it's more expensive to eat healthy?

Is your grocery bill more expensive when you buy fresh produce and healthier 'green' or organic products?
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
jessi2girls
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't buy organic.. a lot of it's corrupt. but no, I save more by buying fresh produce from our local farmers market.. same with meats. 

It's fresher, and healthier that way. I could probably save more if I made more things homemade.. but I honestly am not a great cook.. I can bake pretty decently (just don't ask me to decorate, lol).. but a great cook I am not. 

snowball184
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and no.let me explain.if I got all organic then yea I couldn't afford it.but I always keep Apple's and organges.and I grow produce in the summer and can plus I buy frozen veggies.I think you just gotta know how to balance it.i wish organic and fresh was cheaper though

Jensep
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:40 AM

It was tough at the beginning, we used to be dairy, gluten, yeast & egg free, THAT was tough! Now that it's just dairy and gluten, it feels like a piece of cake! But egg is a big thing, many gluten free items have egg in it. You can obviously do coconut and almond milk. You can make cashew cheese. Use egg replacer (gross IMO)olive oil for cooking coconut aminos for flavor...idk-it's tough!

Quoting poeticrose09: How do yoy do it. I feel like im drowning in information and lackbof ideas. Everything ibhave tried nut butter wise has tasted awful too

Quoting Jensep:

We are gluten free & dairy free too! We used to be egg free, but my son is ok with egg now! 

Quoting poeticrose09: Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Organic yes, fresh no.
GotSomeKids
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Yes it is. But I have a feeling it has to do with the area we live in.

Ex....,organic endive. $6.99 per pound. That us stupid expensive.
schultzal
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:49 AM
My grocery bill is a LOT higher, now that I buy free range eggs, organic milk, grass-fed beef, etc.. We have never eaten a diet of processed food, so I don't know how that compares.

I also live in a city with insanely high food costs and only two major grocery retailers...

Meal planning helps us save, but we still spend a lot. Food is one thing we don't really set a limit on, because good food means good health.
cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Have you tried sun butter. We don't have allergies in the family at all but i read about sun butter on here and wanted to try it. My kids love it. I didn't think it was too bad either. Just tasted like sun flowers

Quoting poeticrose09: How do yoy do it. I feel like im drowning in information and lackbof ideas. Everything ibhave tried nut butter wise has tasted awful too

Quoting Jensep:

We are gluten free & dairy free too! We used to be egg free, but my son is ok with egg now! 

Quoting poeticrose09: Oh plz teach me your secrets. Im having to learn how to meal plan around a wheat allergy, peanut,egg, soy and milk allrrgy. Plus im diabetic do im at a loss.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, it's actually more expensive when I take DH or the teens along and they want crap food.  I spent $150 on Saturday, and most of the stuff was frozen pizzas, drinks, and other things for Super Bowl Sunday (DH and teens were along.)  Bleh.  I'm going alone next time. 

Actually, for the past 3 months (until now) I was spending $150 a MONTH for food.  That's with plenty of fresh produce, frozen produce, organic coconut flour, spices.  I do a lot of meal planning and that helps.

Lynette
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM
With all my kids food allergies yes it's more expensive. Everything we make is from scratch it seems. We love fresh produce. It's an expensive way to eat. There is no coupons for these kinds if non boxed, non mainstream foods. It's not like we can go to Aldi's and buy whatever is cheap. We used to buy more organic but the kids are growing, eating more and we just can't pull that off anymore. We are still eating our allergy safe whole foods. It's a hard balance.

If we didn't have food allergies we could do a lot more organic foods. Groceries would be cheaper. As long as we menu planned!
VintageHouswife
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM
It is definitely much more expensive to eat healthy. I buy all organic/free range food and it is INSANE how much more that stuff costs than the regular stuff. I would love to know where people are shopping that it's cheaper. We spend $350 a week for a family of 5!! Insane!!!
Pink.Frosting
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Yes. My bill is definitely higher with healthy food. Especially organic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)