Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do you like to take it slow or just dive in?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:43 AM
  • 6 Replies

DH and I are both trying to loose weight and get in better shape but it's funny how different our approaches are. He's fully throwing himself into the change - running a ton (he's always been a runner) with different running groups and independently, and recently he drastically changed his diet to cut calories. It's the "diet plan for the obsessive" which honestly works with his personality and is working for his body. I can see him toning up and loosing the jiggle fairly fast.

I'm much more of a "take one thing at a time" kinda gal. I started with single changes to my diet for a week or two each, and didn't add more until I got used to that one change. Now I'm gradually adding in bits of exercise that I can maintain. I'm planning to do a 5K later this spring and hope to be able to jog the whole way without walking, but if I have to stop and walk a bit, oh well. I haven't lost much weight yet, but I know I'm on a path to a healthier life that I can live with long-term and use as a good foundation for my boys. (And my skin is looking better so the diet changes must be doing something good!)

I used to be different. Back when I was in my mid-20's, I got fed up with being overweight and just became totally obsessive about diet and exercise and dropped 60lbs in about 10 months. It was seriously something that was ALWAYS on my mind and factored into everything I did. At least I learned a ton about nutrition and exercise during that period and continued learning more over the coming years. It worked but I'm just not as focused and determined now. Having a peaceful, balanced life is more important. Having a well-run, happy home for my family is more important now. Taking care of myself is an important part of that picture, but just something I don't mind working on gradually. 

What is your style? What works for you? 

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:12 AM

I think we're all different and have to find what works best for us.  Now, I will say that the slower you lose it, the more likely you are to keep it off:)

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Little changes with diet is what worked for me.  With exercise, it's throw myself in and do as much as I can.

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Both lol. I dive in each time but have failed each time.but every time I have dove in,I keep up with a few little things even after I fall off the wagon. So technically it's been slow progress but since I have retained a few good habits every time I have failed, I'm way more successful this time.did that make any sense whatsoever?
livndaybyday
by Alicia on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM
I know that in the past I would go all out like your dh, I would see results quickly, but I didn't really learn anything about what to do to maintain. I would get burned out quickly, then gain everything back plus some extra until I would freak out, go crazy and start the cycle all over again. I have lost and gained the same 100 lbs numerous times. This time I decided to try it differently. I'm making one change at a time until it becomes just a normal everyday thing to me, then make another change. It is taking what seems like forever to drop the pounds but this feels like something I can do for the rest of my life.
ILoveYourWork
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Men lies weight differently than we do (jerks). But I'm an all or nothing kind if gal
ambtrav2kids
by Amber on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Most of the time I dive in but I'm finding myself going slow. I think it's more because I realize that some things need to be done in steps this time around.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN