Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working out & weight loss while pregnant

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:03 AM
  • 4 Replies
Hey ladies! I just found out that I'm pregnant the other day (yay), but I'm not sure how to safely continue working out and I also don't know if it's safe to continue losing weight (I was working on losing 20 pounds). Any advice?
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CLEKate
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Pregnant women should not intentionally be losing weight.   I say it like that, because there are always exceptions to the rule...

At your weight, I would guess that you are one that should NOT intenionally be losing while pregnant. 

In general, pregnant women can continue their pre-pregnancy workouts.  I believe the advice is to avoid heavy ab/core workouts and be more mindful of your HR--you don't want it too high anymore.  As you get further into the pregnancy there will be more limitations due to your size and such, but you have time to discuss those with your doctor.

With both diet & exercise, your OB will give you the best advice for your situation.

3xangel
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Thank you for the info!

Quoting CLEKate:

Pregnant women should not intentionally be losing weight.   I say it like that, because there are always exceptions to the rule...

At your weight, I would guess that you are one that should NOT intenionally be losing while pregnant. 

In general, pregnant women can continue their pre-pregnancy workouts.  I believe the advice is to avoid heavy ab/core workouts and be more mindful of your HR--you don't want it too high anymore.  As you get further into the pregnancy there will be more limitations due to your size and such, but you have time to discuss those with your doctor.

With both diet & exercise, your OB will give you the best advice for your situation.

MommyJill87
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I worked out during 3 of my 4 pregnancies. I walked ALOT. So many miles lol.
Also workout DVDs with light weights and just modify anything that doesn't feel ok.

Working out during will help with weight loss after but don't try and lose weight. Just keep on the healthy eating and moderate working out.

Congrats.
3xangel
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Thank you!

Quoting MommyJill87: I worked out during 3 of my 4 pregnancies. I walked ALOT. So many miles lol.
Also workout DVDs with light weights and just modify anything that doesn't feel ok.

Working out during will help with weight loss after but don't try and lose weight. Just keep on the healthy eating and moderate working out.

Congrats.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)