Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas for core exercises while standing up?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm not having much luck with core strengthening workouts because the floor is booby-trapped! I'm good with upper and lower body strengthening, but pretty much every real core exercise I know involves getting on the floor. The problem is that I've got a baby who loves to use me as a jungle gym or poke me (lovingly) in the face whenever I'm within reach and I've got a dog who seems to think that whenever I get down to her level she HAS to lick me! Sometimes it's hard being a mommy. :) 

Does anyone any ideas for core workouts I can do while standing up? Videos would be great if you know of any. 

Thanks!

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaNeeNee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Do your core work outs while the baby is asleep and put the dog up or go in another room, with the door shut.
Other wise just do the tae-Bo type crunches
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Hula hoop

harveysmom713
by Rayanna on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Hip Hip Abs.
amberlynn1218
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:07 PM

LOL. I can't workout when my toddler is awake or he is all over me and under me. You could do some weight side bends to help with the side of your abs. I use 8 to 10 lbs for those. It totally got rid of my love handles!

CHGraf87
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I use resitance bands (you know, the ones you put the handles on!)  They work out fabulously.  So many different things you can do to exercise your core sitting, standing OR laying down.

Plenty of you tube videos for that too.

The other suggestion I have, is to use ankle weights and to stand with your hands on your hips and lift your knees to a 90 degree angle.  Can do lifts in the front or side (or alternate).

Best of luck to you!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM

we do some ab work in zumba...maybe try looking on youtube for standing ab/ core exercisies?

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 31, 2014 at 6:05 PM

These are extremely effective:

Start standing normally with your fingers touching your ears.  Rock your pelvis and head forward to crunch, mentally focused on tightening your core in the process.  Go back to start.  That's one rep.

You can also do side bends with a weight in one hand at a time.

Youtube and google have a ton of results if you look them up.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Sebbiemama
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Thanks ladies - There are some good ideas here!

I realized I forgot to explain that I don't usually exercise when baby's asleep because that's when I try to get EVERYTHING else done that I can't when he's awake. And what little time is left I spend with my 4 year old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)