Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What was your excuse?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 74 Replies

I started my weight loss journey in January and thinking back I thought about all the reasons why I didn't start sooner. I always had an excuse as to why I wasn't going to start. My excuses ranging from I might get knee pain and can't work, from I'm trying to get pregnant why start now if I'm just going to get fat anyways. Then once I got pregnant I was like well now I have to wait till after I have the baby! lol So what I'm wondering is what kind of excuses did you all use before you finally got fit?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mi_Chelly
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM
My main excuse was fear of back pain. For years it was always random, but I would have sever back spasms. But many of them happened after I would work out, or if I was overly active. 90% of the time! I ended up in the ER due to the pain. I lived in fear of the pain and after a while, it just became my excuse. "I'll work out after we solve WHY I have these pains", "I'll get back into walking after physical therapy"..... Now, I walk, daily, I just keep it slow and steady, if I feel pain start up, I stop and do the stretches physical therapy gave me. If I am careful, I should be good.
keisha613
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM
I thought "worst case I'll just go on a juice fast to get it off". But juice fasts aren't easy and they are certainly something to be done for life, so I did it the right way instead.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Honestly, I come up with excuses all the time.  I just have to focus on all the reasons why I want to get healthy and not think about the excuses I can come up with!

dee06
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:30 AM

I just didn't want to at the time. It was more of a lazy thing than making excuses for my weight gain. 

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM
'I'm lazy''i really don't care about my weight''i wouldn't be able to stay that way anyway''i love food too much''i hate exercise''i never succeed''I've accepted that ill never like my body'

All of which I firmly believe the opposite of now.
offrdngal
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My excuse was never really an excuse. I am a lazy person...I know it and admit it. I didn't exercise because I didn't want to..plain and simple.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:53 AM

for  long time, I didn't realise how big I'd gotten and when I went to the doctor - I had a shock when they weighed me. Shortly after that, I started my mission to lose- and I did. I lost about 60-65 lbs. Problem was that we moved to another state after Id lost it and we ended up living in a hotel for 3 weeks and then it seemed no matter what I did calorie wise- I started gaining it back, so I decided after a few months of tryig to maintain or at least not go back over a certain number on the scale- that it wa just way too hard and what was the point-which then led me to giving up and gaining back about 40 lbs...then we moved to Utah. I was cold and friendless there then I quit one job ( hubby asked me to-due to his mother in alifornia being super sick with cancer and him travelling back and forth) and it was when things started going bad for everyone- and I could NOT find another one when I started looking again a few months later. I got depressed because we were losing our house and we were so broke I couldn't go anywhere or do anything outside the house (took a 20 min drive to get anywhere to DO anything and with no gas money...) SO I sat around and ate cheap high calorie food and gained another 40-50 there.  I didn't care that much (I hated it- but at the same time was kinda like this is the way it is for me-you know?)  Fast forward through a move to Texas for a year then back to New Mexico which led me to now. I decided after another day of crying after shopping that I was DONE and this time I was going to make it stick. I have not looked back since that day about 2 yrs ago. I'm down about 85 lbs and this time I am working out and love it. I hope I can maintain this time- I have about 10 more I want to go for.   

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
For me, it boiled down to this: I've tried & failed a million times before, and I don't feel like failing again.

Of course there were always surface excuses, too. I started making lifestyle changes in January also. I've made huge strides & lost 17.8#. This is the first time in my life when I've really stuck with something. That something is making healthier choices, eating less, drinking tons of water & exercising some. Two things helped me finally "get it" -- 1. I'm turning 30 this year, and I really want to lose 30# by my birthday in September. 2. I saw a picture of myself from my senior year in high school. I thought I was huge, but I wasn't. I was just overweight & had I started getting healthy from that point I would have had 70 less pounds to lose. It was truly an eye-opener!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

lack of time. There is time if you try even if its only 10 mins here or there. Its something. Now I get up at 5am and go to the gym at least 3 days a week

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I started a little over a year ago. November 2012 and then the holidays came around and of course you know every excuse in the book happens then. Then, I failed a really important physical test going into it thinking I was fine, I was okay..........it was a hit to my self-esteem and my reality since this was one way I was going to put food on the table for my son.

After I failed it and then got hit with "Bob" (I'm not sure anyone understands that reference here but I had my first facial abscess and was admitted into the hospital for a week last year about 2 weeks after I failed the test). It was a HUGE BLOW between the two of them and decided that enough was enough and I had a year and a half to get my ass in the best shape of my life so when the time came around to test again, I'd be ready.

A year has come and gone and I have 4 months until I test. I'm in the best shape of my life but I've been slacking, reverting back to the same bullshit excuses from before. Gotta change that pronto!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)