Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Upper Body?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have recently started working out and have come to discover that I have zero upper body strength. 

What are some good exercises to do to build strength in your arms?  I use small hand weights and, of course, body weight.  How many reps should I start with and how many sets?

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Body weight stuff is a great start... push ups and different variations of them like diamond, incline, knee, pyramid. One friend does planks with punches like upper cuts or jabs. I love skull crushers, tricep dips and Arnolds. I focus on my triceps alot.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Arm strength is my main goal as well. I find that plain old fashioned push ups are the best way to start. Walking planks are also great, but you really have to watch your form with planks, especially if you do side plank raises. I think I may have torn my rotator cuff, I've been nursing it for two weeks, but I'm still trying to work out with it.

I also prefer resistance bands to free weights, I think they put less stress on my tendons. 

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Now I have to google all of those exercises.  The only ones I know are push ups and planks. :)

Quoting JerseyAirGurl: Body weight stuff is a great start... push ups and different variations of them like diamond, incline, knee, pyramid. One friend does planks with punches like upper cuts or jabs. I love skull crushers, tricep dips and Arnolds. I focus on my triceps alot.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM

These ladies have some great ideas...good luck!

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I've been doing planks in my boot camp workouts.  I have a bad wrist so I usually only manage maybe a 30 second plank before I have to do an elbow plank.  

I have a resistance band somewhere in my "closet of lost inspiration" (it's where I keep all of the exercise equipment, art supplies and other random items I've bought over the years when the mood hits me to get in shape, be creative, start a home business, etc).  I'll have to dig it out.   Hopefully going through all that stuff doesn't send me into a depression :)

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Arm strength is my main goal as well. I find that plain old fashioned push ups are the best way to start. Walking planks are also great, but you really have to watch your form with planks, especially if you do side plank raises. I think I may have torn my rotator cuff, I've been nursing it for two weeks, but I'm still trying to work out with it.

I also prefer resistance bands to free weights, I think they put less stress on my tendons. 

almburr
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Tire flips
Milk can walks
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Free weights def put alot of stress. I have weak wrists... I lift with gloves that have the wrist straps to help stabilize when I lift. But it def is easy to pull things.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

kitchenwitch27
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I like doing the plank while doing a row with one arm. So, one arm is supporting my weight while the other is lifting a weight. It's really fun and challenging. There are some great ideas on here. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)