Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Here we go again! This time I'm gonna make it stick!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 16 Replies

I started a weight loss/fitness journal a few months back, but nothing ever came of it.  I've made small changes in my lifestyle.  I no longer drink pop (well, not entirely true, I treat myself every Saturday to a Dr. Pepper).  I eat cleaner, and buy a lot less processed food.  I exercise a couple of times a week, and even started the Tyson Method 6 week bootcamp this past week (thus the sore booty and aching legs).  In total I've lost 6 lousy pounds since last November. :(

I'm not doing enough to get myself into the shape I want to be.  I need to kick it up a couple of notches, push myself harder.  My motivation in the past has always been to look good, but that has changed in recent months.  On Christmas Eve my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.  We are blessed that it was diagnosed early (stage 1).  She had a mastectomy in January and is now cancer free.  But it got me thinking... I realize that I can't completely eliminate the risk of getting breast cancer, but I can certainly do a lot of things to reduce it.  And in the event that I ever get sick, I want to be in good health so I have the energy to fight back!  

So this is it.  This is my last best effort to get it done.  No more excuses.  I have about 10 different workouts on DVD, hand weights, yoga mat, running shoes, an elliptical and a supportive DH.  I'm ready to do this!

Current weight: 140 lbs

Goal weight: 120 - 125 lbs

Current BMI: 25.6

Goal BMI: 22

Measurements:

Bust: 38"

Waist: 34"

Abs: 37"

Hips: 38"

Thighs: R 22" L 22"

Biceps: R 11" L 11"

Here I go! 

jumping rope

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kanikki82
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great your getting back to it. If your sick of starting over don't stop in the first place :) I have finally gotten a routine that I am comfortable with. It takes a lot of discipline but you can do it! I made a motivational quote post. It helps me out when I'm feeling lazy. Good luck to you! Keep it up and don't give up! You'll thank yourself you stuck with it..
LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Today I was really motivated to get things done.  I managed to do 40 minutes of cardio/dance, 30 minutes of pilates, and 30 minutes of hip openers (yoga). 

As for my diet, eh.  Not that great.  No pop or "junk".  Not much at all actually, just not much of an appetite today.  Gonna have chicken strips (organic, preservative free) and a salad for supper.  Got to drink more water than what I have.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Why do you feel that that Dr. Pepper is a treat? Just curious? What about a chemical-laiden sugar filled concoction with ingredients that are known to cause cancer and trigger binge eating is rewarding?

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the taste.  It's that simple.  I don't need to be reminded that there is nothing natural about it.  I'm certainly not ignorant and am perfectly capable of reading ingredient lists and nutritional labels.  

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Why do you feel that that Dr. Pepper is a treat? Just curious? What about a chemical-laiden sugar filled concoction with ingredients that are known to cause cancer and trigger binge eating is rewarding?

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Fair enough. I'm very far removed from "treat" mentality, I just find it interesting to try to understand what the motivation behind the treat or reward is. 

Quoting LDavis33:

I love the taste.  It's that simple.  I don't need to be reminded that there is nothing natural about it.  I'm certainly not ignorant and am perfectly capable of reading ingredient lists and nutritional labels.  

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM

So you don't occasionally rewards yourself with something sweet or out of the ordinary?  

I grew up with parents who used food as rewards.  They never went overboard, but it would be something like "we'll have pizza tonight if you girls help clean the house", or "if you behave for the sitter, we'll bring you back a little treat".  That mentality is still there.  Although I try to steer clear of it for my childrens' sake, I still love to treat myself every now and then.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Fair enough. I'm very far removed from "treat" mentality, I just find it interesting to try to understand what the motivation behind the treat or reward is. 

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I don't, no, because I don't view food as a reward. Occasionally I may have something that is out of my usual diet, but it's not a reward or a celebration, it's because that is one of my options at the moment. If it's a birthday party, I may have a piece of cake and scrape off the icing. If we're having a work function and all anybody has brought is crap food, I may have little bites to be polite. If I want to reward myself there are other things I do. A new pair of jeans is a reward, for example. To me, that is a tangible reward, it looks great and I can enjoy them all of the time. Food is a momentary reward, and if it's terrible for you, it's done damage rather than given you the boost a reward should. But, once again, I'm just one person and that is just my opinion. 

My weakness is fresh, homeade, warm cinnamon rolls. I can't resist them, so I try to never be exposed to them. They aren't a reward, nothing good comes from eating them. I had to convince myself that I'm more important that a cinnamon roll. I've had to do the same with high-calorie sugary coffee drinks as well. I love them, but I see what I look like and I love that more. 

My Mom used food rewards, and to my Grandmother food=love. My Mother has also been obese her entire life and I would watch her yo-you. She'd go on a diet, do so good all day long with her food, then after dinner "reward" herself with a piece of cheesecake for doing so well all day. It was a life-long cycle of shooting herself in the foot. I think that is why I find people who use food as rewards so interesting, I'm kind of fascinated by the food culture in our country and just how emotional food is for some people. 

Quoting LDavis33:

So you don't occasionally rewards yourself with something sweet or out of the ordinary?  

I grew up with parents who used food as rewards.  They never went overboard, but it would be something like "we'll have pizza tonight if you girls help clean the house", or "if you behave for the sitter, we'll bring you back a little treat".  That mentality is still there.  Although I try to steer clear of it for my childrens' sake, I still love to treat myself every now and then.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, if you are happy rewarding yourself with non-food items that is great!  

Me, I can't help but love my Dr. Pepper and will continue treating myself every Saturday.  I'm pretty sure, despite your assertions to the contrary, that one can of Dr. Pepper once a week will not cause irreversable damage to my body.  

I find it a little odd though that you aren't willing to treat yourself to a delicious fresh cinnamon roll because you love them and if would give you some pleasure, but are more than willing to eat a piece of stale birthday cake (sans icing of course) or crap food just to please others.  

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't, no, because I don't view food as a reward. Occasionally I may have something that is out of my usual diet, but it's not a reward or a celebration, it's because that is one of my options at the moment. If it's a birthday party, I may have a piece of cake and scrape off the icing. If we're having a work function and all anybody has brought is crap food, I may have little bites to be polite. If I want to reward myself there are other things I do. A new pair of jeans is a reward, for example. To me, that is a tangible reward, it looks great and I can enjoy them all of the time. Food is a momentary reward, and if it's terrible for you, it's done damage rather than given you the boost a reward should. But, once again, I'm just one person and that is just my opinion. 

My weakness is fresh, homeade, warm cinnamon rolls. I can't resist them, so I try to never be exposed to them. They aren't a reward, nothing good comes from eating them. I had to convince myself that I'm more important that a cinnamon roll. I've had to do the same with high-calorie sugary coffee drinks as well. I love them, but I see what I look like and I love that more. 

My Mom used food rewards, and to my Grandmother food=love. My Mother has also been obese her entire life and I would watch her yo-you. She'd go on a diet, do so good all day long with her food, then after dinner "reward" herself with a piece of cheesecake for doing so well all day. It was a life-long cycle of shooting herself in the foot. I think that is why I find people who use food as rewards so interesting, I'm kind of fascinated by the food culture in our country and just how emotional food is for some people. 

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM

There is a difference. If I start on a cinnamon roll I won't stop. I can take a couple of bites of crap food and be fine. And I would never eat stale cake, ewww.  I don't want to sabotage myself. Cinnamon rolls are a saboteur to me, so I steer clear. I've worked very hard to look the way I do, if I eat a cinnamon roll it will bloat me up like a balloon, my clothes would fit funny, and I couldn't see my abs for the day. That bothers me much more than any cinnamon roll could give me the happys. 

Food can be a pleasurable, certainly, but I can find as much pleasure in healthy food as I can sugary carb stuffs. 

I'm of the mentality that food isn't a treat. Food is fuel for my amazing body to do amazing things, nothing more. I find pleasure in other areas. I'm not bagging on you for drinking a Dr. Pepper, I'm just trying to understand why people view food as a reward. Like I keep saying, it's interesting to me. 

Quoting LDavis33:

Well, if you are happy rewarding yourself with non-food items that is great!  

Me, I can't help but love my Dr. Pepper and will continue treating myself every Saturday.  I'm pretty sure, despite your assertions to the contrary, that one can of Dr. Pepper once a week will not cause irreversable damage to my body.  

I find it a little odd though that you aren't willing to treat yourself to a delicious fresh cinnamon roll because you love them and if would give you some pleasure, but are more than willing to eat a piece of stale birthday cake (sans icing of course) or crap food just to please others.  

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Sunday I did 40 minutes of cardio/dance.  Yesterday, went to my 50 minute bootcamp.  Worked legs and abs. My goal today is 40 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of either pilates or yoga.  I was going to use Tuesdays as my rest day, but I think I'll push through today because I have a feeling my kiddos will be forced to fend for themselves tomorrow as I don't think I'll be able to move my lower body.  Why do I always feel those intense workouts two days later?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)