Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Pelvic floor *update: some things I found*

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I need a list of exercises, besides kegals, for strengthening the pelvic floor muscles.  Mine are extremely weak. I'm finding myself leaking (read: peeing myself) whenever I do my sit-ups.  This is even after going to the bathroom before doing my sit-ups.  I'm starting to take the cloth diaper inserts I had and am using them in my underwear whenever I get ready to do the sit-ups.

I did some looking into this.  I knew I had read an article before that was talking about how squats are better for you than doing kegals.  I found a video that talked a little more indepth about it.  Rather than squats being "better" than kegals, it is recommended to do squats in addition to kegals.  Here is the video that explains it better than I could.  Instead of your standard squat type exercise, you want to focus on doing the kind of squat like you would do using a Japanese toilet (which is essentially a urinal laid down in the ground) or what you would picture a hunter-gatherer doing to pick berries.  You want to do this about 9-10 times a day.

I also found this video that shows you a couple exercises that you can do to strengthen your pelvic floor as well.

Here are some other links I found on exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor.
http://www.fitsugar.com/Examples-Pelvic-Floor-Exercises-18387379#opening-slide
http://www.livestrong.com/article/456260-pelvic-girdle-exercises/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/333399-yoga-poses-for-pelvic-floor-strengthening/

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM

I'm honestly not sure...bump!

cntrdmom
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:27 AM
The only thing I know to do is kegels and using Ben wa balls. They have strengthening kits but I don't know much about them. There's a type of tool you can insert and squeeze and measure your strength and use it to do kegels as well. So maybe search for something like that?
Otherwise I just know that being in a low squat will help stretch the pelvic floor muscles.
I'll come back if I can find what I'm talking about.
cntrdmom
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Mobile Photo

Here we go. I suggest this because I worked with a woman and due to constant coughing she starting experiencing this in her 30s and she hasn't even had children yet. Her mom was on her 60s and she said they both had one of these and that it helped her. Her mom didn't use it enough last I heard. She said being able to see it though helped her know where she was and if she was doing kegels right.
There may be some yoga moves that help with pelvic floor muscles, but from everything I've read kegels really are the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006HKCDWA
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I was just reading some articles about improper form during squats increase issues like this! It's important to really concentrate on "squeezing" at the right time - and too many trainers forget to tell their female clients this. Kegals are SUPER IMPORTANT but if you're already doing them, it may be necessary to see your ob/gyn to ensure there are no other issues.
ncbirdie
by Robyn on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM

BUMP!

chrisnjoesmom
Getting ready for the WW open house Saturday! Hope they like my decorations!
Yesterday at 8:49 PM
by Adrienne on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting. There are several devices to help as well. I have never tried them though.

I had pelvic floor surgery a few years ago for stage four prolapse, I had an excellent urologist surgeon who did not use the mesh at all thank goodness.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM
My friend had the mesh surgery done at the end of September and is having nothing but problems!! So important to research and ask questions - just because they're doctors doesn't mean they all know what's best.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Interesting. There are several devices to help as well. I have never tried them though.

I had pelvic floor surgery a few years ago for stage four prolapse, I had an excellent urologist surgeon who did not use the mesh at all thank goodness.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mybratsmom: My friend had the mesh surgery done at the end of September and is having nothing but problems!! So important to research and ask questions - just because they're doctors doesn't mean they all know what's best.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

I wonder if they had the mesh "sling" done or if it was just a bad surgeon. Sorry to hear. For me it went perfectly.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM
She had the sling done. Since, she has had bad cramps, incontinence, and constant UTIs. I've tried telling her to go back and complain or find a new doctor and tell them but she keeps saying her doctor told her it could take a year to be normal. I get recovery periods but what's going on just doesn't seem right at all.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Quoting mybratsmom: My friend had the mesh surgery done at the end of September and is having nothing but problems!! So important to research and ask questions - just because they're doctors doesn't mean they all know what's best.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

I wonder if they had the mesh "sling" done or if it was just a bad surgeon. Sorry to hear. For me it went perfectly.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My doctor did it without a sling. He said he stitched everything together "naturally." There are lawsuits against the slingd and mesh because they can cause the problems you said.

Quoting mybratsmom: She had the sling done. Since, she has had bad cramps, incontinence, and constant UTIs. I've tried telling her to go back and complain or find a new doctor and tell them but she keeps saying her doctor told her it could take a year to be normal. I get recovery periods but what's going on just doesn't seem right at all.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)