Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

The best exercises/food to lose weight quickly???

Posted by   + Show Post
We started an 8 week weight loss challenge at work. I want to win! I've been using MFP since January 6 & I've lost 14 pounds. I want to lose weight at a faster rate. I'm not yet exercising, and I've really only just started making better food choices. I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to lose as much as possible. It's $300+ in my pocket, plus I've never in my life been successful & I'm ready to be!

I'm ready to start incorporating exercise. I have no gym membership & no work out videos. I'm also incredibly out of shape. Where do I start?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Replies (21-29):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Quoting jazzgirl205:

Here's what I just started.  To keep me from getting bored, I've decided to try a different exercise video from youtube everyday.  Today I tried bellydancing for beginners.  Totally loved it.  Just started yesterday so I can't really give results.

*Make sure to pay attention to your posture if you are going to belly dance. Hopefully, whatever video you found explained and reminds you of it ;)

kidslovemom
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Keep doing what your doing and if the exercise was too much, walk.  You can walk with hand weights if you want to.  If exercising makes you want to not move bc it hurts so bad after, then you did too much.  Try to find a happy place in the middle between what you've been doing and the next level.  Good luck but take it slow.  Slow and steady has worked well for you so far and if you mess with that to win the contest, the opposite might occur.  I have done that before, gone in with gangbusters and then lost hope quickly.  This time I'm doing weight watchers but not counting points but being more aware of portions and healthier choices, I call it thoughtful eating.  I've lost 26 pounds since September and although I'm breaking no new records, it's the first time I've been below 200 in probably 8 or so years.  I'm very proud of myself.  Slow and steady always wins.  If you lose a pound a week, your down 50 pounds in one year, that's awesome!

Anonymously3
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM

This you can also get the videos on YouTube

Quoting Cassie2115:

I just started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred today. It kicked my butt!! You can find it at Walmart for $9! Otherwise if you have the motivation, Insanity is a great workout. I have yet to make it past the warmup lol. I'm going to do that after I finish the 30DS. I am also incorporating jogging into my day since I want to run a 5k this year. Good luck mama!!

kitchenwitch27
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Don't lose motivation!! There's a modified version of everything. 

Modified jumping jack:

Modified butt kicks... just march. I can't think of one for a reverse crunch but if you can do regular crunches then I'd just do those. :)

Quoting lillybug222: I did use cans of soup. I cannot do a jumping jack. I cannot do butt kicks. I cannot do any type of reverse crunch. My motivation has already dwindled. I somehow hurt my back & no part of me wants to do that again tomorrow when I'm sore. This is why I only walk for exercise.
Quoting Cassie2115: You could use cans of soup for the hand weights or anything that weighs 2-3 lbs. I use 3 lb weights right now and I can feel it.
Quoting lillybug222: I found it on YouTube! I think I can play it from the wii. I don't have hand weights. Are they necessary?
Quoting Cassie2115:

I just started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred today. It kicked my butt!! You can find it at Walmart for $9! Otherwise if you have the motivation, Insanity is a great workout. I have yet to make it past the warmup lol. I'm going to do that after I finish the 30DS. I am also incorporating jogging into my day since I want to run a 5k this year. Good luck mama!!

MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Carbs are not the enemy. Carbs from whole foods and plants are necessary and good for you. It's the refined ones that are the devil.
kitchenwitch27
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

As I started watching what I eat I have realized I was eating way too many carbs. I now eat two servings of carbs/day. Before, practically every meal/snack had carbs in it. Now, I find myself eating more veggies and protein but I still eat carbs b/c I am not comfortable with the idea of cutting out any food group completely. ;)

Quoting lillybug222: While this might help me lose weight quickly, it's not something I can do long term & I want to lose weight long term!
Quoting theresaphilly:

Start by getting rid of the carbs, I always tell folks, carbs are what you burn before you even get to the body fat. Eliminate, all breads, pastas, rices, fat free salad dressings (they have a ton of carbs), potatoes, sugars, and drink three cups of green tea a day (stay close to the bathrooms). Eliminating those carbs and exercising three days a week for 1/2 hour a day you will see weight drop off really fast. Or keep your carbs less than 20g a day. 

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Thanks!

I did just do the regular crunches!

Quoting kitchenwitch27:

Don't lose motivation!! There's a modified version of everything. 

Modified jumping jack:

Modified butt kicks... just march. I can't think of one for a reverse crunch but if you can do regular crunches then I'd just do those. :)

Quoting lillybug222: I did use cans of soup.

I cannot do a jumping jack. I cannot do butt kicks. I cannot do any type of reverse crunch. My motivation has already dwindled. I somehow hurt my back & no part of me wants to do that again tomorrow when I'm sore. This is why I only walk for exercise.

Quoting Cassie2115: You could use cans of soup for the hand weights or anything that weighs 2-3 lbs. I use 3 lb weights right now and I can feel it.

Quoting lillybug222: I found it on YouTube! I think I can play it from the wii. I don't have hand weights. Are they necessary?

Quoting Cassie2115:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaNeeNee
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM
C25k really helped me lose weight when I first started. As well as a "zig zag" calorie plan.. ie: 1600, 1600, 2000, 1600, 1600, 2000...
Keeps your body guessing.
MommyC57
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Skip the Weight Watchers.  Eat clean and workout... the weight will come off easily.  I have always yo-yo'd my whole life.  After I had my son I did Weight Watchers for the millionth time.  A little came off but I wasn't getting the results I wanted.  I bought the T25 program, joined a challenge group, started eating clean and the weight came off easier than ANYTHING I had ever done before.  The combination of eating clean and working out beats nothing else.  AND you feel amazing.  I have since lost more weight, kept it off, and ALMOST have abs for the first time in my life.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN