Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Stress eating

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
Okay. So, I KNOW the rules and what had worked. Drinking a glass of water, waiting, and just not keeping it in the house. Here lately, with dh home (as he usually works out of town) we've had junk in the house and I find myself not being able to portion it out. I keep it out of sight but go a little overboard when it's out in the open. Idk what to do. It's so hard. I'm really feeling that struggle. I do great with my workouts but am seeming to sabotage them in same way. I've lost a couple lbs these last couple of weeks, which is great but I am really having issues. How do you all handle this?
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kanikki82
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Don't buy junk food lol! I have a hard time with this also. It's easier if there is no junk food in the house. Or if you make healthier treats that cure your craving also helps. When your thinking of eating junk go do a workout or find something else to get your mind off of it. Reading books, playing with the kids, Go outside for some fresh air. You just have to try and tell yourself this is not healthy food and it will take a lot of exercise to get rid of the extra calories you just consumed. It will also make you feel like crap to. This is way harder to stop than to start working out in My opinion. It takes a lot of discipline. Good luck!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Find something else to do to keep your hands occupied, some way to let out your stress.  I do needlework, and I cannot have food or drink around the projects (ruin fabric, etc.)

Chewing gum?

And don't beat yourself up over it.  You've recognized the behavior, it's no longer subconscious, so make a decision to walk past it/put it out of sight.

With that being said.....I'll confess I just bought and ate 1/2 of a cherry fritter.  I'm going to pay for it in about 30 minutes with stomach cramps, but I'm feeling quite stressed and it was SOOOO GOOOD.....

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it stress eating - or binging? Different problems - different answers. My DH is gone ALL THE TIME. I have no family and really - I get in here for social interaction. Two kids and being a full-time student myself - sometimes I feel like I'm dying - I need a break from dogs and kids and afternoon madness - I just want someone to vent to, someone to commiserate with - someone to just hang out with for a tiny bit. I'd love to dive into a bag of crunchy Cheetos and a Pepsi - especially when I've been sick with a fever and a sinus infection for over a week and the past three mornings I've woken up to dog puke or poop on the floor and I'm just barely able to get up to drive the kids to school. BUT - I don't keep junk in the house to tempt me. And when DH is home - he respects the fact that my nutrition plan is not a diet - not something just for one of us - it's my effort to get the whole family healthy - so if a treat comes in, it's small enough to be gone THAT DAY. If things get really bad, I make roasted carrots sprinkled with brown sugar and butter, or baked sweet potato with a handful of mini marshmallows. THAT IS A TREAT!!! Grilled apples sprinkled with cinnamon, chia seed pudding with vanilla almond milk and a banana - so good. I make protein balls with chocolate chips - like cookie dough. I struggle hard to find healthy snacks that taste good. But, I try hard to keep junk out, or, have better options available to myself when stuff I choose not to eat comes in.
Having options helps A LOT.
Hope you get some ideas that help you.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM

When I feel like I want to do that I stop and make myself do something physical. Even if it's just 25 jumping jacks in a short setting, it does the trick. I've trained myself to use physical activity as my form of stress relief, rather than food. 

srehman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM
That's a great idea! If I'm stressed before I go to the gym it gets worked out...but what if I'm not before I go to the gym. So, maybe stopping and doing that would be an idea!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

When I feel like I want to do that I stop and make myself do something physical. Even if it's just 25 jumping jacks in a short setting, it does the trick. I've trained myself to use physical activity as my form of stress relief, rather than food. 

srehman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM
When I do the shopping....the only junk that is bought is granola bars and Capri sun for the school lunch. When dh goes he brings back crap! Lol but, yes I did have control and lately it seems like it's spiraling. But...will get ahold of it especially since I recognize the trigger.
I love peanut butter protein power bars and that's my favorite treat. I just haven't made it in a while. Due to laziness lol.

Quoting kanikki82: Don't buy junk food lol! I have a hard time with this also. It's easier if there is no junk food in the house. Or if you make healthier treats that cure your craving also helps. When your thinking of eating junk go do a workout or find something else to get your mind off of it. Reading books, playing with the kids, Go outside for some fresh air. You just have to try and tell yourself this is not healthy food and it will take a lot of exercise to get rid of the extra calories you just consumed. It will also make you feel like crap to. This is way harder to stop than to start working out in My opinion. It takes a lot of discipline. Good luck!
youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM
I'm temporarily living with my dad.my brother us here half the time too. Neither have them have any desire whatsoever to eat healthy so I'm learning to put my healthy stuff in certain places so I don't even have to look at their food lol.
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I plan out my day of food-calories.  That way, if I want that cookie or cake or ice cream or whatever, I can have it- but only the amount I've allowed for.  I also have hard candies and gum around for when I want something, but have already used up or planned for the calories -that helps too. I also will just get out of the house and wander walmart or the mall or whatever-then I'm not thinking about eating ;)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:21 AM

These ladies have some great advice mama!  Hugs and good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)