Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

8 mile walk/jog. What to do with kids?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM
  • 18 Replies

This saturday is a charity walk that is over 8 miles long.

For those of you who run or walk long distances and have older kids. (like too big for a stroller)  Do you bring them along?

My 5yo DD can still fit in a stroller but my 9yo DS, no.  We did a 3 mile walk a few months ago and he whined the entire time and complained about his legs hurting.

I know 8 miles is along distance.  I was thinking about letting him bring his razor scooter maybe?  I remember sometimes kids bring their bikes....but he does not know how to ride/has no interest.

Or should I just leave him at home with DH?

by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh yeah. If I could is leave all the kids at home. But that's just me. I have four and love "zen" walks alone.
Megan11587
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:07 AM
I would leave them home
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Unless it is a short race ( 5K) and they are registered to run it with me, I leave them home. I'm not trying to deal with a whiny 5 year old during a race. My 8 year old runs with me so she is not a problem...although for 8 miles, she would probably kill me. LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

KikiKia
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Yes I love running alone

Quoting MommyJill87: Oh yeah. If I could is leave all the kids at home. But that's just me. I have four and love "zen" walks alone.

KikiKia
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Yes 8 miles is rough for adults.  I kind of wanted to do it as a family and my DH is on board to come along this time (he rarely participates in these kind of things).  Oh well.

I'm jealous that your 8yo runs with you. :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Unless it is a short race ( 5K) and they are registered to run it with me, I leave them home. I'm not trying to deal with a whiny 5 year old during a race. My 8 year old runs with me so she is not a problem...although for 8 miles, she would probably kill me. LOL 

KikiKia
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Yes I think you are right

Quoting Megan11587: I would leave them home

cntrdmom
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I'd leave the kids home. That's a little too long. You can start training them. You have a 2 seater stroller? Start putting them in there and do a mile or two at a time til they get used to going along for the ride. Pack a few snacks and a couple activities. As you walk point out neat stuff they see.
My 7yr old runs with me but 2 miles is her max for now. If we throw in a lot of walking I might get 3 out if her. No way I'd get 8. Lol.
cntrdmom
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Just have to start them small. I want so bad to do mud runs as a family team. This one in April dh and I are running together and we have the 7 and 3yr olds doing the kids 1 mile. We have to leave the baby with my mom though. She's too little.
Start taking your oldest on little runs with you. It's a blast.

Quoting KikiKia:

Yes 8 miles is rough for adults.  I kind of wanted to do it as a family and my DH is on board to come along this time (he rarely participates in these kind of things).  Oh well.

Quoting mcginnisc:

KikiKia
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM

DS hates walking/running lol.  He likes dancing with me when we play our dancing games on the console.

My 5yoDD might end up being my jogging partner.  She likes all exercise.

I want us all to be an active family too. 

Quoting cntrdmom: Just have to start them small. I want so bad to do mud runs as a family team. This one in April dh and I are running together and we have the 7 and 3yr olds doing the kids 1 mile. We have to leave the baby with my mom though. She's too little. Start taking your oldest on little runs with you. It's a blast.
Quoting KikiKia:

Quoting mcginnisc:

mckinneymom918
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd leave them at home or at the finish line with a family member. 8 miles is a long way even for kids on a bike. And around here even for a 10k the kids have to be 10 or 13 (to run it). And especially if they haven't properly trained for it. My 9 year old and I are running a few 5ks this summer, but it will be a long while before I let her up her mileage past that. Their little bodies just aren't built for endurance right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)