Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

starting my weightloss journey.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hi to all. I am 25 years old and have 3 sons. They are 8, 20 months and 1 month old. I have always been kind of bigger my whole life.. at 16 before having kids I was 175 and a sz 7/9. After my first son I got up to 219 and then back down to about 190. After that I just gained & gained. When I got pregnant with ds2 I weighed 267. I got down to about 240. With ds3 I started at 255 and I am 234 today. At my highest weight I was 282.

So, I've started out slowly. Ive cut fast food out and am eating smaller portions. I've done small things like no pop, less butter and sugar, more whole grains etc. This morning I've had 470 calories so far.

One issue I am having is that I am breastfeeding. Everything everywhere says I should eat 2000-2500 calories. Myfitnesspal says 1250. What should I go by?

Any tips? I'd love to keep in contact with someone for accountability and to help boost me along :)
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_lively
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

BUMP!

MamaKelly45
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hi there.  I can hold you accountable.  I am double your age, but I am so active, so I do not feel my age at all.  I want to lose 30-40 myself and I am down 8lbs so far and loving it.  I cut out alcohol and junk.  I usually eat good, it was the booze making me fat.  LOL.  I feel way better.  I have calculators on a website for calories, BMR, etc.  I will help!  I love fitness. 

okiemamaof3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:58 PM
My goal is to get to 200. From there I'd like to get to 175ish. Congrats on the 8lb weight loss! Im not as active as I'd like to be but im starting out small.

Quoting MamaKelly45:

Hi there.  I can hold you accountable.  I am double your age, but I am so active, so I do not feel my age at all.  I want to lose 30-40 myself and I am down 8lbs so far and loving it.  I cut out alcohol and junk.  I usually eat good, it was the booze making me fat.  LOL.  I feel way better.  I have calculators on a website for calories, BMR, etc.  I will help!  I love fitness. 

okiemamaof3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:58 PM
My goal is to get to 200. From there I'd like to get to 175ish. Congrats on the 8lb weight loss! Im not as active as I'd like to be but im starting out small.

Quoting MamaKelly45:

harrisongirl
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Congrads on the new baby!  I have a 10 week old so I'm right there with ya on the need to start up a new diet. Firstly, have you ever watched hungry for change? I really recommend this one. But even more than that one I recommend watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. This documentury changed my life forever. It helped me loose about thirty pounds in one month, and another ten or so later. It also taught me about food through their webside www.rebootwithjoe.com. It also helped me to keep the weight off and not bounce right back. I would watch both of those documenturys.  One thing to keep in mind is that you did just have a baby and you may still be recovering and your body will need a lot of healthy calories to recover. I would go easy on yourself for another month or two before I jump into restricing calories so heavily. Also if you are a nursing mom you should take it extra careful and not diet, but rather eat superfoods without restriciting calories. 

youllneverknow
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Have one of the ladies here calculate your bmr then add 500 onto that because you're breastfeeding.I started at 249 and I'm at 203 now. You got this!
amberlynn1218
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I think starting out small is a great idea! It will help you get into a routine a lot easier and I think it will help you not get burned out.

Quoting okiemamaof3: My goal is to get to 200. From there I'd like to get to 175ish. Congrats on the 8lb weight loss! Im not as active as I'd like to be but im starting out small.

Quoting MamaKelly45:

okiemamaof3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM
I will check those out. Im not stuck on the calories, just being mindful of them. Im optioning for something healthy at this point instead of junk and also cutting my portion sizes way down.

Im doing 30 mins of zumba and adding more if i can. When it warms up I can go walking with the kids & Im really considering getting an elliptical.

Im trying to be easy on myself since i basically just had a baby BUT I'd like to lose weight since 22lbs dropped off so fast!

Quoting harrisongirl:

Congrads on the new baby!  I have a 10 week old so I'm right there with ya on the need to start up a new diet. Firstly, have you ever watched hungry for change? I really recommend this one. But even more than that one I recommend watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. This documentury changed my life forever. It helped me loose about thirty pounds in one month, and another ten or so later. It also taught me about food through their webside www.rebootwithjoe.com. It also helped me to keep the weight off and not bounce right back. I would watch both of those documenturys.  One thing to keep in mind is that you did just have a baby and you may still be recovering and your body will need a lot of healthy calories to recover. I would go easy on yourself for another month or two before I jump into restricing calories so heavily. Also if you are a nursing mom you should take it extra careful and not diet, but rather eat superfoods without restriciting calories. 

okiemamaof3
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I did 25 mins of zumba today and then another 15 of a different trainers workout. Im counting calories but really just to be mindful. My main focus is cutting my portion size down significantly and making healthier food choices :)

Quoting amberlynn1218:

I think starting out small is a great idea! It will help you get into a routine a lot easier and I think it will help you not get burned out.

Quoting okiemamaof3: My goal is to get to 200. From there I'd like to get to 175ish. Congrats on the 8lb weight loss! Im not as active as I'd like to be but im starting out small.

Quoting MamaKelly45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Do you know your BMR?  We can help with that...need your height, weight, age, number of days you workout. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)