Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Jillian Michaels Says Rachel Frederickson Lost Too Much on ‘Biggest Loser’

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM
  • 4 Replies

Jillian Michaels Says Rachel Frederickson Lost Too Much on ‘Biggest Loser’

by Jenny Erikson

Rachel FredericksonRemember the look on Jillian Michael’s face when she saw Rachel Frederickson’s big reveal on the finale of the Biggest Loser? In case your memory needs jogging, Rachel is the most recent winner of the weight loss reality show, and her shocking drop from 260 pounds to 105 in a matter of months kind of had us all reeling a little.

Jillian and her co-trainer on the show Bob Harper, who had not seen the contestants for several months before the filming of the finale, both had a jaw-dropping moment when Rachel walked on stage thin as a rail and weighed in at 105 pounds. Now Jillian has finally broken her silence on the matter.

It caused a huge amount of controversy on the web, because hey, that’s what the Internet is for, and most people involved with the show have refrained from comment.

Because really, there’s nothing wrong with weighing 105 pounds. Lots of people weight that amount, and it’s normal and healthy. I’m not one of them, but it happens. It just seems kind of unhealthy to drop more than half your body weight in just over six months and end up 90s-model thin.

Now Jillian has finally spoken out about the extreme weight loss and she has gone on record saying she thinks Rachel lost too much weight. In a skype interview with HuffPost Live, the trainer shared:

"Nobody told me like, 'Oh hey, Rachel is very, very thin.' Bob [Harper] and I had no idea … nobody had told us. Nobody had said anything to us. So yes, I was stunned. Obviously I thought she had lost too much weight … I was immediately concerned and wondering how this happened."

Thank goodness she said something. I don’t want to thin-shame anyone at all. Skinny people are cool in my book. So are heavier people. Wherever you feel happy and healthy, good. But shifting from one extreme to another so rapidly can be cause for concern.

I’m glad Jillian said something. I don’t think any woman should go through life fighting her instincts and her body to be a size 0 because she thinks that’s what pretty means.

Besides, just from a health standpoint, losing so much weight so quickly puts Rachel at risk for gaining it back. And yo-yo dieting is just a recipe for disaster for our bodies and our health.

Do you think Rachel Frederickson’s astounding weight loss is cause for concern?

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
My honest opinion is that the show isn't called, "become a healthier person" or "become a healthy role model" it's called, "the biggest loser". Fact of the matter is she is a competitor and did what she did to win. Whether or not I agree with it has no weight in the situation (pun intended :). While I like the show I never quite agreed with the philosophy behind it. Maybe the producers will change their approach but I never thought this was the healthiest permanent weight loss approach.
cj123573
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM
My sentiments exactly

Quoting audmom1218: My honest opinion is that the show isn't called, "become a healthier person" or "become a healthy role model" it's called, "the biggest loser". Fact of the matter is she is a competitor and did what she did to win. Whether or not I agree with it has no weight in the situation (pun intended :). While I like the show I never quite agreed with the philosophy behind it. Maybe the producers will change their approach but I never thought this was the healthiest permanent weight loss approach.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Totally agree!  Well said.

Quoting audmom1218: My honest opinion is that the show isn't called, "become a healthier person" or "become a healthy role model" it's called, "the biggest loser". Fact of the matter is she is a competitor and did what she did to win. Whether or not I agree with it has no weight in the situation (pun intended :). While I like the show I never quite agreed with the philosophy behind it. Maybe the producers will change their approach but I never thought this was the healthiest permanent weight loss approach.

eclaudin
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM
I didn't watch the show, but I read the article in People magazine. She looks skeletal and the skin on her face around her mouth just hangs there in deep wrinkles, making this pretty girl look much older than her age. I hope she went that far purely to win, and plans on gaining a good 10-20 lbs to look healthy again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN