Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about pubis symphysis disorder?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 AM
  • 10 Replies
Anyone have any info a about pubis symphysis disorder? During a perfectly natural beautiful child birth ( other than the Dr who wouldn't let me deliver in the squatting position I had spent months planning and preparing for and the nurse pushing my legs back into my shoulders though I told her to stop) I heard a snap, so much was happening I completely forgot about it until a week later when my mother told me I shouldn't still be in so much pain. Went back to the hospital and they told me my pubic bone separated and it just happens sometimes and will heal on it's own. Well eight months later guess what, it's not healing. I'm able to walk and as long as I take the stairs at an angle I'm ok but sleeping on my side hurts, rolling over in bed can take my breath away and I have to be very careful getting up from a sitting position. Anyone know anyone who has had this or have any advice? I really want to be active and run and possibly have more kids but right now I feel like that will never happen.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wheepingchree
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:00 AM
I experienced SPD while pregnant, not afterwards. It is seriously painful. Mine went away on it's own though. Have you seen a chiropractor? Perhaps that could help?
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM

SERIOUS pain!  Yes, I know what it's like.  That should have healed by now.  Do you know if the ends of the pubic bone in proper alignment for healing?  What does your doctor say?

I agree with Jessica that a trusted chiropractor or orthopedic doctor should be considered for consult/treatment. 

LtleRayOsnshine
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I did see my chiropractor about it and he suggested exrays and has me squeezing a pillow or a fist between my legs while laying on my back. The last time I saw him it was getting better but I feel like it separated again. I haven't seen a Dr since 6 weeks post partum. My husband has a new job and our insurance starts in May so I will see Dr then.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM

My mother had the same sort of thing when cartilege separated from her ribs in an accident.  I hate to say it, but it took a few years before she didn't feel pain when she moved a certain way.

LtleRayOsnshine
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Ok I'm going to get xrays. I didn't think about them needing to be properly aligned in order to heal, makes sense. My chiropractor has a friend that will do the xrays for $26 each. Do you know how they can align them if they are offset?

Quoting michiganmom116:

SERIOUS pain!  Yes, I know what it's like.  That should have healed by now.  Do you know if the ends of the pubic bone in proper alignment for healing?  What does your doctor say?

I agree with Jessica that a trusted chiropractor or orthopedic doctor should be considered for consult/treatment. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Your ligaments should be tight again, I'd think.  Once aligned, the ligaments should hold although I'd expect a few chiropractor visits (yes, they can align them) before it's going to hold for good.  Sorry. 

Quoting LtleRayOsnshine: Ok I'm going to get xrays. I didn't think about them needing to be properly aligned in order to heal, makes sense. My chiropractor has a friend that will do the xrays for $26 each. Do you know how they can align them if they are offset?
Quoting michiganmom116:

Jukebox_Jenny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM
This was my experience, too. It fixed itself after I had my son. Immediately the pain was gone.

Quoting Wheepingchree: I experienced SPD while pregnant, not afterwards. It is seriously painful. Mine went away on it's own though. Have you seen a chiropractor? Perhaps that could help?
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Have you seen a physical therapist?  They can give you some good ways to help you heal properly.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Hugs and good luck!

LtleRayOsnshine
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:05 PM
An update
I've been walking every day and it's actually helping. I'm up to 3.6 miles a day. I still have to be careful when rolling over or getting out of bed but much better. I can't wait until I get my insurance next month and can get physical therapy, I'm dying to start working out and running again. Thanks for your comments :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)