Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Dinner, really need advice!

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM
  • 4 Replies

I just started a job almost 3 weeks ago that is part time evenings, from 4-8pm. Being that it's only 4 hours, I do not get a lunch break. So, I work right through dinner. I get home at 8:30 and I just want to eat like crazy. I end up going for frozen meals or overeat whatever I made for dinner for the family. It's like I gorge. 

I try eating a fairly large lunch and if time allows I have a snack right before leaving for work. 

Sometimes I am truly hungry when I get home and other time it's all in my head...like I feel like I "have to eat" because I didn't eat dinner. 

I tried buying fruit to eat when I get home, but my body just doesn't ever seem to want it at that time of night (again, it's a head thing). 

This is really hindering my weight loss attempt because I am eating so late, not to mention it's either unhealthy or too much. 

If you worked the hours I did and did not get home until 8:30, what would you do for "dinner"? 

*Jess*
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Meal prep!! Hopefully no one steals your preps either!!

I love stuffed chicken - take a chicken breast, season it, layer spinach, tomato and sliced almonds, roll it up and bake it - you have your protein and some veggies! Salad in a jar is also a favorite (and the most likely to get eaten by someone else!!) - spinach, shredded carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, strawberries or mandarins, sliced almonds (we love almonds here), avocado if we have it - sometimes I add cooked sliced chicken breast or browned ground turkey or beef. Shake it up before eating and portion out your dressing if you use any. If you have fruit - blend it into a smoothie! I pre-chop and freeze mine so all I have to do is grab what I want, dump it in the blender and go.

Carry snacks in your purse - I carry apple chips and air popped popcorn. I keep containers of these at home so I only have to make them weekly and it's an easy go-to when I'm home.

Drink a glass of cold water after you eat and try to wait 10-15 minutes before getting something else. I believe in eating if you're hungry - the hard part is eating right.

Hope that helps you.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I've done this.  I would either eat dinner before I left with a small snack when I got home, or else I'd eat the snack (plenty of protein, fat, & fiber to hold me for 4 hours) before work and eat dinner when I got home.

scapermom
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My SIL is on a shift like this & she eats dinner before leaving for work. That makes sense if you can wrap your mind around eating dinner at 3pm. You'd have to shift your lunch time as well or eat a light lunch/snack only. 

Do you get a break at all? If so, maybe you can bring a protein bar or something like that to have while at work? Then you can have a light snack/meal when you get home.

I do know what you mean though. When I was working in the city with a 2 hour commute home, I'd eat dinner very late, like 9pm.  But I couldn't see eating dinner at my desk at the normal hour, I felt like I would be wasting time & be there even later.

lulalacroix
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:38 AM

I would probably eat dinner before work.  Then have a veg and protein "snack" after work.  Maybe a salad with chicken.  Or a chicken breast with a side of cooked greens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN