Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Wrist problems. Modified exercises?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, my left wrist has been bothering me for some time.  And it's only gotten worse the past few days.  Today it is so bad that I can't put weight on it and it is too weak to grip anything properly.  I have a dr.'s appointment on Friday but I am betting it is tendonitis (I have it in my shoulder blade as well).  

So my question is... what kinds of exercises would you recommend to increase upper body strength without putting weight on my wrist or using free weights?  Is there anything?  Would boxing work (I can do that so long as I wear a wrist support)?  

I don't want to lose the progress (as minimal as it is) that I have made.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I wouldn't think boxing would be good because your hitting something - and the impact is absorbed through your limb (hand/wrist/arm).

I use wrist straps - it's basically a thick, long band that I wrap around my wrist a few times, the weight (bar or dumbbell), and then Velcro back to my wrist. They have some that can loop over your thumb, too, but I can't use those ones - I have nerve issues/arthritis - I can't always feel or grasp - so these straps (1) help me maintain form in my wrist/hand but also (2) hold the weight until I can get it safely to the ground. Granted - if I'm having a bad day where I have no sensation or have been having grasping issues, I use machines, but use the strap as a wrap for form only. I don't want to hurt myself.

Hope that helps you.
LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestion about the wrist straps.  I'll check into it.  

With the boxing I wouldn't actually making contact with anything.  I did it last night at boot camp and it didn't seem to bother my wrist.  I'm just not sure if it is only good for cardio or if it can also help build muscle in my arms.

Quoting mybratsmom: I wouldn't think boxing would be good because your hitting something - and the impact is absorbed through your limb (hand/wrist/arm). I use wrist straps - it's basically a thick, long band that I wrap around my wrist a few times, the weight (bar or dumbbell), and then Velcro back to my wrist. They have some that can loop over your thumb, too, but I can't use those ones - I have nerve issues/arthritis - I can't always feel or grasp - so these straps (1) help me maintain form in my wrist/hand but also (2) hold the weight until I can get it safely to the ground. Granted - if I'm having a bad day where I have no sensation or have been having grasping issues, I use machines, but use the strap as a wrap for form only. I don't want to hurt myself. Hope that helps you.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I have weak wrists and I get tennis elbow. Try wrist straps or gloves that that have the extra wrist support.
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Air boxing? Like tae bo? Generally in a class like that, the intent is cardio.

When I was actively studying martial arts, I was probably my best physique - while we did have a lot of calisthenics-type activity, a lot of developing the mental-to-physical link is done. You want to concentrate on each contraction and release - and hold. Think static activity where you hold for a period of time. Each punch is thrown with speed and force, you have every intent of hitting something. Each kick, you hold before bringing back. Balance and stamina, contract, breathe, release. You do have the potential for lean muscle devolopment, but I'm not sure the speed of a cardio-type class would be conducive to the amount of time you would need to hold and contract.

Quoting LDavis33:

With the boxing I wouldn't actually making contact with anything.  I did it last night at boot camp and it didn't seem to bother my wrist.  I'm just not sure if it is only good for cardio or if it can also help build muscle in my arms.

Quoting mybratsmom: I wouldn't think boxing would be good because your hitting something - and the impact is absorbed through your limb (hand/wrist/arm).

I use wrist straps - it's basically a thick, long band that I wrap around my wrist a few times, the weight (bar or dumbbell), and then Velcro back to my wrist. They have some that can loop over your thumb, too, but I can't use those ones - I have nerve issues/arthritis - I can't always feel or grasp - so these straps (1) help me maintain form in my wrist/hand but also (2) hold the weight until I can get it safely to the ground. Granted - if I'm having a bad day where I have no sensation or have been having grasping issues, I use machines, but use the strap as a wrap for form only. I don't want to hurt myself.

Hope that helps you.

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Thanks for the input.  Perhaps a martial arts class or DVD (as opposed to a tae bo type exercise) would help.  I really struggle with upper body strength and just as I seem to be gaining a little momentum this issue with my wrist comes up.

Quoting mybratsmom: Air boxing? Like tae bo? Generally in a class like that, the intent is cardio. When I was actively studying martial arts, I was probably my best physique - while we did have a lot of calisthenics-type activity, a lot of developing the mental-to-physical link is done. You want to concentrate on each contraction and release - and hold. Think static activity where you hold for a period of time. Each punch is thrown with speed and force, you have every intent of hitting something. Each kick, you hold before bringing back. Balance and stamina, contract, breathe, release. You do have the potential for lean muscle devolopment, but I'm not sure the speed of a cardio-type class would be conducive to the amount of time you would need to hold and contract.
Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting mybratsmom: I wouldn't think boxing would be good because your hitting something - and the impact is absorbed through your limb (hand/wrist/arm). I use wrist straps - it's basically a thick, long band that I wrap around my wrist a few times, the weight (bar or dumbbell), and then Velcro back to my wrist. They have some that can loop over your thumb, too, but I can't use those ones - I have nerve issues/arthritis - I can't always feel or grasp - so these straps (1) help me maintain form in my wrist/hand but also (2) hold the weight until I can get it safely to the ground. Granted - if I'm having a bad day where I have no sensation or have been having grasping issues, I use machines, but use the strap as a wrap for form only. I don't want to hurt myself. Hope that helps you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:03 PM

These ladies have some good advice...good luck mama!

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Boxing is all cardio, you wouldn't be increasing any strength.

I have weak wrists and ankles. Brace them, and alternate upper body/lower body days, with a rest day, or cardio only,  every 3rd day. Like others have said, find a brace that loops over your thumb. 

Quoting LDavis33:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)