Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do you think it's more expensive to eat healthy?

Is your grocery bill more expensive when you buy fresh produce and healthier 'green' or organic products?
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
LuckymOmma_
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Not where we live,fruits and veggies often are on sale and usually they are dirt cheap,literally,I could buy apples,oranges,grapes,bananas,Strawberries,Blueberries,Watermelon,etc for much less than $20,where as one bag of doritos where half the bag is air will easily cost me $5 or more wich is a waste of money IMO,now I am not saying I don't buy the occsional "treat"wich I do for my Kids,I have health issues so I try to stay far away from junk foods but sometimes I do want a bag of chips or something,now when I do grocery shopping trips myself I buy healthy food,when my kids come with me it's another story

tiniowien
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Depends when you buy in season it stays cheap plus I can buy from the farmers in the summer, 

tiniowien
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Here during the winter months that 20 couldn't buy 3/4ths of that produce, it's always cheaper in the spring and summer 

Quoting LuckymOmma_:

Not where we live,fruits and veggies often are on sale and usually they are dirt cheap,literally,I could buy apples,oranges,grapes,bananas,Strawberries,Blueberries,Watermelon,etc for much less than $20,where as one bag of doritos where half the bag is air will easily cost me $5 or more wich is a waste of money IMO,now I am not saying I don't buy the occsional "treat"wich I do for my Kids,I have health issues so I try to stay far away from junk foods but sometimes I do want a bag of chips or something,now when I do grocery shopping trips myself I buy healthy food,when my kids come with me it's another story

NowImAMom...
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Way more expensive to eat healthy. I don't know how anyone else does it, but fruits and veggies cost me $15-20 but I could buy chips and cookies for half that. Meat, I spend $6 on a pound of hamburger, or $8 on a bag of shrimp. Frozen pizza is under a dollar, and various other frozen fake meals are similarly priced. We end up eating a lot of carbs, because pasta is super cheap and a $6 pound of deli meat makes sandwiches for a week. I spend $60-80 a week for my (almost) 2 year old and myself, trying to get a combination of healthy and cheap. :/
LaughCryLive
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

real food is cheap.

LaughCryLive
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM

A bag of frozen brocoli is $1 and it's 6 servings. You can't buy chips for $1 for 6 servings. Plus chips will not keep you satisfied so you will probably eat more than 1 serving of chips.

Quoting NowImAMom...: Way more expensive to eat healthy. I don't know how anyone else does it, but fruits and veggies cost me $15-20 but I could buy chips and cookies for half that. Meat, I spend $6 on a pound of hamburger, or $8 on a bag of shrimp. Frozen pizza is under a dollar, and various other frozen fake meals are similarly priced. We end up eating a lot of carbs, because pasta is super cheap and a $6 pound of deli meat makes sandwiches for a week. I spend $60-80 a week for my (almost) 2 year old and myself, trying to get a combination of healthy and cheap. :/

Alayna - Wife to Sanjay and mommy to Anjali

SimplyEnchanted
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Cheaper to eat healthy. 9 people on this house but the baby is ebf so only buying for 8...ot costs anywhere from 80-145 for a week.
aiden032809
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah it is more expensive around here to eat healthy...
eykelley
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:41 AM
It depends. I spend about $400 a month on a family of 4. We are transitioning out of eating dairy, so right now we are using Almond Milk, Almond Milk yogurt, almond cheese. Its been expensive to try different things to see what we like. But, we buy all natural meats, veggies, fruits. We are also slowly getting rid of gluten in our diet as well. So again, it is an experiment. I have a feeling that next month, when i go shopping we will spend about $450. Hoping it'll go down from there.
jesssanate
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Qfc!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN