Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gaining weight and losing inches?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

Is it possible to actually GAIN weight and still lose inches?  I don't know if my scale is off (it does have a crack on the side but not sure if that's affecting it).  But it seems every-time i've gotten on the scale lately it says i've GAINED weight. However when i take my measurements i'm still LOSING inches around my bust, waist, hips, etc.  

I really have no clue what's going on.  This has never happend to me before, especially since i exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week and i eat WHOLE foods.  My clothes don't feel like they're getting tighter either.  

I don't feel like i'm losing tons of weight but surely don't feel like i'm gaing it either.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BoopBettyBoop
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM

When you exercise you tend to gain muscle which weighs more than fat.  So don't pay too much attention to the weight on the scale right now compared to how your clothes are fitting.  If they are fitting better or even fell looser than you are losing, just not on the scale yet.  Keep up the good work!

ambtrav2kids
by Amber on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM
^^^^ this exactly.
jenny_1012
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Im having the same problem :(
bc19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, 1 lb of muscle is the same as 1 lb of fat. However, muscle takes up less space then fat. So you can be losing fat and gaining muscles and still be losing inches if not weight.

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:00 PM

See, I understand and yet I don't understand that argument.  It's like saying that lead doesn't weigh more than feathers.  A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead.  However, if you look at say a 1cm x 1cm x 1cm sqare of each fat and muscle, the muscle is going to weigh more because it is more dense.

Quoting bc19:

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, 1 lb of muscle is the same as 1 lb of fat. However, muscle takes up less space then fat. So you can be losing fat and gaining muscles and still be losing inches if not weight.

Alyson121
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Thanks ladies!!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

These ladies have the right idea Alyson!  Great job!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Quoting ncbirdie:

See, I understand and yet I don't understand that argument.  It's like saying that lead doesn't weigh more than feathers.  A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead.  However, if you look at say a 1cm x 1cm x 1cm sqare of each fat and muscle, the muscle is going to weigh more because it is more dense.

Quoting bc19:

You are both saying the exact same thing...

If you have 1 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscle...how much do they both weigh?  1 lb right? 

HOWEVER- muscle is much denser and takes up less space than fat, so by VOLUME it will be as if it weighs more. That is what makes people confused. They weigh the same technically, but by volume they would not. 

Does that make sense? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

OP- How long have you beend working out, etc? 

When you workout, your muscles will retain water for a bit to repair, and then it is redistributed throughout your body. This is how you build muscle...that said, it takes 12 weeks to build 1-2 lbs of muscle. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Alyson121
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

OP- How long have you beend working out, etc? 

When you workout, your muscles will retain water for a bit to repair, and then it is redistributed throughout your body. This is how you build muscle...that said, it takes 12 weeks to build 1-2 lbs of muscle. 

I've been exercising for some years now, however i tend to get pregnant every few years too and then stop exercising until after the baby, etc.  However after i had baby #6 (which was about 4 months ago) i started exercising sooner.  So i'd say i probably got regular with my exercise around Nov 2013. I was working out about 3 times a week, mostly doing Vinyasa yoga for about 10-15 minutes.  In December i was up to 5 times a week and alternating between yoga and hard cardio and my routines would be from 15-30 minutes.  Once January rolled around i was sometimes doing 6 days a week, hard cardio, weights, more advanced yoga and a minimum of 30 minutes each workout.  

I just noticed in January that i actually started to GAIN weight instead of lose.  I've actually started eating MORE living foods then too so i was totally thrown off when the scale said i was getting "fatter" 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)