Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What kind of support would help you WANT to eat right and exercise?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM
  • 53 Replies

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulalacroix
by Lula on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Great question. 

First I would like to make sure I'm doing my exercises right, such as my lifting.

Second, I don't have trouble eating the wrong foods.  But, I had an eating disorder for much of my life.  Right now I'm noticing my appetite diminishing even though I am working out really hard.  So I would want support with my eating disorder to make sure it doesn't reappear.

I'm not sure I answered the question exactly how you asked.  But this is my interpretation.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I would like someone to push me more at the gym - someone to say "you could add another X pounds". I usually (leg) press 140 15x for three sets - Friday I pressed 240 10x, 3 sets (I had no plans all day so I said why not). What's up with that?? I thought I was struggling with 140 but apparently not!

I would like someone to talk me down from pigging out after an extensive workout! Someone to hand me a healthy alternative when I just want a damn bag of Doritos! Someone to help me with my meal prep - I get bored and don't want to eat grilled chicken, green beans and sweet potato more than 2 days a week - I need other ideas (that are cheap and easy!).

I am motivated - but I need help maintaining and going past my self-imposed limits.
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM
For the eating thing, what if you meal prepped a little and set a timer to eat, say every 2-3 hours??? I have a really bad habit of not eating - so I make small containers of food And set my timer - when it goes off I eat something - even if it's just a 1/4 cup of almonds or an egg scramble muffin (baked egg with veggies). Something.
{hugs}

Quoting lulalacroix:

Great question. 

First I would like to make sure I'm doing my exercises right, such as my lifting.

Second, I don't have trouble eating the wrong foods.  But, I had an eating disorder for much of my life.  Right now I'm noticing my appetite diminishing even though I am working out really hard.  So I would want support with my eating disorder to make sure it doesn't reappear.

I'm not sure I answered the question exactly how you asked.  But this is my interpretation.

lulalacroix
by Lula on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Thanks for your input.  I know I need to eat and I do think about it.  I keep a wide array of healthy foods so I never have to resort to something else.  I'm working out 1.5-3 hours 5/6 days a week and eating usually not more than 1,400 calories each day.  I wish I could have a healthy medium between being overweight and not eating enough.

Quoting mybratsmom: For the eating thing, what if you meal prepped a little and set a timer to eat, say every 2-3 hours??? I have a really bad habit of not eating - so I make small containers of food And set my timer - when it goes off I eat something - even if it's just a 1/4 cup of almonds or an egg scramble muffin (baked egg with veggies). Something. {hugs}
Quoting lulalacroix:

Great question. 

twyliatepeka
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM

this!

I need someone positive that really believes in me. I don't have anyone to do any of that (IRL anyway).

Quoting mybratsmom: I would like someone to push me more at the gym - someone to say "you could add another X pounds". I usually (leg) press 140 15x for three sets - Friday I pressed 240 10x, 3 sets (I had no plans all day so I said why not). What's up with that?? I thought I was struggling with 140 but apparently not! I would like someone to talk me down from pigging out after an extensive workout! Someone to hand me a healthy alternative when I just want a damn bag of Doritos! Someone to help me with my meal prep - I get bored and don't want to eat grilled chicken, green beans and sweet potato more than 2 days a week - I need other ideas (that are cheap and easy!). I am motivated - but I need help maintaining and going past my self-imposed limits.

lulalacroix
by Lula on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Everyday that I work out, I ask myself "which exercise can I push today."  So for me today, it was pushups.  I added 5 reps to each set.  And it was easier than I thought.  I feel like I have to push myself every single work out.  And you could do the same, just pick one thing to push each workout.

I try to mix up my meals a lot because I also get really bored with eating the same things.  But my meals do include a lot of grilled chicken, sweet potatoes and beans.  I've mostly lost my appetite for junk foods.

If you and I could only get together, we could help with each other's problems.  :)

Quoting mybratsmom: I would like someone to push me more at the gym - someone to say "you could add another X pounds". I usually (leg) press 140 15x for three sets - Friday I pressed 240 10x, 3 sets (I had no plans all day so I said why not). What's up with that?? I thought I was struggling with 140 but apparently not! I would like someone to talk me down from pigging out after an extensive workout! Someone to hand me a healthy alternative when I just want a damn bag of Doritos! Someone to help me with my meal prep - I get bored and don't want to eat grilled chicken, green beans and sweet potato more than 2 days a week - I need other ideas (that are cheap and easy!). I am motivated - but I need help maintaining and going past my self-imposed limits.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Love these comments!

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM
You're starving yourself love.

1.5-3 hours x 5-6 days @1400 calories isn't good.

And, YOU know this.

Fight your demons. So very hard, I KNOW. But you're doing more damage to your body than helping it.

Knowledge is power - putting that knowledge to use is STRENGTH.

Quoting lulalacroix:

Everyday that I work out, I ask myself "which exercise can I push today."  So for me today, it was pushups.  I added 5 reps to each set.  And it was easier than I thought.  I feel like I have to push myself every single work out.  And you could do the same, just pick one thing to push each workout.

I try to mix up my meals a lot because I also get really bored with eating the same things.  But my meals do include a lot of grilled chicken, sweet potatoes and beans.  I've mostly lost my appetite for junk foods.

If you and I could only get together, we could help with each other's problems.  :)

Quoting mybratsmom: I would like someone to push me more at the gym - someone to say "you could add another X pounds". I usually (leg) press 140 15x for three sets - Friday I pressed 240 10x, 3 sets (I had no plans all day so I said why not). What's up with that?? I thought I was struggling with 140 but apparently not!

I would like someone to talk me down from pigging out after an extensive workout! Someone to hand me a healthy alternative when I just want a damn bag of Doritos! Someone to help me with my meal prep - I get bored and don't want to eat grilled chicken, green beans and sweet potato more than 2 days a week - I need other ideas (that are cheap and easy!).

I am motivated - but I need help maintaining and going past my self-imposed limits.

Mi_Chelly
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM

My husband has always been my pusher, supporter. He would handle setting up the machines for me and every couple of weeks, he would increase my weights, keep telling me I was imagining it when I would comment on it being slightly harder, then at the end go "oh, by the way, I increased you by a pound". He would do this randomly on different machines, so I would never know when it was happening. After a while it just became fun banter. Then his shift would change and we wouldn't be able to workout together again. I miss those times. I honestly miss having him home. Now I just show him my daily results when we facetime and he encourages me that way.

Eating has always been an issue with me. I am very texture when it comes to food, and have the hardest time finding proper food in the textures I can eat. I was starting to work with a nutritionist before we moved, so looking for a new one again... 

jcm28
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:01 PM
I love going with a friend dh or kids. But none of them like yoga I love it my issue is I am why to shy to do it on my own
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)