Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Bmi or whatever it's called lol

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
Can someone help me figure out mine please? It's so confusing! I'm getting a better scale at home, but according to the drs scale I'm 178lbs and 5'4 3/4" ugh I'm eating clean finally! Just having trouble with water intake, I hate it! And I don't know how much to drink either. I'm just getting back to working out with a screwed up neck, back, and left leg :/
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lebowski98
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

There will probably be a lot of people who disagree with me on this...but "f" the BMI chart.  First, there are a bazillion different charts out there and some are so beyond screwed up that you'll never know where you stand.  After I had my son in July I was carryig around about 10 extra pounds.  I am 5'4" and I weighed about 130ish...not bad, but not where I wanted to be.  I googled my BMI and one chart told me I was obese.  OBESE...I was wearing size 4 pants!  I googled another one and it said I was in the healthy range.  Forget the BMI charts and look in the mirror and inside yourself.  What do you see?  If you see that you are softer then you'd like to be, or if you see more than what you'd like to see, then you have your answer.

As far as water goes, I always aim for a gallon a day.  That might sounds nuts, but I always feel better when I do it.  I have more energy, my skin is clearer, I sleep better...and I haven't had a bad headache in a long time, which is huge for me!

Also, if you're interested in working out with an online group, and staying accountable and motivated, let me know.  I'm starting a group on Monday, March 31st and would love to have some more company!

mopargurl
by Manna on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM
I definitely see more than I want to, and am too soft and jiggly :/ I'm so over being this size! Before I had my son I was 140lbs and happy and comfy there. He's 21mos old, so it's been long enough for me to have lost this weight! Thank you for your advice :)
I'd love to join your group!

Quoting Lebowski98:

There will probably be a lot of people who disagree with me on this...but "f" the BMI chart.  First, there are a bazillion different charts out there and some are so beyond screwed up that you'll never know where you stand.  After I had my son in July I was carryig around about 10 extra pounds.  I am 5'4" and I weighed about 130ish...not bad, but not where I wanted to be.  I googled my BMI and one chart told me I was obese.  OBESE...I was wearing size 4 pants!  I googled another one and it said I was in the healthy range.  Forget the BMI charts and look in the mirror and inside yourself.  What do you see?  If you see that you are softer then you'd like to be, or if you see more than what you'd like to see, then you have your answer.

As far as water goes, I always aim for a gallon a day.  That might sounds nuts, but I always feel better when I do it.  I have more energy, my skin is clearer, I sleep better...and I haven't had a bad headache in a long time, which is huge for me!

Also, if you're interested in working out with an online group, and staying accountable and motivated, let me know.  I'm starting a group on Monday, March 31st and would love to have some more company!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you want to know your BMR?  Like how many calories/day you need to eat?  Or are you really referring to your BMI?  I agree with the first comment...those scales are so off at times.  Hugs!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Wait...are you referring to BMI ( as in "fat" ratio) or BMR ( Basal Metabolic Rate...# of cals your body needs daily to function and be inactive)?? 

BMI- This is an outdated mode of assessing body fat %. It is not accurate as it does not take into effect water weight, bone density, fat to muscle ratio...if you really want an accurate muscle mass/fat ratio, you need to get a submersion test done. They are hard to find and very expensive. 

BMR- This is a calculation of how many calories your body needs to function and be inactive daily. I can do this for you, I need your age, and if you are going to be working out, how often you will be doing so. I also need to know if you are breastfeeding or not. 

Water: The general guideline for drinking water is to drink half your weight in oz daily...so: 178/2=89 oz

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mopargurl
by Manna on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Yes the bmr! I couldn't think what it was called, thanks! I'm 33, will be 34 by the eom, not breast feeding, and want to workout at least 3 days a week. I want to get to 5 days I week but know I have to start slow with my neck/back/leg issues.
Ugh, any hints/tips for someone who hates water?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Wait...are you referring to BMI ( as in "fat" ratio) or BMR ( Basal Metabolic Rate...# of cals your body needs daily to function and be inactive)?? 

BMI- This is an outdated mode of assessing body fat %. It is not accurate as it does not take into effect water weight, bone density, fat to muscle ratio...if you really want an accurate muscle mass/fat ratio, you need to get a submersion test done. They are hard to find and very expensive. 

BMR- This is a calculation of how many calories your body needs to function and be inactive daily. I can do this for you, I need your age, and if you are going to be working out, how often you will be doing so. I also need to know if you are breastfeeding or not. 

Water: The general guideline for drinking water is to drink half your weight in oz daily...so: 178/2=89 oz

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Quoting mopargurl: Yes the bmr! I couldn't think what it was called, thanks! I'm 33, will be 34 by the eom, not breast feeding, and want to workout at least 3 days a week. I want to get to 5 days I week but know I have to start slow with my neck/back/leg issues. Ugh, any hints/tips for someone who hates water?
Quoting mcginnisc:

Got it! 

BMR: 1573

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week: 1573*1.375=2162

To lose 1 lb per week: 2162-500=1662

Your ideal calorie range is 1573-1662 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week while working out 1-3 days per week. 

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1573*1.55=2438

To lose 1 lb per week: 2438-500=1938

Your ideal calorie range while working out 3-5 days per week is 1573-1938 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

wahmx3
by Shelley on Mar. 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM

To answer your water question....try adding a piece or a slice of fresh fruit to give it flavor....strawberry, raspberry, orange, cucumber, lemon, lime etc. Is it better cold for you? What about drinking it with a straw? I love my water cold, I go through half a tray of ice cubes a day. I also use a cute water bottle and drink from a straw.....I was usually doing good with 8 glasses a day, now I do 5-6 all before lunch, just by using the water bottle/straw method. If that doesn't work, a little bit of crystal lite can help (although try and use as little as possible and work toward just plain water).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)